First time on Carnival-Glory VS Splendor (my opinion)

sayaguru

As stated I'm new to Carnival.

I just recently completed 2 cruises on Carnival Glory (B2B West and East Caribbean) and Carnival Glory (New England).

The following is my opinion only. Whether you agree or disagree with my opinion is interesting but please don't argue with my opinion. It is mine, we all have one, and each is entitled to their own. I say this because I have seen people state their opinions and experiences to only have others abuse them and say they are wrong.

OK as these cruises were quite cheaper and a lesser star rating than most of the cruises we have been on we downgraded our expectations.

Well we needn't have. We LOVED Carnival Glory. We loved the cruise director Mike. He is such a bundle of energy and just a lovely, funny and natural guy. We found the service and food in the dining room to be wonderful. I did not like the fact that you only got one knife and fork and had to use that for the starter. Eating escargot with a huge fork is clumsy. I can live without a butter knife.

We loved all the shows and the comedians. I liked the way they had 2 different shows on the one night so you could choose to watch 2 shows one night. The next night they had the same show but swapped the times.

the comedy shows were on at 7.30, 8.30, 9.30, 10.30 and 11.30.

Half way through the cruise 2 different comedians came on.

We liked the layout of the ship. The artists in the lounges were good. The only thing wrong was that they ALL had a break between 8.15 and 9.30. So there was no music being played between that time. Pretty poor if you don't want to go to the show.

My only criticism would be the buffet layout. The long lines were very annoying. And on sea days the buffet closed at 2.30. This is too early, which was evident at 3pm by the long lines at Guys hamburgers, the deli and pizza place.

Second week on Carnival was pretty much the same except the shows were same one twice on each night. I found this strange seeing as Mike made a point of saying how wonderful Carnival was to have 2 different shows each night to cater for people (as opposed to what other cruise lines do).

Splendor.

We were so happy with Glory and really expected more of the same. NO!

The decor is very in your face (too much pink for me).

The food was good but the service in the dining room was slow. People were saying staff was down but the head waiter said this was not so. But the dining room wasn't full yet people were waiting (my time dining). The waiters seemed busy but service was not up to standard. You got 2 sets of cutlery and a butter knife and a huge plate which they put the starter plate on top. Silly really- a plate for nothing.

We did not like the shows at all and only went to one. The visiting singer was fantastic. They had the Hasbro show 2 nights (WHY???) and the old boring marriage game.

Same issues with the buffet except on Splendor you also have to line up for deserts. Much worse.

If I had only gone on Splendor I wouldn't have been to impressed with Carnival and would probably not use them again.

I found out while on Splendor that the ships are changing over to V2? which is what is on Glory. ie with the different show format (Great!) and to the "American Table" in the dining room. I really do not like the one set of cutlery thing but I agree the butter knife and the extra unused plate can go.

We found the staff on both ships to be professional and friendly. I loved the fact that there were lots of Indonesians. I speak Indonesian and some of the shocked looks on their faces when I spoke to them was priceless.

I'm sure I've forgotten something and haven't mentioned the ports. If anyone has any questions or an opinion they'd like to share I'm happy to hear them. As I said this is my experience and it may or may not be typical on other Carnival ships. :D

I forgot to mention self assist disembarking.

I wish all cruise lines encouraged this. It's wonderful.

I don't know why they don't. It saves staff handling about 2,000 bags.

I asked what's the earliest time I should book a flight out of Miami and was told 12pm.

We got the call that disembarkation was open at 6.55. At 7.10 we left the ship, grabbed a taxi and were at the airport by 8am.:D

Luckily the airline let us move our flight to the 10.30 one.:D That gave is extra time in New York.