No Show

MELcruisin

I am booked on an upcoming cruise (2 weeks! Yea!), and the second person in my room can no longer go on the trip. I understand that there will be no refund in fare. I have seen other posts on Cruise Critic that advised that the best way to proceed in this case is to have the second person no show and wait for the port charges and prepaid gratuities to be refunded to the credit card.

My question is about how to handle the actual no show. When I check in, do I inform the agent that the second person isn't coming, or do I just ignore the whole thing and let them figure it out when the ship sails and there was no check in?

when you are printing your boarding pass make sure you print one with just your name and not for the whole cabin.

Can you still print one for the whole cabin? I cruise next week, and I had to print individual boarding passes for everyone.

As long as everyone is fully checked in online yes

I believe they recently changed this as it now prints individual ones without the option to print for all passengers on one no matter if everyone is checked in or not. At least that's what people have been saying. I think they changed it a few weeks or maybe a month ago.

What about if excursions are pre-purchased? I know we will get the money back from there, but when? My brother is planning on going on my cruise next month, but hasn't got leave approved yet. I was solo, so I added him, knowing I get the cost difference back, and so he booked the excursions that my group is doing, but we know he will get the excursion money back, it's just a matter of how and when.

What about if excursions are pre-purchased? I know we will get the money back from there, but when? My brother is planning on going on my cruise next month, but hasn't got leave approved yet. I was solo, so I added him, knowing I get the cost difference back, and so he booked the excursions that my group is doing, but we know he will get the excursion money back, it's just a matter of how and when.

Ordinarily, excursions need to be cancelled prior to boarding in order to get a full refund to the credit card. They need to be cancelled outside the cut-off window: 24 hours prior to sailing. There used to be a 25% penalty for cancelling on board, and no refund within 24 hours of arrival in port. I'm not finding that in the writing now, so I don't know if that still applies. So, if your brother cannot go, and he's going to be a no-show, then it's better to cancel his excursion more than a day before setting sail, just to make it easier on everyone.

I believe they recently changed this as it now prints individual ones without the option to print for all passengers on one no matter if everyone is checked in or not. At least that's what people have been saying. I think they changed it a few weeks or maybe a month ago.

I believe you're correct bobswife. I just printed the docs for a cruise I booked yesterday, and it didn't give me the option to print one document for all passengers, and instead printed a boarding pass for each passenger. That's the first time I've had to do that, as it usually inquires if you want to do an "all in one", or separate.

"SKY"

If 2 credit cards were used. How do they know which to return it to? Like do we just tellb them? I've been wondering. I want to ensure my cabinmate gets as much back as possible w/o it making me my part of the trip :)

2 credit cards. Did each book individually using their own credit cards? If so, it will all go back onto the other card.

Ordinarily, excursions need to be cancelled prior to boarding in order to get a full refund to the credit card. They need to be cancelled outside the cut-off window: 24 hours prior to sailing. There used to be a 25% penalty for cancelling on board, and no refund within 24 hours of arrival in port. I'm not finding that in the writing now, so I don't know if that still applies. So, if your brother cannot go, and he's going to be a no-show, then it's better to cancel his excursion more than a day before setting sail, just to make it easier on everyone.

Thank you. That answered my question and makes sense.

2 credit cards. Did each book individually using their own credit cards? If so, it will all go back onto the other card.

We booked under one acct and both names on it. But I dont think we ever said this goes toward mine or his. I'm thinking maybe I should just tell them when I check in so it goes on his card. Is that what you think?

If I were you, and yes I have had a "no show" cruise before, I would make my life as easy as possible and just show up at the pier, check yourself in, and then forget about it.

If refunds are later credited to your account just send your no show traveling companion a check.

When you check in all your on-board expenses go on the credit card you use and so you won't be charged for any of their expenses (ie, tips).

I would, though, have your companion cancel their excursions as soon as possible and not wait to do it on ship. They don't need to indicate why they are cancelling.

We booked under one acct and both names on it. But I dont think we ever said this goes toward mine or his. I'm thinking maybe I should just tell them when I check in so it goes on his card. Is that what you think?

One account. Does that mean your booking or one credit card? When doing on line check in, did each list a different cc?