Question on changing cabins

I am on the Gem on 11/23. Final payment was made. This cruise was booked back in January when the UBP included the service charges. My question is this. I would like to change to a balcony. I called my TA and was quoted $400 to upgrade to a balcony. I asked her to make sure the UBP would not change and they make us now pay the service charges. She said it should not be a problem. Also when we booked our ocean view cabin we got no OBC from NCL and $50 from my TA. Now NCL is giving $200 OBC. if we switch to a balcony and pay the $400 difference would we get the $200 OBC AND not have to pay the service charge on our already booked promotion?

Edited by firstprincesscruise

I think in order to get the $200 you'd have to cancel and rebook which a) doesn't work because you are past final payment and b) would cause you to lose your bonus of gratuities being included with the UBP. If you upgrade you shouldn't lose your current promos, but you don't get to add on new ones.

I am on the Gem on 11/23. Final payment was made. This cruise was booked back in January when the UBP included the service charges. My question is this. I would like to change to a balcony. I called my TA and was quoted $400 to upgrade to a balcony. I asked her to make sure the UBP would not change and they make us now pay the service charges. She said it should not be a problem. Also when we booked our ocean view cabin we got no OBC from NCL and $50 from my TA. Now NCL is giving $200 OBC. if we switch to a balcony and pay the $400 difference would we get the $200 OBC AND not have to pay the service charge on our already booked promotion?

It depends on what was the promotion was when you booked, not what it is now. I have indeed gotten the promotion for the higher category when I paid more for a better cabin after final payment. But you would not get the current promotion. Again, everyone's experience can be different. The key is it is after final payment AND you paid more for the upgrade to not lose and if the balcony at the time had a better promotion you should get it. Try to get something in writing from someone if you change, but it is certain worth the inquiry. I think where that does not work is in suites and havens when they pay for the upsell. Seems like they do not get all the promotions available at their original booking. Perhaps it is because of the degree of discount...who knows?

Again, everyone's experiences can be different.

Edited by drvalo

You cannot upgrade to a higher cabin this late and expect to get all your old perks plus the new ones. Whether you're in a suite or not, can't have it both ways. Anything you are "promised" on the phone better be followed up with it in writing.