Marigot and Grand Case?

beej210

Coming in for the day on ship, so we'll be there 8-5. Heard there was no sand at Maho, and that Orient was shut down and having seaweed problems. So we were gonna go to Marigot in the morning to shop and grab a pastry, then off to Grand Case to have lunch and sit on the beach for a bit.

3 questions:

-Are my assumptions correct and would this be the best thing to do considering what's going on there now (sand, seaweed, construction, etc)

-Should we rent a car or take taxis?

-Looking for a giant plate of seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp, etc) - anyone know of a lunch place preferably on the beach that serves this?

Coming in for the day on ship, so we'll be there 8-5. Heard there was no sand at Maho, and that Orient was shut down and having seaweed problems. So we were gonna go to Marigot in the morning to shop and grab a pastry, then off to Grand Case to have lunch and sit on the beach for a bit.

3 questions:

-Are my assumptions correct and would this be the best thing to do considering what's going on there now (sand, seaweed, construction, etc)

-Should we rent a car or take taxis?

-Looking for a giant plate of seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp, etc) - anyone know of a lunch place preferably on the beach that serves this?

No sand at Maho? Correct (right now). Things change.

Orient Shut down? New structures to be 'delivered' to tenants 'mid-November. You might be lucky, arriving November 18, but note that there are still a lot of beach bar/restaurants open during the (re)construction.

Seaweed at Orient? Sometimes. The better bar/restaurants rake it up before guests arrive. I would note that Club Orient usually has much less seaweed and huge wave action because of the reef and Green Key.

Rent or taxi? Do you know the island at all? (Don't know how much you got out on the island on your last visit.) Feel comfortable with driving? Will you be drinking? I guess a lot depends on if you're still abandoning Orient. :)

Grand Case lunch? The only place on the beach in Grand Case we've had lunch is Calmos Cafe. Their Mahi Mahi was wonderful each time, chicken quite good, but never had lobster there. The menu page on their website is under construction.

th_PA230008.jpg

(click)

Karysa will hopefully chime in here with a recommendation. She spends a lot more time in Grand Case than we do.

If you would consider lobster back in Philipsburg, on the Boardwalk, with a ship and beach view, consider Antoine's. Their lobster thermador was amazing.

th_DSCN1018.jpg

gary

p.s. Did you find you knock-offs? :)

For lunch in Grand Case DH and I love Le Soleil on restaurant row. We share one of their gourmet tarts and a shepherd salad and a frozen grand mariner soufflé. They have chairs below the restaurant on the beach and for patrons they are free.

I have been to Calmos as well and the food is very good. It's a little more casual and is generally busier and sometimes gets a catamaran excursion stop there for lunch.

I have no issue recommended either of these places along with the Sunset Cafe which is the restaurant at the Grand Case Beach Club. If you go their you can rent loungers at Petite Plage which is the second beach in Grand Case and that's where this restaurant is.