Recent Carnival Triumph Cruise

thefish

Just cruised on the Carnival Triumph. It was a five day cruise out of Galveston Texas visiting Progresso and Cozumel Mexico. This was our second cruise on the Triumph, the previous being about a year ago. This time we opted for an Ocean Suite instead of the handicap room under the ship’s bridge in which I had a difficult time maneuvering a mobility scooter in the space provided. We then upgraded to the Grand Suite, the most spacious cabin available on this ship. I said what the heck and upgraded even though I see the “Upgrade Fairy” as more of a giant blood sucking annoying mosquito.

The full size spa jet tub and dual shower heads were enjoyable even though ours leaked water onto the floor from the plumbing underneath the tub when using it. They could not seem to get this problem solved during our cruise so we used every towel we had to keep the water soaked up.

The balcony was long, almost like a bowling alley. Just two of us did not need all this space but spending the time I do on the balcony it was nice. I like to go onto the balcony before bedtime to relax, breath the salt air, see the stars, when I can and watch the illuminated water churn at the side of the ship. I also enjoy going onto the balcony just before dawn to watch the clouds and sky change colors as the sun rises. The vivid pinks and blues are beautiful. On one of the balconies above me our neighbors also enjoyed getting up just after dawn. They must have been interior decorators because every time they went onto their balcony they felt the need to rearrange all the furniture on the balcony. The metal on wood scraping, banging and clanging continued until the balcony was arranged in such a configuration that temporarily sated their burning artistic desire. Then, being drained, they would settle down and light up a cigarette.

I know, you are thinking “Smoking on balconies is not allowed!” You would be right but also it is stated that wearing shorts, flip flops, T-shirts and caps “Will not be allowed in the dining room” on formal nights. These are just meaningless words if not enforced and those breaking these pseudo ultimatums know it.

Now let me state that to a great part you cannot control another person’s behavior. “Some people’s parents!” So I do not allow this to ruin our cruise. But I find it funny that when questioning a charge or requesting a refund a company official (not just Carnival) will say “According to page twenty-four, paragraph five, section ten of the contract that you agreed upon by giving us your money it clearly states that we have your dollar and you ain’t getting it back” .

On one of my morning balcony sojourns I noticed the sun was rising facing the stern. To me this meant that we were heading west and back to Mexico. I hoped that the ship did not have the same GPS system that I have in my car. I love my GPS because of its sexy female voice that always sounds as if it is trying to seduce me. It would say “At the next place that you can conveniently and safely pull off the road please do so and look at a map because we are lost.”

In my mind I can picture the ship’s Captain and First Officer jabbering and pointing at an old, tattered Texaco highway map spread across a table. The only thing missing from this picture would be the Captain’s wife standing behind them, arms crossed and rolling her eyes.

Some things have changed since my last five day cruise on the Triumph. No more were the little chocolates left on the pillows. They must have been pretty expensive. It is probably for the best because no one wants to wake up in the morning with a square of chocolate stuck to their cheek and spread across their pillow. There was no more gold and above meet and greet in the aft lounge. Now I did miss this. You did get a coupon for one free drink on the last evening of the cruise but it is so impersonal.

This was my first non-lobster cruise on Carnival for formal night. I made up for it by ordering two entrees. I had as one of my entrees the Japanese Sea Bass, it was very good. The waiter did not know if the fish was from Tokyo or if it had been caught near South America by a Japanese fisherman. I did google it and it seems that this species does exist. I is also called Suzuki but has no wheels. It seems that it is extensively farmed. It suits me much better that Tilapia.

I did let the waiter know about my disappointment pertaining to the decision to drop the lobster from the non-upcharge menu of formal night to which he replied “According to page fifty-seven, paragraph eight, sub section eighteen of the contract you agreed to by giving us your money it clearly states . . . . .”

Otherwise the cruise was great. This is about our twentieth cruise so we have seen Progresso and Cozumel umpteen times. Because of this and problems of transport for the disabled we chose to just visit the shops near the dock. The weather was nice, our servants, I mean the crew was nice and the sugar free mango cake was delicious. All in all another enjoyable cruise.

I just need eleven more days for my platinum card on Carnival. I hope that the customer service cut backs do not affect the customer loyalty awards too much by the time I reach this goal. Otherwise I might end up with just two coupons for free drinks to show for it. (Stated with tongue in cheek, not the more painful tongue in teeth)

Oh yes, I wrote the above with two spaces after each sentence to piss off the one spacers. Some people’s parents.

Edited by dafish

I do know what you mean about maneuvering a scooter in the handicap cabin. Having sailed in it twice, I took to backing into the room and parking in front of the closet. Hopefully our neighbors didn't mind me making the "beep beep beep" noises when in reverse.

Sailed 10/5 on Triumph with our first balcony cabin. Best cruise we've had out of 4. Great service, friendly and wonderful crew. Had the pool to myself while in Progreso! We'd sail Triumph again if the itinerary changed. 2 times to Progreso is 2 times too many.

Edited by justusfour2014