Galveston Embarkation Logisitcs

troncofam5

Okay, I've been through the the Gulf Coast Departures thread and am not finding exactly what I need. I see a lot of parking suggestions (thanks!), but i have a specific questions. We are traveling with family on Liberty in December. Embarkation starts at 11am. Last year we sailed NCL (Houston) and half the family arrived late and we stood in horrendous lines with lots of kids. So, wanting to avoid that if at all possible.

Some questions:

We were wondering if an earlier arrival time would mean less lines?

If so, how early do they let you line up? (I know there's a school of thought that says arrive after 1:30pm to board quickly, but that just didn't work for us last year, so looking for some tips.)

Also, just to clarify, can hubby and i drop all our checked luggage with the porter, drive the car over to Park N Cruise, park and walk with our family back to the terminal to get in line? We are not in a suite, nor have special perks.

What is the earliest we can drop the luggage with the porter, even if we can't line up?

Thanks so much for your help in advance! Love this community!

My personal opinion is to arrive later than 1:00pm.

Getting there early and lining up serves no purpose as I see it.

The ship must empty first, crew must prepare staterooms.

The earlier you arrive, the longer you wait.

We never arrive prior to 2pm, boarding soon after.

Yes, you can drop luggage, then go park.

Early, all the porters are tied up with departing passengers - give them a break to get them out of the way.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you can't board before a certain time and cabins aren't ready until after 1pm.

Okay, thank you for the advice. So, two questions off that:

1. IS there a line of people lining up before 11am?

2. Is it feasible to arrive before 11am, drop off luggage with porter, then go explore the Strand until after 1pm?

Thanks!

We are usually off very early as we live a few blocks from the port.

The huge boondoggle is created by those arriving early, jockeying for position to drop off in the midst of those arriving to pick up departing passengers.

All the porters are assisting departing passengers with luggage - 3800 X 2 coming and going!

Then you have cars leaving the parking lots with a long line waiting to access the lot. There is always a line of people wanting to be "first" on the ship.

I really don't have a definitive answer regarding luggage drop off prior to 11am. The Strand is a few short blocks away, so easily accessible.

Try it, go with the flow and relax. You won't miss the ship:)

We are usually off very early as we live a few blocks from the port.

The Strand is a few short blocks away, so easily accessible.

Is it true that there's a footbridge that crosses over the railroad tracks and if so, what street would one walk to get to it from the Strand in order to walk to the pier?

Thank you!

Just cross Harborside; Strand is first street south & west of 25th street. There are shops/ galleries on Post Office also.

Harborside, Strand, Mechanic, Market, the Post Office. Downtown area is between 20th & 25th, Harborside to Post Office. Lots of restaurants also. Texas Seaport Museum

and drilling rig Museum on port side between 20th and 23rd.

Just cross Harborside; Strand is first street south & west of 25th street. There are shops/ galleries on Post Office also.

Harborside, Strand, Mechanic, Market, the Post Office. Downtown area is between 20th & 25th, Harborside to Post Office. Lots of restaurants also. Texas Seaport Museum

Galvestonhistory.org

Thank you!

Is it true that there's a footbridge that crosses over the railroad tracks?

I'm also curious about this. Is this bridge to cross over Harborside Dr. open to the public or is it a private bridge. (see attached picture).

Thanks

bridge..jpg.6673a745c8d66d61dfccb6eb0c900409.jpg

Edited by StrikeEagle