Come On Carnival, Stop supporting Montego Bay

chichigirl

We don't plan to get off the ship in Jamaica. On our first cruise we were cornered in shops by aggressive ladies who would not let us leave until we bought stuff. After we bought something all the other shops/stalls would corner us and force us to buy from them because we bought from someone else.

I personally do not like the place because of that and we have not been back. I know there are many things to do, and the only way I would even think about going ashore in that country is if we have a carnival booked excursion that does not stop in the local shops.

That is the only stop we've had that we felt any concern for our safety when shopping.

You were forced to make a purchase?? LOL!!

At gunpoint? Knife to throat? Your child held for ransom?

Are you kidding me. Forced..... I don't get it.

:rolleyes:

Edited by ObstructedView2

Same can be said about ANY Caribbean port................;)

Not really. Jamacia it pretty much the worst when it comes to pushy disrespectful people in port. DR comes in a close second with Bahamas being in 3rd.

One place I never get bugged? Cozumel.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

That is a sad story, but I have to say that his spouse should have taken away his ability to get money on his own. If someone is having dementia or lucidity problems I would think that would be a normal thing to do.

I've visited MoBay & Falmouth on cruises. I've actually been approached more often to purchase drugs (and more aggressively) in Nassau.

You were forced to make a purchase?? LOL!!

At gunpoint? Knife to throat? Your child held for ransom?

Are you kidding me. Forced..... I don't get it.

:rolleyes:

Ok, they attempted to force us. We felt threatened by the way they were acting, and it was a bad enough experience to make us have no desire to visit their island nation again. Everyone has their own experiences, I was just sharing mine.

Jamaica has an absolutely appalling record of human rights abuse. Women are still most decidedly second class citizens. Police will stand idly by while gay people are beaten in the streets. Truly awful and far and away the worst in the Caribbean. It is a shame because there are some really wonderful people there and the island itself is beautiful.

As many of you know...many of the ports that the cruise ships visit aren't safe and some passengers due fall victims from the locals. Best thing is to be aware of your surroundings, use common sense, and listen to your gut. If it doesn't seem right...it probably isn't. I've not attended any port of call talks on the ships in many years as I've cruised many times before. When I used to go...The cruise director used to always stress that the safest thing to do was to take a ship tour in Jamaica. Also mentioned don't get in anyone's car to get your hair braided etc as they'll rob you. Also if I remember correctly don't get in taxis with a certain color license plate as it wasn't really a taxi and they'd probably rob you. I was in San Juan probably 5-7 years ago and I got to talking to a policeman on the street. He warned me to be careful there. He said that year like 30+ tourists had been killed that year there (it was in October when I was there). He said they keep it quiet as they need the tourists money for their economy.