Surfing Pool

dave&di

The surf pool although located in the rear of the ship will actually face the front of the ship. In the event that the ships movement causes someone to laucnh themselves out of the surf pool they will land on the pool deck and flatten some chair hogs. If they have enough G forces they might even crash through to the Windjammer....:rolleyes:

The surf pool although located in the rear of the ship will actually face the front of the ship. In the event that the ships movement causes someone to laucnh themselves out of the surf pool they will land on the pool deck and flatten some chair hogs. If they have enough G forces they might even crash through to the Windjammer....:rolleyes:

Okay - that was WAAAAAY to funny! :p

I didn't see the commercial, but there was something on the Travel Channel about Freedom's new surf pool & making the commercial for it. Judging by the way it looks, probably only 1 person at a time (course, we all know how that won't happen).

And I'm wondering what happens when people want off that thing? The pressure alone looks like you are going to get shot backwards to.....what? A deep end pool? And someone is bound to break a bone at some point!

My friend is the pres. of a high-tech camera company. They're working with RCCL to figure out a way to snap your picture while "riding the big wave"! Cool, huh! Just another way for RCCL to make a buck with photo's...good for them.

I will be attending an RCI function in San Diego on Oct. 16th.. they're taking us out to the company that makes the Flow Rider for a chance to experience this in person before the ship comes out.. Should be fun.. I'll post some pics and my experiences. Unless of course I wind up in the Emergency Room -- LOL

Hi,

You can see this on the RCI website. Click on the Freedom of the Seas Demo and you will see the Wavepool come up first. Then you can click on some other features such as the Whirlpools that are going to jut I think it is 16 feet out from the side of the ship. The also had several other features available to see. If you don't have DSL or broadband it can take a long time to download but if you do it will be fun to see............ MJN

I want to add to MJN's post that not only can you see the Flow Rider/surf pool on the Freedom website but you can also view the commercial AND the making of the commercial. You can see how they filmed it with a green screen background -- looks interesting!

When you visit www.freedomoftheseas.com at the bottom right is "JACKPOT". That is where you will find the commercial.

We are looking at sailing on her Thanksgiving 06!

My kids and I have been on an identical surf similator - flo-rider. They are very fun. Especially for kids. Only one at a time - especially if they are kids. I would suspect there will be a line. The water is moving so fast, I doubt the rocking of the ship will matter much of all. If you wipe out you go flying, no matter what the ship is doing. Where we rode a flow rider, there were a lot of people who watch - you can watch others for hours, it is very entertaining. Especially the wipe outs - they can be spectacular - but I think pretty safe. All of the structure around the water is foam coated and soft. They only allowed one at a time. Occasionally they would let two only if they were very good sufers so they could stay away from each other without hitting. They made women and girls wear t shirts over there 2 piece suits - in case of wipe outs :-)...

Archived