New to Holland America - Veendam or Rotterdam?

marshaatn

• 1 month later...

We've been on the Veendam 4 times and the Rotterdam at least twice. Both ships are fine. We just got off the Veendam two days ago and everything was great onboard. The Veendam was in good condition, all elevators were working, I heard zero complaints about things not working, the crew was excellent, the food was IMO the best we've had, and we'd happily sail the Veendam again.

My husband and I did the "Around Africa" cruise on the Rotterdam in fall of 2014. We have also been on the Rotterdam in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2012.

Have always enjoyed the Rotterdam. Yes, they ruined the stern of the ship with the added cabins and took away the aft pool. But that shouldn't be a problem as you have a port intensive itinerary and will have cool weather. Rotterdam has one of the best crews that we have encountered on the HAL ships.

As for the Veendam, we were on the Veendam for a Mexico Cruise on the 19th of November of this year. I read all of the negative comments written on the CC Forum. And almost didn't want to do the cruise. Guess what?? We had a fantastic room. Fantastic service. The ship was in great shape.

Our friends had an intermittent toilet problem. Wouldn't flush. The problem was taken care of and they received a Pinnacle Grill dinner due to their inconvenience.

We loved the Veendam crew and enjoyed the ship.

As for which ship. Chose the itinerary you like the best. But if the itineraries are the same, I would chose the Rotterdam.

Also, you might look and see how many ships are in Quebec City on the date you are to be there. I do know that until the first week in September, Holland America is about the only ship cruising the New England and Canada area. Not sure if later in the season, the HAL ships can dock in Quebec or if they have to tender. The view of Quebec City is FANTASTIC from the ship. And you definitely want to be docked in the lower town when you are there.