Just off the Liberty - Any Questions?

rflan22

Just back from an AMAZING Southern Caribbean Cruise on the lovely Liberty out of San Juan 10/4 - 10/11/15.

Itinerary:

San Juan

St. Thomas

Fun Day at Sea

Barbados

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

San Juan

Any questions about the Liberty, the Ports or anything else? May post a review later on. I have A LOT of pictures. It was the PERFECT trip!

Edited by rflan22

Do you recall seeing a Future Cruise Desk on the Liberty? We are going on this cruise in 3 weeks and I've heard cruises out of San Juan don't have them.

I did not see anything regarding future cruises. Just the normal Guest Services and Shore Excursion desk. They may handle that at Guest Services, but i did not see any sort of sign or indication for it.

did you notice if passengers were allowed to buy wine & liquor during embarkation?

we've done this in the past at the San Juan port.

Yes, there were a couple of shops within the port after you check in but before you get to the gangway to board.

How was the food and entertainment?

Do you know if it is possible to have balcony dividers removed it both cabin want?

What were the best and worst things about the ship?

:o

We will be on the CARNVAL LIBERTY in March--but for a different itinerary.

My wife and I thought the food was wonderful. Guy's Burgers are amazing. Cantina is very good as well. Pizza was good as always, but it looked like the front warmer/display was broken, so there was always a huge line waiting because they had to wait for the pizza's to cook rather than filling the warmer. We were in the Gold dining room with anytime dining, and the food was terrific. If you have anytime dining, request Eric or Boris if you can, they both were awesome!!

The entertainment was great as well. Felipe is an awesome cruise director. The shows were decent, but we favored the Punchliner Comedy Club. We tried to see the comedians as much as we could, and we were not disappointed!

We had an ocean view room on deck 2, so i cannot speak much to the balcony question. I did overhear a group of ladies talking about how they removed their balcony divider (not sure how i remember this), but don't take my word for it.

Best things: Food, size of the ship (a lot of people on board, but never felt "crowded"), comedy club, and my cruise was very port heavy so the Itinerary was a huge plus.

Worst things: I think they may be a little under staffed in the Dining room, one night it took forever to receive our meals. It was definitely due to the waiter running around trying to get to everyone. Not complaining tho. Also, the Jewelry Fun Shop had the standard sales that start at 7:45 each night, and i feel that they were not handled the best. Felt like Black Friday every night, seemed to not be controlled/organized very well with guests going crazy trying to get the deals.

Mini-Rant: There were a lot of people on board who were annoying to be around. They clearly felt entitled and better than others (jumping in the middle of the buffet, clearly standing in the middle of a walkway or doorway and not willing to move their conversations elsewhere, etc.) Obviously this is not Carnival's fault and has nothing to do with the ship, but it was just something i noticed that i feel was different from my past cruises. But in now way did this effect my awesome trip!!

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Edited by rflan22

Thank you for your helpful answers. We have selected any time dining. I am not sure how that works. Will be in a different dining room than if we had selected early or late dining? (It doesn't matter to me--just curious)

Also, are we likely to sit at different tables--and can we request one near a window if available?

What are the busiest times at anytime dining?:)

Thank you for your helpful answers. We have selected any time dining. I am not sure how that works. Will be in a different dining room than if we had selected early or late dining? (It doesn't matter to me--just curious)

Also, are we likely to sit at different tables--and can we request one near a window if available?

What are the busiest times at anytime dining?:)

All Anytime Dining is in the Gold. There are still a few tables in Gold reserved for early/late dining, but most is in Silver. If you get there when it is not quite busy (usually around 7-8), then you can try to request a table if available. They seat guests in specific areas based on wait staff availability. I.E, they will sit about 20 or so with one Wait team, then move around the dining room keeping an order so that one wait staff is handling groups on the same time frame (apps/main/desert). You wont see a waiter doing a desert run as the same time as appetizers. But, you can still request a window seat.

Keep in mind that the Gold main floor is located mid ship deck 3, where there is the outside deck on the sides, so the window seats actually look at the areas where guests can walk about. You can still see the water very well, but its not quite a pure "Oceanview" window, if that makes sense.

Mini-Rant: There were a lot of people on board who were annoying to be around. They clearly felt entitled and better than others (jumping in the middle of the buffet, clearly standing in the middle of a walkway or doorway and not willing to move their conversations elsewhere, etc.) Obviously this is not Carnival's fault and has nothing to do with the ship, but it was just something i noticed that i feel was different from my past cruises.

We were on the Liberty in May, same itiniary-- and we felt the exact same way. The other passengers were really rude!

My family had 2 balcony cabins last year and we got the divider opened. Had to go to guest services and they checked to make sure they could be. Then called cabin steward who had already done it by time we got to room.

But not all open, or at least allow passengers to have open. I had found a link through this site where I could check if balcony partitions could be opened for particular rooms and then selected from there.

One thing to beware though is on cleaning day the last sea day they were going to close them back after cleaning and I happened to b there to stop them.

Liberty is my favorite ship, love everything about it. Wish it would come back to Florida, especially cape canaveral.

What did you do in St Maarten? Our to do list is the Star Wars store and Maho beach. Is it like all ports, taxis for hire, agree on $ before going?

We did the Anguilla Dolphin Swim which was a bucket list item for us. If your willing to spend quite a penny, this was absolutely breath taking.

Port is very similar to most, plenty of shops, bars, etc. Taxis line up right outside the Port area. Rates are pre set - similar to Puerto Rico. We got back from the Dolphin swim and still had time to head to Maho Beach. 20 bucks one way for 1-2 passengers. 3-5 i believe is 8 bucks a person. Continues to drop as you gain more people. Its about a 20 min ride.

Maho was awesome!!!! Be careful though, if you go up to the fence for a take off, it is EXTREME. Both of our sunglasses flew back to the beach about 40 feet. I was able to find mine but the Wife's were gone. I attempted to record the take off, but it was so intense that i had to put the camera down and hold on to the fence with both hands.

Most of the plane action was between Noon - 3 from what we saw. It gets very crowded, but definitely worth it.

Edited by rflan22

Great to read recent Luberty! We sail Nov 1 on Liberty and cannot wait. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. We have early seating and think we are in Silver. Looking forward to Guys Burgers and Alchemy Bar

You will love it! Quick note about Guy's - There will be a crew member passing out normal cheeseburgers and fries to keep the line moving, so if you want to order one of the special burgers (i think there was 6), you have to speak up and request that, and he will alert the rest of the team to make it. I saw a lot of people taking the normal burgers, but i requested a special each time. Well worth the additional 30 seconds it takes them to whip it up. Go with 'The Ringer' if your a BBQ fan!!!

Thanks for the review! We are going in March but out of a different port/itinerary. Very excited!

Any word on that thruster?

Are you referring to the fire the Liberty had a few weeks ago? I did not notice any problems with the ships movement. Was not rocky or anything. Seemed to cruise at a reasonable speed.

My wife and I like the old menu better. Two nights I had to go with the everyday choices. The DJ on the lido deck had the music so loud we had to go to the aft pool. I agree that some of the people being rude. We ate on the upper silver dining room and never had a problem getting our food. I also miss the table cloth I hate laying my silverware on a bare table. It was a good cruise with alot of ports. Getting on and off the ship was easy and there was two places to buy wine in the terminal

My wife and I like the old menu better. Two nights I had to go with the everyday choices. The DJ on the lido deck had the music so loud we had to go to the aft pool. I agree that some of the people being rude. We ate on the upper silver dining room and never had a problem getting our food. I also miss the table cloth I hate laying my silverware on a bare table. It was a good cruise with alot of ports. Getting on and off the ship was easy and there was two places to buy wine in the terminal

Silver had no table cloths? Odd. Gold did. Weird they would do 1 without the other. Agree on the DJ. Very loud but did not affect us too much. We liked the aft pool anyways to avoid children jumping in the pool.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the review! We are going in March but out of a different port/itinerary. Very excited!

Any word on that thruster?

Not sure if this picture of the letter pax received will be large enough to read.

Last week Liberty stayed in St Thomas until 10pm so they could do maintenance.

From Facebook someone said it was thruster related,but I really can't verify that.

1450129470266.jpg.70bb4d701fe1b8982a0f3a0425cef263.jpg

We were on the Liberty in May, same itiniary-- and we felt the exact same way. The other passengers were really rude!

I thought we had picked a bad week. Only ate in the buffet twice. Chaos. Just pushing in anywhere. Same at Guys burgers. Some going straight to the front just for fries. One woman in front of us let another 5 people in and they all wanted 2 burgers each. Would never ever sail out of Puerto Rico again. Lots of kids running wild too.

Saying that we loved the ship and the crew were first class, better than Cunard. Our wait staff in gold fixed dining were Ivan, Deny and Ozan and they made every night special. Our suite was great and the Steward excellent. Pleasantly surprised by the food too. We spent most of our time in Serenity, there are plenty of quiet places to get away from it all. Always sun loungers available too. Great ports.

All in all, great ship and crew, shame about 70% of passengers!