28 day Caribbean cruise

Glyn1947

This is my first post so it may not be very efficient. We're going from Southampton on the Ventura on January 18th. From other experiences how long is it before the weather is pleasant?

I would say slighty better as you leave the channel behind, a lot better by your first port of call (Azores/Madeira) From then on in it just gets warmer and sunnier day by day.

This is my first post so it may not be very efficient. We're going from Southampton on the Ventura on January 18th. From other experiences how long is it before the weather is pleasant?

What surprised me a lot was we saw no fishes, no birds, no container ships, no mythical sea creatures, nothing ,the whole way across the Atlantic.

About 2 days before we were going to hit land we passed a yacht that was taking part in a transatlantic race. That was the only thing we saw.

My second cruise ever was 3 weeks from Southampton and across to the Caribbean in January. Because we were going to the Caribbean, we packed all summer clothes. Consequently I spent the first few sea days in the one sweater and jeans I wore for embarkation. Had to buy new/clean warm outfit in Azores. Next day, the sun came out and from then on it was bliss!

Thank you for all your comments. Please keep them coming. I have so many questions.

Ask all the question you like.

We are usually very helpful on here, with good info._as long as its not about the new boarding arrangements!!!!:D:D:D

I was half surprised that Pando did not go out of their way to do different things for such a large number of sea days together.

bingo-quizzes-quizzes-quizzes...etc.

I think that was why on Arcadia I started going to the Art talks in the Whitewall gallery, as they were very different, and interesting. Ended up purchasing 2 pictures in the end:p

The lady who did the talks was a one off-very bumpy seas and she was stood there in a short dress, killer heels , and talked.

We were stood there, champers in hand, hanging on to anything we could find, listening to her....happy days..

Thank you for all your comments. Please keep them coming. I have so many questions.

Glyn, we are also on this cruise but have never done a TA before, however we have done Madeira and Ponta Delgado and we are expecting these ports to mark the change in the temperature, both ways.

There is a roll call on here for this cruise, and a group on facebook, neither are very active but please join us if you want.

Glyn

Welcome to CC. One of the things I like in departing from Southampton between November and February is that you never know what the weather is going to be like for the first few days. So, assume the worse and take some warm clothes to allow you to go on deck if they are open and the sail-away from Southampton. Then, if you have great weather from day 1 it is a bonus.

Once you approach the Azores or Madeira the weather should be good, and in my experience, the seas should be calm. I must be a glutton for these cruises as I'm on Arcadia in November and Oceana in January for trips to the Caribbean.

I agree with the English Lady's comments on the entertainment during the crossings but it seems that entertainment on several lines isn't as good as it used to be when there are many sea days.

Hope you have a great time.

Dear English Lady,

Thank you so much for the info. We're bound to want to wash some clothes. Do you have any tips? Do you take your own powder and how do you dry things?

There are free to use launderettes. Take your own washing powder etc. There are tumble driers and you have a pull out line in the bathroom for hand washing swimwear etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John,

Thank you so much for info. I don't like facebook but would love to know what is roll call and how to get on it.

Glyn, go to cruise critic message board forums, then scroll down to Roll calls and select P&O UK, from this you need to look for your cruise number, which is N603 for next Jan.

Dear English Lady,

Thank you so much for the info. We're bound to want to wash some clothes. Do you have any tips? Do you take your own powder and how do you dry things?

You can pay to send washing out, but its not cheap.

There are free laundrettes on most decks. I personally take bold 2 in 1 tablets..no chance of spillages in the case. I also take tumble dryer sheets as well (like bounce). The tumble dryers are free to use as well.

Another tip, if your clothes get static and cling, a wipe down with a tumble dryer sheet will cure the problem..no idea why, but it does...