Getaway Oct 10-17 Review with some comparison to Disney Fantasy

justhappy

Today continues to be a totally lazy day that was spent lounging up on the Haven sun deck till the sun was setting.

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH30bfpLfnC25dSWZaHj1HAMC&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmc.Ashwf.wIIUq5XXQQB.0MJ.iVOc7NfKRnJfnzSdBPYR.qnxAZJGLSAuN6L3o2X8AteF9ctwonvoWm0dIpAKFX7&rendersize=fit1200x800

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3myUkZ.dKFjZ-upXUwCB6HC&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmcuKvf-ViK1XTSSAAEezxseaM08PMNs0DTeGreko-7OyFENWw9KVk1Hqnl7EHrJtbCQIOG8rWdTW6vuuF-ZxfilY&rendersize=fit1200x800

Tonight's dinner was Cagneys, but first we went to the Grammy Experience for the Captains reception. We had received an invite in our stateroom. We went and mingled for a bit and turned down constant offers of drinks and nibbly things as we had a reservation for Cagneys 30 minutes later!! We talked to several officers and told the Captain we loved his bit at the end of the NCL "Happy" video. He promptly whipped off his glasses and gave us the wink he did in the video😊. Loved it!!! We chatted a while with a couple from Florida, the wife is a travel agent and we chatted about cruising, then had to leave for Cagneys.

We had a card in our stateroom to present to the Maître D on the night of our anniversary, but forgot to take it with us. We would use it on a later visit to Cagneys and we received a serenade of Let You Call Me Sweetheart and an anniversary cake.

Sorry no food pics from Cagneys!

We both ordered the speakeasy martini to start, and I had ordered the Caesar salad but ended up with an shrimp cocktail. I told our server and she offered to bring out the salad but I told her not too, I was fine with the shrimp and service was a little slow so I didn't want to wait. Mr ordered the baked potato soup.

We both ordered steaks for our entree, the 12 oz ribeye and the Mr had the filet mignon. I ordered the gratin potatoes for a side, while Mr just happy continued doubling down on carbs by ordering the Cagney fries and mashed potatoes. We did order dessert, but for the life of me I can't remember what we got. We were at this point on our way to a food coma!

Everything we ate was excellent, our steaks were prepared to order, and service though a little slow and getting the wrong appetizer, was good.

We finished up the evening by going to Headliners to see the comedian Peter Correale, opened by comedian Melvin George. Both were really funny, but we found after going to additional shows the Melvin didn't change his routine.

I wanted to shout "Isn't anyone going to help that poor man?!" If you have seen his routine and know the movie Blazing Saddles you'll get it. You'll also get my "wed wose, how womantic.

We throughly enjoyed the show and another drink, then headed up to our stateroom for the night.

I find the drink service much less in your face than on DCL, we would have to signal or wave down a server in Headliners, vs the Disney late night adult venues, where servers will be walking around and come up to you asking if you want a drink or an additional one. Sometimes different servers within a few minutes. In the Tube at night, they do have lighted bar menus that have a button to push to signal you want to order.

Our second day at sea was much the same as our first sea day, we just lounged on the upper Haven sun deck, after a visit to the Haven Restaurant for breakfast. Eating outside was nice, we just wish there was an ocean view there.

We loved the breakfast potatoes, always hot and crispy and nicely seasoned.

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3SvEsTz8EshART0bPslrm8B&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmcOym7yiH6GB0a1gOpbu07h.nmi8rasF8TThFQFLfFqj7xenX1beTeVLGrlWvOHFoUxJrTbVDggSHIdN7fnJOp6Z&rendersize=fit1200x800

At one point during the morning, Mr justhappy went to tackle the ropes course, he has a combined fear of heights and of deep water so he didn't venture out onto the "plank". Later on the cruise on Nassau day we stayed on the ship and both of us "walked the plank".

We went to the Garden Buffett for lunch, I'll say it again we love the variety.

Can you tell we love our potatoes! I blame our Irish genes, lol!

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3exygFFQRGP4Oqy9o.QS.HA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmc.Ashwf.wIIUKgTBM.FRQv7Tesew4VFKlwjcls8FMGIWJ56nBqX-4sGJsZ0YetmQp186bJda6iCZ6awtX87p0Ol&rendersize=fit1200x800

I found the fries at all the restaurants on the Getaway to be a vast improvement over the ones found on Disney ships. No matter if they were skinny, waffle or steak fries, they were always crisp and hot. The ones on DCL seemed to be only warm, and where the type that had a coating to make them seem crisp, even when cold.

I found the potato salad at the Garden buffet to be very good too.

We never had a problem finding a table, there seemed to be much more seating available than at the Disney Fantasy's buffet.

We also loved that NCL has ice cream that is not limited to soft serve, but the real deal, good flavors like butter pecan and also sherbet. The pineapple sherbet was a favorite of mine.

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3exygFFQRGPYt-Wd8VKc5iB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmcudrVsE7zai5f7zE7pN9BLaZDMazt3IBlMYwF4DlX33GGGUuXxb4HUFTwk.kbDm8bf2gtIV7r-L2gu.EQCpaqKR&rendersize=fit1200x800

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3exygFFQRGPYhF0vxYJtAZA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmc.pfGLe4O7Ow.V90UAxZA9Qg8lmzvgf5UfUVlNyA.PwFDfDDK2HRm.SpJS6pbfiug0PnQpovLHvdM7zlwm1.QkJ&rendersize=fit1200x800

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3myUkZ.dKFjJfyVD7HaLGBA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmc.i3tbiw7Hft830fRrE.HUZ8So5ftnhKOUU8svoyIhO5G.VTaYwRCcJ0BCw0dGEAd4PnQpovLHvdY8aOMfG71wk&rendersize=fit1200x800

procsimple?imageID=0iScF6lMHiNqgmJNbaCebdHQdUcL4d0mwNMbbinuqy.U5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH30bfpLfnC25tkJPR0fkQXdA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v40jJI6pPpmc.f43-cblilVvJvWkQ1qY-t0bxVwVRttkZTzHGt-EeY7TSd5eHxAtiFgJNiTpk7Q3KabsuBAkqNrB&rendersize=fit1200x800

Hello! Enjoying your report. I am especially interested in your comparison to DCL. We were sure we never wanted to cruise anything but DCL after our RCCL but the prices on DCL are crazy high. We are considering a cruise with our son and his family on Getaway. So far it looks like we would enjoy it, although we won't be Haven guests with a bigger party along. Thanks for writing this report!

Great pictures and nice review. With younger kids, we are really torn between Disney and Haven experience. You get more for your money with the Haven vs Disney, but we may stay with Disney when kids come along. Otherwise it was like being in a spa all week! Thanks for review