Rental car?

rdsxgrl28

we are flying ino FLL the day before our cruise. Just wondering if it would be better to rent a car for the time before our cruise. Staying at Embassy suites & cruising Royal

We get in at 930am. Would it be more economical to rent? Orbitz rate is $63 for a mid size. Trying to figure cab rates for the airport then to cruise. I also know we will want to do dinner, also hit store for the wine.:D

So are cabs gonna cost us less than car or since rental place has shuttle to ship would car make more sense?

Edited by rdsxgrl28
time change

we are flying ino FLL the day before our cruise. Just wondering if it would be better to rent a car for the time before our cruise. Staying at Embassy suites & cruising Royal

We get in at 930am. Would it be more economical to rent? Orbitz rate is $63 for a mid size. Trying to figure cab rates for the airport then to cruise. I also know we will want to do dinner, also hit store for the wine.:D

So are cabs gonna cost us less than car or since rental place has shuttle to ship would car make more sense?

We just had the same situation and rented a car from the airport, with drop off at Avis in the Hyatt Pier 66. I'd do the same again, even if the car was a few dollars more. We went to a wine store, dinner, Publix, etc. We liked the convenience.

On the day of the cruise, I dropped off the passengers and bags, and then dropped the car. I had to wait about 15 min for the Avis shuttle, but it was not a big deal.

Edited by clarea

We just had the same situation and rented a car from the airport, with drop off at Avis in the Hyatt Pier 66. I'd do the same again, even if the car was a few dollars more. We went to a wine store, dinner, Publix, etc. We liked the convenience.

On the day of the cruise, I dropped off the passengers and bags, and then dropped the car. I had to wait about 15 min for the Avis shuttle, but it was not a big deal.

Bob,

You already answered the question i was about to ask.

We arrive about a week before our TA back to UK and are going to hire a car from Avis , as they have an office close to the port where we can leave the car at no extra cost ( picking up at Miami) in FL. I was going to ask about dropping the bags off at the ship and then taking the car to Avis and using their shuttle.

I assume we drop the bags at the pier and are then free to drive off and come back later to check in? How close can we drive to the drop off point?

Which Pier do Royal caribbean use ( we will be on Independance) How far is it from the port gate?

We have been looking at the Embassy suites for two nights before departing on the ship. What is this hotel like?

Trip advisor has some negative comments, Although all the hotels in FL seem to have alot of very good and very negative comments on trip advisor.

Makes me wonder if the competition leave negative comments for each others hotels :-)

Its a bit worrying to see comments about roaches and bed bugs in rooms of hotels charging $$$ a night. Is this common?

Bob,

You already answered the question i was about to ask.

We arrive about a week before our TA back to UK and are going to hire a car from Avis , as they have an office close to the port where we can leave the car at no extra cost ( picking up at Miami) in FL. I was going to ask about dropping the bags off at the ship and then taking the car to Avis and using their shuttle.

I assume we drop the bags at the pier and are then free to drive off and come back later to check in? How close can we drive to the drop off point? No problem driving to the cruise terminal and dropping bags. You can drive right up to the porters. Many times they will help unload the vehicle. I usually drop off the guests too, unless it's just my wife and I, in which case we both go to the rental agency and drop the car.

Which Pier do Royal caribbean use ( we will be on Independance) How far is it from the port gate? The cruise terminal that Indy will use depends on how many other ships are in port. Usually terminal 29, but we have used terminal 18 when it's not Saturday or Sunday. There will be signs directing you as you enter the port. All the terminals that Royal uses are beyond easy walking distance from the port entrances. Maybe a 5 minute car drive, but this is an industrial area, not conducive to walking and dragging bags.

We have been looking at the Embassy suites for two nights before departing on the ship. What is this hotel like? Sorry, no experience with that hotel.

Trip advisor has some negative comments, Although all the hotels in FL seem to have alot of very good and very negative comments on trip advisor.

Makes me wonder if the competition leave negative comments for each others hotels :-)

Its a bit worrying to see comments about roaches and bed bugs in rooms of hotels charging $$$ a night. Is this common? We usually stay at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach and it's been very nice.

See answers in RED above.

One more note about driving back to Avis. Once you drop the bags at the cruise terminal, you want to exit the port on the north (17th St) side. This will be closest to Avis. Make a right turn on 17th St, go over a bridge, and there is a gas station on the right side. Fill up there, then go right across the street to Avis, which is in the base of the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel.

Edited by clarea

Does Avis have a cruise shuttle? I reserved with Budget, we figured just drop the car off & take the shuttle. If Avis is closer might go with them instead.

The Avis on 17th St. has a free cruise terminal shuttle.

However, I've read here (not tried it personally) that the Budget close to the port also has a shuttle.

The Avis on 17th St. has a free cruise terminal shuttle.

However, I've read here (not tried it personally) that the Budget close to the port also has a shuttle.

Thanks, now I can cross rental off my list of things to worry about. :D

Hi Bob, from your experiences, are the car rental offices you've used really busy when you drop your car off? Also, looking at the map, it looks like it's a bit of driving to drop off luggage and then back tracking to drop off the car. Is it a pretty quick and painless process? I'm on the fence between using transfers from the airport and hotel or renting a car. A rental is cheaper and more flexible, but I don't want to save a few bucks by adding a logistical nightmare. I appreciate your advice!

Hi Bob, from your experiences, are the car rental offices you've used really busy when you drop your car off? Also, looking at the map, it looks like it's a bit of driving to drop off luggage and then back tracking to drop off the car. Is it a pretty quick and painless process? I'm on the fence between using transfers from the airport and hotel or renting a car. A rental is cheaper and more flexible, but I don't want to save a few bucks by adding a logistical nightmare. I appreciate your advice!

The last two times we were dropping bags and people at Port Everglades, it was at terminal 18 (Oasis), which has a very easy traffic flow. I don't know how the other terminals might work.

One time we had no wait at the Avis counter, another time we had about a 10 minute wait because there were some folks ahead of us.

Just came back from a cruise and used Budget both pre and post-cruise.

The Budget office is just across 17th St. from the Walgreen and they offer a free shuttle both ways.

If you're on a Princess cruise embarking from Pier 2, you could even walk (probably less than 1/2 mile).