Can you negotiate an upgrade after final payment?

andnosyd

Just a quick question, we are booked in Celebrity Suite for our cruise in about 7 weeks and there are 3 Royal Suites available that have been available for a long time. The price has not dropped at all since final payment, so I'm thinking it won't before sailing. Is it possible to make an offer to Celebrity for an upgrade or ask if they'll offer a deal on the upgrade? Or they don't entertain this type of thing?

I've tried this a few times, been successful once, but it was not with the normal channels or my travel agent. I emailed a contact directly and he inquired and the upgrade was granted (current price was the same as we paid for the CS).

I would definitely try, but they probably won't do it (guess) at least until a week or 2 out, but by then, they cabins generally start to disappear (with those booking guarantees or ?). At this point, we just book that cabin we want, though we do love the CS on M-Class for layout, location and those windows.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I've tried this a few times, been successful once, but it was not with the normal channels or my travel agent. I emailed a contact directly and he inquired and the upgrade was granted (current price was the same as we paid for the CS).

I'm curious about this because our next cruise sails in about a month, and at the moment there appear to be a ton of higher category cabins still available. The guarantee cabins for those classes are more than we paid, but not an enormous amount more, but if you want to pick specific cabins the price jumps by thousands of dollars per person.

We're two cabins that want to stay near each other, so guarantee isn't really an option but I have to think that someone empowered to make a deal could throw a price at us where we'd get two cabins near to each other and the cruise line would get more money for cabins that I have to think aren't likely to sell.

But our TA doesn't seem to have that kind of power to do anything but get prices very similar to the options the website offers.

I'm curious about this because our next cruise sails in about a month, and at the moment there appear to be a ton of higher category cabins still available. The guarantee cabins for those classes are more than we paid, but not an enormous amount more, but if you want to pick specific cabins the price jumps by thousands of dollars per person.

We're two cabins that want to stay near each other, so guarantee isn't really an option but I have to think that someone empowered to make a deal could throw a price at us where we'd get two cabins near to each other and the cruise line would get more money for cabins that I have to think aren't likely to sell.

But our TA doesn't seem to have that kind of power to do anything but get prices very similar to the options the website offers.

Agency's book a block of cabins to get the discount, when those are sold they can not go back and add more to the group. If you move out of that group of cabins they are left trying to fill them at the last minute too.

So it is not that your TA does not have the power, but has no cabins in the category you want to move to in their group.

..but I have to think that someone empowered to make a deal could throw a price at us where we'd get two cabins near to each other and the cruise line would get more money for cabins that I have to think aren't likely to sell.

No, your TA is not in power to do anything like that themselves - except to call the cruise line and ask them, that is how it should be done.

Agency's book a block of cabins to get the discount, when those are sold they can not go back and add more to the group. If you move out of that group of cabins they are left trying to fill them at the last minute too.

So it is not that your TA does not have the power, but has no cabins in the category you want to move to in their group.

Of our 10+ cruises booked through a TA we have been in TA's group only once (have another booked for 2017) and it clearly showed in the price. Not nearly all TA bookings are a part of a group booking.