Anyone use Sprint Wi-Fi Calling on the Allure

I am having some problems getting a straight answer from Sprint as to whether or not these would be free or not. Anyone have any actual experience?

The ship would charge you for WiFi.

Edited by clarea

I'm not sure about Sprint's implementation but I don't believe any carrier's wifi calling will allow you to circumvent international roaming. In other words, you will need to be on a wifi network that is domestically based and/or able to connect to your carrier's cellular network in order to use it. I do not know if Royal's wifi while at sea would be considered domestically based but I suspect it is not.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 9 on T-Mobile so this may or may not apply.

We were on Freedom recently, and when I connected to the WiFi, with cell data turned off, my phone connected to the WiFi network and eventually found the T-Mobile network WiFi calling network. I received and sent a few text messages and did not see any additional charges on my bill.

I did not try calling anywhere since the WiFi service was so slow that basic browsing barely worked. I know Allure has the new Voom internet so you may not have this problem.

With iOS 8 I had the set up on land and was unable to get the WiFi calling connection to T-Mobile with cellular turned off. I don't know if I didn't wait long enough or if it was a change made between iOS 8 and 9.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 9 on T-Mobile so this may or may not apply.

We were on Freedom recently, and when I connected to the WiFi, with cell data turned off, my phone connected to the WiFi network and eventually found the T-Mobile network WiFi calling network. I received and sent a few text messages and did not see any additional charges on my bill.

I did not try calling anywhere since the WiFi service was so slow that basic browsing barely worked. I know Allure has the new Voom internet so you may not have this problem.

With iOS 8 I had the set up on land and was unable to get the WiFi calling connection to T-Mobile with cellular turned off. I don't know if I didn't wait long enough or if it was a change made between iOS 8 and 9.

Oasis and Allure both have Voom Internet (which is VERY good, I must say). On Oasis last week, I used T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling successfully on a standard Google Nexus 6 running stock Android. There was some echoing and packet loss, due to the fact that you are transmitting over a satellite connection. I wouldn't recommend it for a critical conference call where optimal call quality is key.. but for everyday calling to check in with family, etc., I would say it is very much sufficient. SMS texting is a bit slow. MMS will not function properly, but if you are wanting to send pictures, that is easily accomplished over any number of other apps.

Of course, with Sprint, your mileage may vary. Just wanted to point out that, from a technological standpoint, it works just fine with TMo Wi-Fi calling. Between the internet on the ship, and TMo's unlimited international data and 20 cent per minute calling that worked everywhere we docked (INCLUDING Labadee!!!!!) I was never out of touch.

• 4 months later...
Oasis and Allure both have Voom Internet (which is VERY good, I must say). On Oasis last week, I used T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling successfully on a standard Google Nexus 6 running stock Android. There was some echoing and packet loss, due to the fact that you are transmitting over a satellite connection. I wouldn't recommend it for a critical conference call where optimal call quality is key.. but for everyday calling to check in with family, etc., I would say it is very much sufficient. SMS texting is a bit slow. MMS will not function properly, but if you are wanting to send pictures, that is easily accomplished over any number of other apps.

Of course, with Sprint, your mileage may vary. Just wanted to point out that, from a technological standpoint, it works just fine with TMo Wi-Fi calling. Between the internet on the ship, and TMo's unlimited international data and 20 cent per minute calling that worked everywhere we docked (INCLUDING Labadee!!!!!) I was never out of touch.

Good to know. Activating Wi-Fi calling on my new S7 Edge as I "speak", and heading out on the Allure in May.

Tom

I just came off Jewel and I have Sprint. I noticed that the "Wi-Fi" logo was active indicating that wifi calling was available, but I didn't test it. I should have for the research value, sorry. No incoming calls came through either.

Edited by CruiseWookiee

On Oasis last week, I used T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling successfully on a standard Google Nexus 6 running stock Android. There was some echoing and packet loss, due to the fact that you are transmitting over a satellite connection. I wouldn't recommend it for a critical conference call where optimal call quality is key.. but for everyday calling to check in with family, etc., I would say it is very much sufficient. SMS texting is a bit slow. MMS will not function properly, but if you are wanting to send pictures, that is easily accomplished over any number of other apps.

Randy,

Thank you for the information. My wife and I use a Nexus 5X and 6P through Google fi. I'm hoping we might be able to text and call over wi-fi through the ship's wi-fi on Liberty of the Seas. I realize the biggest hang-up with be the limited bandwidth on Liberty.

Did you go into airplane mode or turn data off, or simply use the phone as normal once connected to the Internet?

I was on NCL Escape in December with the unlimited WIFI plan, I made and received several calls while onboard while my phone was in Sprint WIF mode. There were 0 charges from sprint for any of them but they were listed on my bill. I was using iPhone 6+

I was on NCL Escape in December with the unlimited WIFI plan, I made and received several calls while onboard while my phone was in Sprint WIF mode. There were 0 charges from sprint for any of them but they were listed on my bill. I was using iPhone 6+

Does the Escape deliver the kind of bandwidth which VOOM promises - do you have any idea what kind of speeds you were getting? I just wonder what the low end threshold is for "functional" wi-fi calling.

Tom

Does the Escape deliver the kind of bandwidth which VOOM promises - do you have any idea what kind of speeds you were getting? I just wonder what the low end threshold is for "functional" wi-fi calling.

Tom

WIFI on Escape was disappointing for a new ship but was good enough to make calls.

WIFI on Escape was disappointing for a new ship but was good enough to make calls.

For the first time, in the last few cruises I've tried, I was able to stream Pandora on The Equinox last week. I took its pulse a few times and recorded speeds between 50-300K (mostly on the lower end).

Tom

When we were on independence last December, I used sprint wifi and called many times back to Michigan. I did turn off cellular data and roaming although with sprint wifi, I'm not sure I had to.

We did not get charged extra. It was a great perk for sprint.