Room Service

tarheelmjfan

My DH & I are cruising on Century to celebrate our anniversary. This will be our 1st trip alone in 12 yrs., so we plan to do things a little differently. ;) If we decide to have lunch in our cabin a few days, what can we get to eat? FYI, we will be in an FO cabin. We probably wouldn't want a typical lunch. We're thinking a cheese plate, fruits, etc. Things that go well with champagne. DH said he would ask our server for choc. dipped strawberries a couple of nights to take back to the cabin for the next afternoon. Do you think we'll be able to do that? Any suggestions on what we could order to go with our champagne would be greatly appreciated. :)

A few years ago when I was on Mercury I injured my knee. My cabin steward treated me like he was my private duty nurse. At lunchtime he brought me th menu from the dining room and told me not to call room service, he would personally take care of it. So I did get the full lunch from the dining room. So speak to your cabin steward and see what he can do for you. I'm wondering if one can order off the dinner menu as well. I would love to do a dinner on the balcony if it's not too windy. I guess I'll find out when I cruise.

If you truly don't want lunch, merely something for your champagne, you can order a cheese and fruit plate, chips, peanuts, pretzels. We've done that for guests in our cabin many times. There is no charge for any of this.

Happy Anniversary

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Thanks for the info. :) That's the type of thing we would want. Maybe DH could go to the buffet & pick up a couple desserts to go along with it. I'm glad to know that it's free. I didn't know if we'd be able to get anything like that, since we aren't in a suite or CC cabin. We were in a CC cabin last time, but I wouldn't want the canapes again anyway. :o Thanks for the anniversary wishes. :)

cruise pup,

I hope we have a good cabin steward this time. Ours wasn't the best in June. We asked for a lunch menu a couple times, but he didn't seem interested in accomodating us. FYI, I'm pretty sure you can order off the dinner menu. They will bring the entire meal at once, unless you are in a suite. Enjoy!

For our anniversary we talked to the maitre'd at our dinner table the night before and he arranged a very nice lunch for us in our cabin (we picked out what we wanted from the lunch menu). We sat outside and enjoyed. We just had a balconey room. Room service brought us our scrumptious lunch. So don't forget to add a little something tip wise for the maitre'd and don't forget to tip room service and ENJOY! Congratulations and have fun!

I'll keep this in mind, if we decide to go the traditional lunch route. We were thinking more on the lines of cheese, fruit, chocolates, etc. to go with our champagne. Do you think the maitre'd will be able to arrange these nibble type things rather than a full meal? Of course, we will tip well. We always do, especially when someone is going above & beyond. Thanks again :)

You all have seen those signs and notices in the Celebrity Today that ask you not to take food from the dining areas so i've never tried (but certainly take coffee and juice in a covered thermal mug).

But one day at lunch in the dining room one of our table mates said her sister was not feeling well and wanted her to bring her whatever was good. As she was finishing her lunch she told the waiter she'd like "such and such" to go. Dutifully he brought a metal covered plate for sister. I was really surprised the waiter didn't say he'd have it delivered by room service. Has anyone experienced something like this? Thanks.

Yes your maitre'd can arrange cheese and fruit plates etc... Just let him/her know the night before.

Thanks :) Good to know. We'll plan to do that. Another question... Since this is asking the maitre'd to go above & beyond, how much should we tip him for this service. I was thinking along the lines of $20 the night we make the request. What do others tip? Thanks again

Hi, If you are willing to tip $20. it would be very easy to simply order whatever you want and pay for it. Why bother the Maitre'd? Just order what you want from cabin service. They are very accomodating and there is a speciality list in the cabin service book. :)

I've been on three Celebrity cruises and have never seen chocolate-dipped strawberries. Where do these come from, other than ordering and paying for them in advance from the Bon Voyage catalog?

The double chocolate seduction cake, from room service, would be good with champagne. Mmmmmmmmm.

Hi, If you are willing to tip $20. it would be very easy to simply order whatever you want and pay for it. Why bother the Maitre'd? Just order what you want from cabin service. They are very accomodating and there is a speciality list in the cabin service book. :)

I didn't see a specialty list in the cabin service book. I guess I was too busy watching the whales in Alaska. ;) Wonder what else I missed. :p This definitely sounds like a good option. Are the things on the specialty list similar to what you can order in the Bon Voyage gifts? I considered ordering a couple of those, but don't like the idea that they may substitute for something I didn't specifically choose. If we're on the ship, they should be able to tell us what they do or do not have.

Leela,

I love chocolate. That cake will definitely make it's way to my cabin at some point during the cruise. :) I guess I looked over that in June too. :o

I have always had inside cabins/oceanview (I travel alone). I have ordered off the lunch and dinner menus. I have had a cheese plate and choclate covered strawbarries delivered to my room when there was a mid-night buffet. The only thing I have never had in my room was a messuage (you can on some lines get this on a balcony).

Archived