Shore Excursions

hannah0903

Hi fellow cruisers!!

This is my third cruise, first time booking shore excursions..going to the Western Carribbean 5/14/06, bringing 3 children 2,10,13 and would like to know what is the best excursion for all of us, is it better to book through the tour site or through Carnival? I notice it is cheaper through the Tour company but I've read in previous forums that you don't want to get the times wrong and miss your boat. HELLLLLP!:(

Stingrays...Do the Stingray City..you go out to a sand bar about 2 miles out, the water is usually waist deep...The 'rays come and swim all around you, you get to feed and pet them...Definitely a MUST! yes, your 2 yr od will probably scream alittle, depends on how comfortable with water and animals.. but you can hold onto, or can stay in boat.

I would recommend using a private company instead of Carnival's...its a lot cheaper, and not as many people..you go to the same place, at the same time. If you go to the port of calls board, there are several listed there..I've used one in the past, can not remember the name right now.

Hi fellow cruisers!!

This is my third cruise, first time booking shore excursions..going to the Western Carribbean 5/14/06, bringing 3 children 2,10,13 and would like to know what is the best excursion for all of us, is it better to book through the tour site or through Carnival? I notice it is cheaper through the Tour company but I've read in previous forums that you don't want to get the times wrong and miss your boat. HELLLLLP!:(

Dolphin Encounter or Blue Lagoon!!!!! Book with Carnival the guides stay intouch with Carnival so they know where you are and if there is a problem.

that I much preferred the private tour. We went on one in St. Thomas (Godfrey) and LOVED it (he was very knowledgeable, friendly, accomodating and there were only like 18 of us on the whole tour). the next day we had booked a Carnival your, were herded onto a charter bus with 50 other people, could barely hear the tour guide, who wasn't very friendly, and only got to stop once to take pictures. I think it was a waste of time and money and I was horribly disappointed.

I think as long as you keep an eye on the time, you should be fine. and remember, these private tour operators make their living by the cruise ship schedules. so the last thing they want to do is bring you back late and cause themselves, their company and their company's reputation any hassles or headaches. Check over at the Ports of Call boards, the people there are GREAT and I'm sure could recommend someone reputable.

Hannah .... Your port stops are going to be great for the children. Hope you continue to plan to take them to swim with the stingrays! You don't have to even try to make your 2 year old get off the boat. The water is very clear and he'll be happy seeing them swimming around! The other will love it!

Costa Maya is perfect for the children. Honestly, right at the pier there's a beach and a swimming pool with lots of chairs at no cost. We loved going to Majahaul which was a very quick taxi ride away:

Review: Majahaul (the little fishing village) OnOurOwn ( posted on the Ports of Call Board under Costa Maya ... or just Click Here)

Have fun planning your cruise! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

The reason the other posters tell you to watch the time, is because if you are late returning Carnival won't hold the ship until you return. With tours booked thru the cruise line they will wait if the party is late. However I think there usually is an additional half hour wait until posted sailing time. Have a great curise and I know the children will enjoy the tours.

Archived