Royal IQ on Anthem

I didn't use it but if I remember correct it is 14,95 USD for the duration of the cruise (was a 13 night cruise).

Seems to be a feature of the App that allows you to send text messages to others onboard having this feature enabled and also you can call them (also trough the App?). Something like Whatsapp.

It says you can also call stateroom phones then which makes sense as those are IP phones also.

You DON'T need any internet package to use this.

Edited by UniPac

How do you make sure you're not inadvertently racking up a huge phone bill? Is turning the phone to airplane mode & turning cellular data off enough? Will the app still work with these settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The app wont work without WiFi. You don't need airplane mode, just turn of cellular data and you are fine. If you want to call someone on the ship, you would have to use the app instead of using the regular calling function of your phone - at least that's what I think how it works.

Thank you UniPac. I didn't know the cabin phones are IP phones.

Mom.to.2, I believe airplane mode would prevent incoming calls and texts, so if you don't have a plan that covers these features, it would be a good idea to enable airplane mode. It's possible that some carriers may charge you, even if you don't answer.

We have Verizon and we plan to start an international plan for only 1 month to stay in touch by phone & text. Of course, with Royal Internet service, email can be accessed. Not sure how fast it is on ships without Royals high speed Internet. I believe only Quantum class ships have high speed Internet, with it being rolled out on Oasis class ships. Rob

The app wont work without WiFi. You don't need airplane mode, just turn of cellular data and you are fine. If you want to call someone on the ship, you would have to use the app instead of using the regular calling function of your phone - at least that's what I think how it works.

I'm worried about my teenage daughter receiving a thousand incoming texts (literally) and that's why I'm thinking I'd need to put her phone in airplane mode in addition to turning off cellular data.

Will the royal iq app work while the phone is in airplane mode? The app connects via wifi, but you don't need an Internet package...just pay the $14.95 per device per cruise?

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not tech savvy.

We use Verizon if that makes a difference.

Airplane mode does not turn off wifi on my Verizon Android, so Royal iq should work. Most functions of Royal iq will work for free.

$15/day on Anthem will get you wifi Internet access for checking email. Some places on shore offer free wifi Internet, but I wouldn't type in personal passwords for banking, etc.

My original question in this thread was about the additional cost of the Royal iq based texting and calling of other passengers. Sounds like that cost might be $15 or so per cruise. I wonder if the person being called needs to pay that as well...

To be 100% safe, turn off cellular and data roaming, turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi and you'll be able to use the app and nothing else.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Can you answer the OP's query and mine regarding the fee to use the Royal IQ app for texting between parties on the ship? $14.95 for entire length of sailing? Do you pay for each device or only the one sending the text (not the one receiving)?

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Can you answer the OP's query and mine regarding the fee to use the Royal IQ app for texting between parties on the ship? $14.95 for entire length of sailing? Do you pay for each device or only the one sending the text (not the one receiving)?

I didnt buy it but there was no word that it would be different than "per cruise". And if the App works as I think you need to pay on each device that would use this function, except for stateroom calls.

Just for clarification, if your using an Apple iPhone, you can enable Airplane Mode, and then manually go back and flip on WiFi individually. When you enable Airplane Mode, it disables the cellular antenna in the phone, therefore, disabling the ability to send and receive phone calls, and text messages from your wireless carrier.

As long as Airplane Mode is enabled, and you then manually switch WiFi back on, you shouldn't have to worry about racking up your phone bill. The only antenna within the phone that will be on is the WiFi antenna to use the Royal IQ app, or if you have an Internet package, any other Internet feature.

Edited by AndyT3

If you buy one of the ships wifi packages (which I am planning to do), is use of the Royal IQ app included, or do you have to pay an additional $14.95 on top of the wifi package cost to use it?

The Royal iQ App itself is free and they just updated it so it also shows you the Cruise Compass - whish this was already implemented when I was onboard, actually I was wondering why they didn't do it initially.

If you want to use text/call feature, you have to pay the 14,95 USD no matter if you bought the internet package or not.

But if you and the person you want to call both have the internet package, you won't need to add this text call pkg because you can use e.g. whatsapp or skype to text and call without additional cost/without using Royal iQ App.

Edited by UniPac

The Royal iQ App itself is free and they just updated it so it also shows you the Cruise Compass - whish this was already implemented when I was onboard, actually I was wondering why they didn't do it initially.

If you want to use text/call feature, you have to pay the 14,95 USD no matter if you bought the internet package or not.

But if you and the person you want to call both have the internet package, you won't need to add this text call pkg because you can use e.g. whatsapp or skype to text and call without additional cost/without using Royal iQ App.

thanks for the info!