Live Escape report

KeithJenner

Hi,

Thank you for all the great info. We are on the escape first week in Jan.

I was wondering if you could get a picture of the Moderno menue, would like to know what the menu changes were.

thank you.

A very quick update about yesterday and then I'll try to answer some questions.

We went to Moderno in the evening, the second time for me after going with the family last week. Again, it was very good. I've not got a lot to report from there really.

To be honest, yesterday was a very quiet day. I and many others, were feeling the effects of the night before and everyone on the whole ship seemed to be getting fed up with the continuing grey weather.

I went to the afternoon After Midnight show, which was added after the shows earlier in the cruise were cancelled. These type of show really aren't my thing, and I managed to last 20 minutes before I knew I'd rather be elsewhere. That isn't really a reflection of the show, but a number of other people also left early. However, a few other people have reported really liking it so you never know.

After Moderno, we had a few drinks at the brew house, but I decided to have an early night so I was ready for a party in the coming days.

So, there is no DJ for dancing somewhere every night? If not, then I am going to be very disappointed!

Thanks for taking time out of your cruise to give us a report.

As far as I know, there isn't, although it isn't something I look for (I will walk the other way if I see one).

However, I have heard that someone said there may have been at the Skyline bar yesterday. I don't know whether that is accurate or not..

Hi Keith!

Great to see you are having a good time :)

I saw the menus you posted from the MDR and now I'm worrying that they will get rid of their signature starter ... the smoked salmon tartare ... I loved that and I really hope they'll continue to offer it.

I understand the full MDR menus have now been posted elsewhere so you can check.

Keith, do you have some favorite bartenders?

There are loads of great bartenders. Marciel at o'Sheehans and just about every bar seems to have Clarense in it. I'm not sure how many Clarenses are on board, but he claims he's the only one. The other night I bumped into him in three different bars.

As far as I know, there isn't, although it isn't something I look for (I will walk the other way if I see one).

However, I have heard that someone said there may have been at the Skyline bar yesterday. I don't know whether that is accurate or not..

From suitecruiser's "Live" blog:

Late night hit the slots again and the music was blaring from the Skyline Bar, great dance tunes, people dancing, so I think they finally figured out the whole night club thing. Very fun.

Hi,

Thank you for all the great info. We are on the escape first week in Jan.

I was wondering if you could get a picture of the Moderno menue, would like to know what the menu changes were.

thank you.

I'll try to get a copy and post it later.

Boo if they don't but I'll whip out my iphone and play music and start a dance floor wherever I am on the ship.

Hi Keith!

Great to see you are having a good time :)

I saw the menus you posted from the MDR and now I'm worrying that they will get rid of their signature starter ... the smoked salmon tartare ... I loved that and I really hope they'll continue to offer it.

I enjoyed the smoked salmon tartare in the MDR a couple nights ago, so it's still here.

I'm just going to do another quick update to finish this off now. There is still another day to go, but there is so much Escape information around now that this probably isn't adding much.

The change in the weather came just in time, and the long wait for it has made it even nicer.

I've settled into a new morning routine. A snack in the buffet and then a cup of coffee on the waterfront before a couple of mile walk before meeting up with others for breakfast. A couple more laps of the waterfront and then meet up on Spice before lunch for some cocktails.

Yesterday I went on the water slides before going to Spice. The two racing ones are still not open (waiting for a spare part apparently), but I got to go on the one that takes you out over the side of the ship. I was under instruction from my son to do this one as he loved it so much, and I can confirm it was a lot of fun.

Today I may have one last go on the ropes course.

As I suspected, Margaritaville was packed on the first day of good weather, but we may go back there again today for lunch.

I've also been back to food republic a couple of times, once for a snack and once for a larger meal. It's obvious in hindsight, but if you are planning on having a number of dishes then don't order them all together unless you want them to all arrive together.

I can say that the strawberry and cream there is my new favourite desert on the ship. Luckily we had already learned the ordering lesson before we went for desert, but from talking to the staff I got the impression that others had found themselves with a few dishes and desert all sitting on the table together.

Finally, it was Teppenyaki yesterday. It's only the second time I've been and I enjoyed the Filet and Lobster. The Filet and Shrimp had disappeared from the menu, but others were able to order it anyway.

I'm logging off now, to enjoy the final day at sea. If I get chance over the next few days (and if I can be bothered), I may come back and write some conclusions about the ship. However I can say now that I really love it. There are some teething problems as you would expect and the lack of a nightclub is an issue to many (if anything it may be a slight benefit to me so it shows how these things are different for everyone).

Lots of the issues have been a result of the fact that we've been crossing an overcast Atlantic on a ship designed for the Caribbean, and I really don't think they will matter as much once the ship settles down on its normal route.

Finally, we received a certificate yesterday for the voyage. Not sure whether that will be enough for those who were expecting a fanfare, but more than is usually received as far as I know.

Keith_Jenner. I will be on board nov 21 sailing and can't thank you enough for all your comments and pics. It's nice to see what we all will be enjoying very shortly. Seems like Skyline bar is the place to be in the evening to hear good music and dance. Looking forward to my first M&G and pub crawl. Although I'm in my 70's i'm young at heart. Thank you again you've made me so excited for this trip. Shirley (Gram)

Thanks for your review, and I look forward to reading your conclusions.

I imagine the whole "lack of a nightclub" thing will be much less of an issue in the Caribbean where they will likely use Spice H20 as a nightclub with the better weather... but I guess we'll see. It is actually a big deal to me, and if they eliminated it all together (which I highly, highly doubt) I will consider switching my May cruise to a different ship.

Edited by Dave85

Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for your review! We'll also be in a B6 stateroom and was wondering if all B6 cabins were connecting staterooms as shown on the Escape's deck plans. Also, would you please let us know what cabin # you have and whether the bed is next to balcony.

Thanks a bunch!

Regarding your comment about there is a lot of info already regarding the Escape on here; keep in mind that although there may be many posts regarding the Escape some readers, like me, have limited time to read Cruise Critic.

Writing your experiences, along with info and pics, makes me even more excited to sail her.

Thank you for taking the time to report...... I really appreciate the effort(s)!

Just posting from Heathrow after a very pleasant flight back from Miami. Had a much needed bacon sandwich for breakfast before getting the tube and train home.

Final day was very relaxing. We went back to Margaritaville for lunch (there was a queue but they were allocating times so people didn't need to stand in line). Very good again.

Yesterday, I finally got to spend some time in Miami. Only a couple of hours, but enough time for a couple of beers and a burger at Bayside. Tomorrow it is back to reality with a bump.

I'll try to check in again after I've caught up with other things to write some conclusions.