EPIC dining help- xmas cruise

hlsess

First timer here and I am looking at dining options- thinking we will do Cagney's on Xmas Eve and Cirque on Xmas Night...No idea about Xmas day- Is Taste or Manhattan better or about the same- do menus change? looks like Chinese and and sushi don't take reservations so you just go whenever... any other tips as far as booking ahead? is the Garden Café and Great Outdoors buffet decent?

We liked Cagneys but like Modernos was our favorite of the specialty restaurants. At the buffet, We liked the made to order items best like the pasta bar and the omelettes outside in the late afternoon. They also have handicapped ice cream at the buffet.

I only ate at Taste for breakfast and it was good. Enjoyed Manhattan for dinner. Definitely would advise making reservations in advance if possible.

The MDRs will have very special Christmas menus. The specialty restaurants will have their regular menus and you could have those anytime. We thought the Christmas menu was really great when we were on a cruise for Christmas, although we were not on the Epic for Christmas. They should be able to provide you a copy of the menu early to help you decide, but to us it was worth going to the MDR for Christmas dinner. It was very lovely and traditionally Christmas.

Edited by drvalo

thanks- they are both booked for lunch- how about the buffets? we just planned this very last minute this week!!

I am confused by this question. If it is a port day, none of the restaurants will be open for lunch other than the buffet and OSheehan's. If it is a sea day, there will be a main dining room open for lunch but none of the specialties are opened for lunch (port or sea days), perhaps there is a Teppanyaki exception, but I have not experienced that myself. Nothing would be booked for lunch and you can't book anything for lunch.

There may be special Christmas food in the buffet for lunch, I can't remember. But, more likely, it is just the regular lunch menu in the buffet (and at OSheehan's).

There will be space in the MDRs. They do not prebook all the tables. The MDRs will be your best bet for a traditional Christmas dinner (dinner not lunch). You can't make a reservation for lunch and Christmas dinner with be in the evening. Make your reservation as soon as you board.

Edited by drvalo

As drvalo said, you can't book in advance for lunchtime, and specialty restaurants are not open for lunch (except possibly Teppanyaki). You will have to wait until you are on board to see exactly what the options are for that day on your sailing, but if you want to have lunch in the MDR, that will certainly be possible.

In the past I have not seen a special Christmas menu for lunch in the MDR, only for dinner on Christmas Day. If you are interested in that, I would suggest moving your Cirque reservations to a different night, unless you specifically wanted to see that show on Christmas. Or if you have reserved the late show, you can have an early Christmas dinner in the MDR, and then go to the show. The food is nothing special at Cirque (unless they are doing something special for Christmas; again you will have to wait to ask about this on board).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

ok thanks that helps- was trying to do something special on Xmas- Like Cirque - is there much else going on during the day/night on Christmas?

The MDR dinner is special as we said and traditionally Christmas. It will not be the typical MDR experience. On the smaller ships, there has always been a special Christmas show, but I don't know what happens on the larger ships with the smaller venues. I am sure something special will happen somewhere. Santa will probably appear. In fact, when we were on the Epic last year the week before Christmas, one the of Howl at the Moon performers said he had been chosen to be Santa the next week. Perhaps there will something in the atrium or the other music venues might do special performances. When we were on the Dawn for Christmas, I remember caroling in the atrium. I am sure they will not let it pass without something special. You just may not know until you are on board.

I think the whole cruise will be special. You are going to have a wonderful time!!!!!

Edited by drvalo

thanks- think we will wait until we get there to decide about lunchand just book Cirque anyway that night=? about Howl at the Moon -is it a show ? we went to howl at the moon in Chicago and it was really fun!!

thanks- think we will wait until we get there to decide about lunchand just book Cirque anyway that night=? about Howl at the Moon -is it a show ? we went to howl at the moon in Chicago and it was really fun!!

I think we are on the same cruise - 19th Dec on Epic?? I seem to remember seeing a post from you.

I am travelling with my son and his family who will be flying over from Dubai (where they are based) and because we did not want to be eating too late with the twin grandsons we have booked 6.30 pm slots in either Tastes or Manhattan each evening. Only exceptions are for the Cirque Dreams which we have booked for night of 20th.

We have also booked Priscilla and Burn the Floor and we lucky enough to get the early performances so will just grab a quick meal in the Buffet on those two evenings. The later show times would have been too late for the boys and with early dinners/shows it does mean we have time to go to other things around the ship of an evening.

I was on Epic in June last year and found the main dining rooms perfectly OK. Did eat in Cagneys on one occasion but did not feel it was over-special. From a personal choice cannot see any point in paying extra for food when the main dining rooms/buffet are good.

I would certainly get your dinner reservations sorted out prior to sailing as you may not have a lot of choice time-wise. Also book the shows as these are selling out fast. Good Luck with your plans

Have you signed up for the Meet & Greet and the Secret Santa yet? You will find the details posted by Jo (Jodieh12) on the roll call. Hope to meet you on 20th

Suzanne

P.S. Howl at the Moon is a show in one of the bars. I saw this last year and it was great fun.

Yes, it's the same kind of show as you saw in Chicago, and, yes, it is great fun. I am not sure if it is still on the Epic. It was when it was here in the U.S. No reservation needed. It's late in the evening so, if you see it in the Freestyle Daily, then go and sing along. Try to sit towards the front as the chairs are more comfortable. They had it two or three evenings during our cruise last December.

thanks- I booked shows and dining- ? about breakfast and lunch- buffets and MDR's only? no specialty places open? was reading another review and said she went to cagney's for lunch/breakfast but on different ship....

thanks- I booked shows and dining- ? about breakfast and lunch- buffets and MDR's only? no specialty places open? was reading another review and said she went to cagney's for lunch/breakfast but on different ship....

Any discussion regarding breakfast and lunch at Cagney's is for suite guests only. If you're in a full suite, not a mini suite, you will have a specific place for breakfast and lunch.

As stated above, you cannot pre-book anything for lunch. On port days, the options are usually limited to the buffet (and O'Sheehan's), since most people are off the ship. On sea days, there will be more choices for lunch, but the specialty restaurants will still be closed (except possibly Teppanyaki, as mentioned already). There may do the Jazz Brunch or a murder mystery lunch or some other special lunch. But you won't know exactly what is available until you are on board, so there is not much more you can do about it right now.

Your breakfast options are: MDR, buffet, O'Sheehan's, room service, cake from the coffee bar, candy from the gift shop, liquor from the mini-bar… :p Breakfast is the same every day and there is no need to plan ahead or book anything, just go and eat :D (and drink bloody marys, mimosas, screwdrivers, etc.!)

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Hi,also new cruiser with Norwegian and see that dress code calls for shirts with collars in various dining areas . How strictly is this applied as a large number of my smarter shirts are in the no collared variety, not T Shirts but cotton button through.Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Ok. Thx. I'll book what I can tomorrow. .. I joined roll call but not sure when meet and greet is. Hopefully I'll figure it out!

The meet & greet is scheduled for 11 a.m on Sunday 20th and will be held in Fat Cats - this may have been renamed as the Cavern Club with the re-fit but am not sure, no doubt Jo who is organising the meeting will let us know. If you have not done so already sign in on the meet & greet sheet which Jo has mentioned in the roll call. Will you also be taking part in the Secret Santa which is taking place at the M&G - should be fun.

Hope you are managing to get all your various bookings sorted out.

See you on 20th

Suzanne

The meet & greet is scheduled for 11 a.m on Sunday 20th and will be held in Fat Cats - this may have been renamed as the Cavern Club with the re-fit but am not sure, no doubt Jo who is organising the meeting will let us know. If you have not done so already sign in on the meet & greet sheet which Jo has mentioned in the roll call. Will you also be taking part in the Secret Santa which is taking place at the M&G - should be fun.

Hope you are managing to get all your various bookings sorted out.

See you on 20th

Suzanne

yes I went ahead and booked the 3 shows and xmas Eve dinner and a couple of nights dinners at Taste and Manhattan.... I was trying to figure out how to change(just in case) in MY NCL but couldn't find out how to do it if needed

yes I went ahead and booked the 3 shows and xmas Eve dinner and a couple of nights dinners at Taste and Manhattan.... I was trying to figure out how to change(just in case) in MY NCL but couldn't find out how to do it if needed

You can't make changes to dining reservations on-line, you need to call NCL to have them make your changes. Ask for an e-mail receipt from the NCL rep after making those changes.

About Christmas dinner, also Thanksgiving for that matter. When people speak of "traditional" dinner, don't expect a roast turkey to be carved. The use those boneless formed turkey rolls that are sliced and served with gravy. Someones version of stuffing, mashed potato, cranberry sauce etc. Much prefer one of the specialties, but to each his/her own. Beautiful decorations go up at Thanksgiving so the ships are pretty. Some Christmas music piped around the ship's common areas.

They do have whole roasted turkeys and giant hams etc. and they actually look quite impressive… but you have to go to the buffet to see/eat them. :) This is not specifically for holidays, there's a carving station pretty much every day. The prime rib is also quite a sight when they first bring it out (and also quite amazing how quickly it disappears).

Hi Suzanne we a have similar plans regarding early dining. What are the main differences between the two MDRs (The Manhattan and Taste)?

I heard that Moderno is nice as a speciality dining room. May I ask you what charge you are seeing for Cirque Dreams as there seems to be some differential pricing there based on location or other factors?

I think we are on the same cruise - 19th Dec on Epic?? I seem to remember seeing a post from you.

I am travelling with my son and his family who will be flying over from Dubai (where they are based) and because we did not want to be eating too late with the twin grandsons we have booked 6.30 pm slots in either Tastes or Manhattan each evening. Only exceptions are for the Cirque Dreams which we have booked for night of 20th.

We have also booked Priscilla and Burn the Floor and we lucky enough to get the early performances so will just grab a quick meal in the Buffet on those two evenings. The later show times would have been too late for the boys and with early dinners/shows it does mean we have time to go to other things around the ship of an evening.

I was on Epic in June last year and found the main dining rooms perfectly OK. Did eat in Cagneys on one occasion but did not feel it was over-special. From a personal choice cannot see any point in paying extra for food when the main dining rooms/buffet are good.

I would certainly get your dinner reservations sorted out prior to sailing as you may not have a lot of choice time-wise. Also book the shows as these are selling out fast. Good Luck with your plans

Have you signed up for the Meet & Greet and the Secret Santa yet? You will find the details posted by Jo (Jodieh12) on the roll call. Hope to meet you on 20th

Suzanne

P.S. Howl at the Moon is a show in one of the bars. I saw this last year and it was great fun.

Hi Suzanne we a have similar plans regarding early dining. What are the main differences between the two MDRs (The Manhattan and Taste)?

I heard that Moderno is nice as a speciality dining room. May I ask you what charge you are seeing for Cirque Dreams as there seems to be some differential pricing there based on location or other factors?

both manhattan and taste have similar menus, but manhattan is the dressier venue. Sometimes there is ballroom dancing/swing band etc, but then I've been in taste with piano's and violin playing...

Taste is more a smart casual restaurant in comparison - I prefer it, but each to their own.

Cirque has 2 price bands I believe - premium seating is upstairs.