Netherlands cruise on Kings Day

JPH814

I just realized we will be in Nijmegen on April 27 2016 (Kings Day) onboard a Uniworld River Cruise.

Does anyone have any idea how this may impact - negatively or positively - our days activities? I imagine it would be like being in a US city on July 4th. A lot of special things going on, but also some things closed and unavailable. Since April is a huge time for river cruises in Holland, I imagine this is a common occurrence.

Help anyone?

Edited by JPH814

I just realized we will be in Nijmegen on April 27 2016 (Kings Day) onboard a Uniworld River Cruise.

Does anyone have any idea how this may impact - negatively or positively - our days activities? I imagine it would be like being in a US city on July 4th. A lot of special things going on, but also some things closed and unavailable. Since April is a huge time for river cruises in Holland, I imagine this is a common occurrence.

Help anyone?

We were in Nijmegen on what was then Queen's Day and the whole place goes NUTS!!! The entire town (and country from what I hear) turns into a giant yard sale, very few, if any, stores or shops are open, everybody wears orange (we bought orange feather boas) and it was a BLAST!!!!:D

We lived in the NL for 4+ years. The Dutch greatly revere their royal family (Family of Orange) and the reigning monarch. This is a widely celebrated holiday . . . all non-emergency government functions will be closed as will large businesses and most shops.

I don't know if Nijmegen has a "funfair" (sort of a street carnival), but the atmosphere should be sufficiently festive to ensure you have a good time, regardless.

Have fun!

I appreciate the information about Kings Day. I am sure it would be a blast

however, I am interested more of what will happen to the itinerary. For example we are scheduled to be in town that day and we are scheduled to visit a World War II museum and also an art museum. I assume there's a good chance those museums will be closed.

I wonder if the cruise line will provide alternate excursions for that day or possibly even change the itinerary. That's why I was looking a little more specifically for experiences of people on a cruise on king or queen's day in holland.

Edited by JPH814

I appreciate the information about Kings Day. I am sure it would be a blast

however, I am interested more of what will happen to the itinerary. For example we are scheduled to be in town that day and we are scheduled to visit a World War II museum and also an art museum. I assume there's a good chance those museums will be closed.

I wonder if the cruise line will provide alternate excursions for that day or possibly even change the itinerary. That's why I was looking a little more specifically for experiences of people on a cruise on king or queen's day in holland.

We were on the cruise on Queen's Day. The WWII museum was open as that's where my husband went. I seem to recall the art museum being privately owned and open as well, at least for cruise passengers. I went to town (easy walk from ship) looking for a drug store, and virtually everything was closed. You could try googling the WWII and art museums for further information, but I don't recall there being any negative impact on our itinerary.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Like in many other places Museums etc will be open. Some (not all) shops will be open during the morning, closed the rest of the day.

Public transport will be a mess, expect lots of visitors city center. Yes The Netherlands turns into one big market and fair that day.

Wear Orange!