Help?!?!?What to pack?

dr-dom

My family and I are taking a cruise the end of June. Celebrity cruises...the Century. It is for my mother-in-laws 65th birthday so along with my husband, myself and our two girls will be my mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister in laws, brothers in law, and their kids!!! Now if we were taking a cruise alone dress wouldn't be a problem, but since my mother in law wants everyone together , every night, for 6:00 dinner in the dining room, for 7 nights, I'm at a loss as what to bring!!! Do we dress up every night? Are some of the dinners in the dining room formal (i.e. long dresses, tuxes etc.) and are they manditory? We are a very casual family, we live in Florida so most of our wardrobe consists of t-shirts and shorts. Does this cruise mean we need a whole new wardrobe? What about the kids how dressy do they need to get...they are 10 and 6.? I would welcome anyone with some REALISTIC advice. This is turning into more work than fun we only wanted to get away and relax. Thanks!!!

Dr:

Looks like this is your lucky day! Get out there and do some major shopping! icon_biggrin.gif

You have chosen a great ship, but one where passengers tend to dress more formally than other ships.

Your Florida wear will NOT even be acceptable for casual nights. Sorry! They won't allow shorts in the dining room after 6pm.

Your MIL is also going to have a problem getting all of you together in the dining room at 6PM. They won't open the doors for anyone even groups until dinner time at 6:30. Maybe you can get the gang together in a lounge nearby for her required meeting. Have you requested a large table for the dining room?

Check your documents for info on dress. 2 formal evenings, 2 informal evenings (think semi-formal for this one), the rest are casual (but no jeans or shorts).

Your Florida-wear will be fine for daytime activities and shore fun. Just start looking for appropriate evening attire.

Hopefully you will enjoy the Century as much as I do. I have sailed her 3 times and will do it again soon. icon_cool.gif

Now get out there and SHOP--SHOP--SHOP!! icon_biggrin.gif Your sail date is drawing near!!

For the formal nights- think long dress, fancy cocktail dress( something you would wear to a wedding) semi-formal, means for the men a sportjacket and I usually take a pantsuit or nice little sun dress, for casual I usually wear a nice pair of(not denim) capris and top. Celebrity does not allow shorts and t-shirts in the dining room at night- that includes jeans, for formal night my husband( if he doesn't take his Tux, takes his black suit Hope that helps=Celebrity is dresser that RCCL and Princess

norm

And you can rent tuxes and dinner jackets for the guys at quite a resonable price so that's more money to spend on the girlie, girlie stuff.

I like the stuff they call 'slinky knit' you can wad it up in your suit case and it doesn't wrinle, it skims the body instead of clinging and you can get seperates, long skirts, pants, tops with sequins, etc and kind of mix and match. Pair it with some rhinestone heels fancy jewelry and you're set. I, to, do sundresses for informal, little dressier ones with sandle type heels and capris for casual.

And don't forget, now that you.ve got the whole family dressed up, take the formal pictures. Take them with every background. They don't cost anything to take and then you can pick the best ones. I'll bet you haven't had family pictures with the guys in tuxes since there were weddings!

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Don't let the fashion divas stress you out. you do not need a whole new wardrobe (though it might be fun to get one! icon_biggrin.gif) I LOVE to get new cruise clothes, but I can understand that you don't want to do more than you have to. The required meeting with the MIL sounds stressy enough. icon_razz.gif

For the 2 formal nights, the guys can rent tuxes on board (there should be info at the Celebrity website about doing it ahead of time). Easy. Or, a dark suit if they have it (Take a white shirt and 2 ties, send the shirt the laundry in between). For the rest of the evenings, long pants (not jeans) and a buttoned shirt or polo shirt, maybe with a sport coat for informal nights (even in Florida, that can be worn again during cooler weather).

For the ladies, not a problem doing separates. You should be able to find an ankle length black skirt somewhere for not much $$. You can match it with a nice cream silk top one night and another nice top for the next formal night. Wear some sparky jewelry or a sparkly brooch and you will be fine. No one will notice that you are wearing the same skirt twice. A lot of ladies go the long gown and beads route, but a lot of people are dressed in more simple, but elegant outfits, even on formal nights. This way, if you do need to buy some things, you will be able to use them again. For the rest of the evenings, do you have any sun dresses? Pair them with a jacket or shawl for informal nights. For casual nights, long pants (again, not jeans) and a nice top (or even a nice t-shirt).

You are out of luck on the kids. I don't have any kids. I do beleive little boys can rent tuxes as well (they look soooo cute). Good luck.

By the way for versatile travel clothes, try www.travelsmith.com, www.chicos.com or www.landsend.com.

Linda

How about Ross for Less, T.J. Max? Do you have these stores there? It isn't a very good time right now for formal dresses unless you are going to the prom. But you could look and see what you find?

I think you may have more fun dressing up than you think! icon_smile.gif

We went to a travel show a while back. The rep for Celebrity was speaking. She said " now ladies, you might think you need a new wardrobe for cruising? And you would be right" Everyone laughed.

Have a great time, whatever you end up wearing. You are going on a cruise!!!!!! icon_cool.gif

For your daughters - you can get them each a cute flowered skirt and 2 tops in different colors for the formal nights. If they have long hair throw it up in a topknot and they'll look "formal" icon_wink.gif 1 inexpensive sundress can be worn both informal nights (they are spread out) and capris for the girls will be fine the casual nights. For the ladies - 1 pr blk capris with different tops for casual, 1 pr blk dress pants, strappy sandals and tops or else a sundress for the informal. Formal wear I use a long black skirt with silky or crepe shells I got on sale. Another cruise I took a basic black dress and rhinestone jewelry - wore it plain one night and then bought one of the $10 "pashmina" shawls they sell onboard in gold for a whole new look with my fake pearls.

You can probably dress all 3 of you for about $100 - and I'm sure you all can wear the items again at home for other functions. Have a great cruise and don't stress too much!

Speigel online is having a Memorial Day sale 25% off the clearance if you buy $50. They always have georgette pants and skirts and beaded camisoles marked down. If you order now you would get it by cruise time and not even have to go to the mall!

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Many people have also found great inexpensive formal wear on e-bay. I personally haven't used it yet...still learning, but I have heard good things about it.

Don't worry about the clothes, as some have said, you can find some great things without spending a lot, and also mix and match. Have a great cruise!

Shari

Carnivale--4/79

Cunard Princess--4/84

Norway--1/86

Holiday--4/87

Zenith--Inaugural-4/92

Constitution--2/93

Infinity--1/19/03

Of course, if you accidently "forgot" your formal clothes, you'd have to miss dinner with MIL and eat in the alternate restaurant!!!

Okay, I guess that wouldn't work!

Have a great cruise!

Denise

Denise

Celebrity Zenith March, 2005

Carnival Glory March, 2004

Carnival Pride September, 2003

Carnival Legend Februrary, 2003

Carnival Pride, March 2002

Paradise Back-To-Back May, 2001

Carnival Destiny, March 2000

We are a casual family, that doesn't put much emphasis on clothes. I had the same concern as you...will I have to buy a new wardrobe and the $$ that would involve. Guess where I've found most of my clothes-in a large used clothing store. Most of the things I've bought are almost new. my "formal night wear" for one night cost a whole $12.00 and that included a lovely black shawl bought new at Walmart! I've found a lovely floral skirt and I'm watching for a nice top to compliment it. We're going to break down and buy a new black suit for hubby (he NEEDS it)-but our trusty used store will liekly provide his sports jacket. Don't worry, it will all work out just fine.

The dress code on Celebrity is the same for children as it is for adults. On formal nights, the boys and teens normally wear dark suits with white shirt and tie and dress shoes or tuxes. You can rent the tuxes. The girls and teen girls wear party dresses and cocktail or prom dresses with dressy shoes and special hair arrangements. On informal (semi-formal) nights the boys and teens wear good quality khakhi or dress pants with shirt and tie and jacket and girls were a nice sun dress and dress shoes. On casual nights the boys and teens wear khaki pants with polo shirts or nice casual collared shirts. Girls wear dresses or capris or skirts.

Its really fun for the whole family to dress up. We went on a family reunion cruise last year. My sister, who had't cruised in years and has a casual dressing family, was very surprised how much her 14 year son enjoyed getting dressed up.

However, I agree that you don't have to spend a fortune. Being a frugal person, I have purchased these items for my children at discount stores.

here's what I do---i have lots of formal stuff, but hate to pack/wear it:

1 tea-length/longish black skirt (black silky pants will also do)

several sleeveless black tops

2 pairs black capris

black dressy blazer/or black dressy sweater

1 sequined top

1 silky top----then I mix and match all of these and have for years. men will do fine with a suit, even for formal nights---no need to rent a tux. kids (well, personally, I would get them a few things off of ebay---1-2 dressy outfits each (that's what I did---silk organza dresses for $8!!). actually, you can ebay for yourself, too, esp. dressy items.

Hey dr-dom!

We haven't heard from you since the original post. What have you decided to do? Have you been out franticly shopping or have you been on ebay? Or did our suggestions put you at ease and you've just kicked back by the pool? Let us know? Inquiring minds and all that (okay, okay, so I'm nosey!).

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived