screw up after making big announcement

SeaBands

I was interested in booking the Veendam for 3/20/16. So is it true this is the last cruise before drydock?

I thought I read once that a last cruise before a drydock they sometimes start shutting down services like pool etc. before the cruise is over. If that is the case I would never book it. Anyone have info on this happening?

It says leaving from Tampa. It hasn't been changed to Ft. Lauderdale has it?

We would be new to Holland America, New to leaving from Tampa and a few new ports that why I'm choosing this one.

Thanks for any info on helping decide if its safe to book this, that there aren't any unexpected changes I don't know about:)

AFAIK - the 3/20/16 cruise should still be leaving from Tampa.

As far as being the last cruise before a dry dock, I was on one a couple of years ago and if I hadn't know about the dry dock it would not have been apparent. However, depending on what might need to be accomplished some things might start happening early as some have reported.

Everything is subject to change based on operational needs.

This cruise is 5 months away and not at all near final payment. While it is disappointing to have a planned cruise changed or cancelled, it should not be a major problem this far ahead. We never book hotel or air that is not fully refundable until around the final payment date. It doesn't make sense to me to do it earlier. We could always want to or need to change plans ourselves.

And we almost always book air when the flights come out. The prices typically go up or if using FFmiles miles they may no longer be available.

HAL has a responsibility to pay for any airline change fees.

And we almost always book air when the flights come out. The prices typically go up or if using FFmiles miles they may no longer be available.

HAL has a responsibility to pay for any airline change fees.

No tyhey aren't, you are. You chose to book flights way ahead; you chose to not pay the fare for cancelable tix; you chose not to get insurance to cover the costs.

It was your choice, take some responsibility for it.

you want to get all your ducks in a row so you are not disappointed by waiting and not able to use miles for flights since most airlines limit the number of mileage seats. When the cruise company chooses to change departure point at their convenience you should not have to loose money because of their needs.

They should do whatever is necessary to satisfy their frequent cruisers. In my case it's about $150 by adding a flight from Tampa to FLL. If I changed my return fllight from Montreal to FLL it would have cost us $200 and another 50,000 miles so I am saving HAL some money and we were able to use points to cover our hotel in FLL

We could have just cancelled the cruise and eaten the loss but it would have turned us off to cruising with HAL in the future and they would have lost a 4* Mariner with 2 other cruises booked for 2016. I will send them the ticket info once we return from the cruise and expect them to reimburse me.

Edited by SeaBands

I have been in contact with HAL and they will only refund or compensate if things have already been booked. I was planning on driving from Canada...now I can't (not enough holidays) so I have to purchase a plane ticket and also take three days off of work (at my own expense). They don't care about these extra expenses. First time cruising and probably my last. :( Did not realize that the cruise lines could do this....Advanced the date and changed the port...

Don't let it put you off cruising.

This is a rare thing.

I'm coming up on 10 cruises and it's never happened to me.