Drivers in the Mediterranean

We were on Brilliance of the Seas September 9-22. We booked private drivers; we were 100% pleased with the services. There were 6 of us traveling together. We all had wonderful experiences.

For Nice, France, we booked sylvie.di.cristo@wanadoo.fr. Sylvie brought us to Cannes, Nice, and St. Paul de Vence. She took us to a lovely seaside restaurant for lunch.

For Livorno, Italy, we booked info@tuscanytours.net (Tuscany tours, Marco Miniati. Our driver was Fabrizio. He took us to Pisa and Florence. We saw the leaning tower of Pisa, the Major Duomo, Trevi Fountain, and more.

For Naples, we booked marcellomaresca@tin.it. Marcello's driver took us to Pompeii and then on a breathtaking drive of the Amalfi coast. We had lunch at a special family owned restaurant with great, authentic food.

For Rome, we booked driverinrome.com (Executive Limousine Tours in Italy). Daniele had lots of energy! We saw many places in Rome.

Every driver spoke English and all "aimed to please." It truly was a wonderful way to explore countries that we have never been to. They were all at the ports when we got off the ship.

Hiring private drivers was less expensive than Royal Caribbean tours and much more personal.

The drivers made this vacation a "once in a lifetime" experience!

Wendy & Kesh

Wendy

We are going on the Brilliance in May 2006. We are using driverinrome for both Florence and Rome. In Rome did you go to the Sistine Chapel? Did you have a long wait? Also Collisiem - did you go inside? How about wait time?

On another subject - I know you used Air France. I just booked flights with them and I am also flying out of Logan. How was your flight? How were the seats? Did Air France change your flights times booking this far out?

I am concerned about connection time - we have 1 hour 25 minutes at CDG. We have to go from 2C to 2F - how do you do this? Can you walk or is it by bus? Do you have to go thru Passport Control?

Also we have a 10:30am flight leaving Barcelona on the day cruise ends. Do you think this will be a problem? I read on these boards that the lines were awful. Did you run into this?

I know I have gotten off subject but thank you in advance for all my questions.

Hi Pat,

Our driver checked out the line for the Sistene Chapel. It was very long in the morning, so we adjusted our itinerary accordingly. We went to the Chapel in the afternoon when the lines where less than 15 minutes. There was no wait to get inside the Colosseum.

We did not use Air France. We took Lufthansa. Our friends used Air France and missed their connecting flight due to not enough time. We stayed in Barcelona for a night when the cruise was over. They do try to get you off the boat quickly and give priority to those with early flights.

Any more questions, let me know.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy for answering so promptly. Sorry about the mixup on Air France - I thought I had read you were using them. Why did your friends miss their flight? Was it because of connection time or was their flight late? We are staying 2 days prior so I suppose I should not stress about this.

Can you tell me what nights the formal nights were?

Pat, we used Air France on our recent cruise and had the same terminals involved, but only a 45 minute connection. Don't think we had to do any passport control stuff. Since AF sat on the ground in DC for an hour, needless to say we missed our connection. Had to wait a couple of hours and take the next flight into Venice. The transportation between the two terminals was by bus. We had to walk downstairs and then wait for the bus. The ride took about 10 minutes or so. I think it might be too far to walk if the bus ride was any indication. There was not a crowd waiting, all people waiting got on the next bus that arrived.

Seats on AF on the flights we were on were a 31" pitch, which is the standard for US carriers. Nothing too impressive on either of the two AF legs on the way over, except they did feed us actual food. As the person at the gate said when I asked about dinner, she said of course they serve dinner because "this is Air France, after all".

Our friends missed the connecting flight because the originating flight was delayed. You have nothing to worry about if you are arriving a few days ahead of time.

Formal nights were on sea days. We chose to dress up but not in formal clothes, like gowns and tuxedo. Basically anything goes except shorts. It is a real personal choice. Everyone always looked nice, whether it was formal or casual night.

The chefs were kind enough to cook Kesh Indian food every night. He picked his own meals every day!

Wendy

VIRGENIA - Thanks for your information. I do not know why I am stressing over this flight as we are going 2 days early and we will get there eventally. I think we will be okay with 1 hour 25 minutes connection time as long as flight from Boston is not delayed

WENDY - I no longer dress up either and especially on this cruise - its hard enough trying to pack for everyday let alone formal wear. I just wear black pants and dressy tops.

I just had someone say that they took Air France & connected in CDG - they had to take a shuttle bus from the plane to get to the main terminal and then take another shuttle bus to get to their terminal. They then had to go thru Passport Control. Did you have to do this - take 2 shuttles?

We recently flew Air France from Logan to CDG. We had 1hr. 40 minutes between our connecting flight to barcelona, and we barely made it. We had to take a bus from the plane to the terminal, and then another bus between the terminals. After this, we were in a room with tons of people, and we had to go thru and they checked our passports. This took at least 1/2 hr. After that you get to the gate, and take another bus out to the plane. Your connection will be very tight-change it if you can.

Pat848,

Just checked my passport, and it WAS stamped at CDG, so I guess that passport control just blended into all the rest in my mind. I still think we only took one shuttle bus, but then. . . . .I am in that CRS part of my life!

Virgenia

Thanks. I am hoping for only 1 shuttle/bus ride also. I have decided to not stress out over this anymore. I checked flights to Barcelona after ours and there are 5 more. The one after ours is 10:00am and next at 12:55 so I am sure we will get on one of those. Fortunetly we are going 2 days early otherwise I would be panicking. I was going to try to change our flight to the 10:00am one but decided I would leave it alone and try making the flight. I have people saying we can make it and others saying no-way will we make it so who knows.

Thanks for coming on and answering my questions.

I used driverinrome for both Florence and Rome. For Florence we had Daniele and for Rome, Aldo. We had a guide arranged for Vatican Museum for 2:00 p.m. and at that time there was a long line up however, the guide got us in ahead of the line.

We weren't able to get into the Colisseum but that was because of some police ceremony being held around there and Aldo couldn't get to where he normally gets the tickets from. Everything else we were able to see and do.

As for flights from Barcelona. We had booked a taxi with others for 8:30 a.m. and although we didn't have the first colour baggage stickers for disembarkation, on the friday we were able to get them from the Pursor's desk. We therefore were off the ship shortly afte 7:30 a.m. A private driver waiting for customers actually called our taxi driver for us and he arrived early and we were at the airport shortly after 8:00 a.m. We were able to change our tickets and got a 10:30 flight however, our flight was to London and their check in didn't open until 8:30. It might be different with transatlantic flights.

Frances

• 2 weeks later...

We also used DIR & saw so much I still can't belive it - in Rome we did Sistine Chapel & St Peters, Colleseum & Forum, Catacombs, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps - no lines we saw equally as much in Florence - even David - we had them arrange tickets for us in advance and once again no lines! In my mind it is the ONLY way to go - who has time to wait in lines? DIR adjusts the tour accordingly.

Archived