How tough is Dunns River Falls

NewHere

If you go with the ship excursion you will hold hands while you go up the tougher parts so it helps people not fall. It's not really that strenuous though. I did fall when we reached the very top on the way out just because the rocks are uneven and I'm clumsy. The guides are great about helping people up the falls and if you're uncomfortable I think there are several exits to the stairs and you can just go up on the stairs. The stairs are right next to the falls but not in the water.

The problem comes after going up the falls which was fun. After you leave the falls, retrieve your items in the locker and head for the exit, you are forced to go through the very aggressive vendors area. I should not have been kind or socialable. They force things on you as a gift and then want payment. Don't stop, don't talk to them, don't be worried about their feeling or their comments. If you want to buy something, stop. If not just keep walking and keep saying no....I was too nice and got clipped for $20 on garbage as did many of our group...

I'm a physical therapist and if she is concerned I would do something else. The chance of falling at least once is pretty high. The rocks are pretty slippery even though the guides go through and scrub down the stones you are told to step on. Also the height of the rocks you need to step up and down can be very tall even if holding hands and sometimes they are blind steps due to running water. Don't get me wrong, many people with some level of decreased mobility have made it up but I would bet you will go down once or twice.

As per the pushy vendors I can tell those of you arriving by boat and climbing when you walk back down the falls there are two options in the path. Stay hard left along the falls and bypass the whole market. No problems.

You are also stepping blindly at many points. That is: the water is 1 or 2 feet deep but with the constant motion of the water you can't see the bottom. You know the bottom is there because the person in front of you didn't fall to their doom. However, it's rocky and unseen so you don't know exactly when or how hard you will contact. If I had a weak knee or the phenomenon of 'missing a step' would be a problem, I'd probably skip it.

Check the photos on line. Note that there are two sections of the falls: the bottom is much easier and probably most of what you see. The top is closer to easy rock climbing, but with the water component.

You are also stepping blindly at many points. That is: the water is 1 or 2 feet deep but with the constant motion of the water you can't see the bottom. You know the bottom is there because the person in front of you didn't fall to their doom. However, it's rocky and unseen so you don't know exactly when or how hard you will contact. If I had a weak knee or the phenomenon of 'missing a step' would be a problem, I'd probably skip it.

Check the photos on line. Note that there are two sections of the falls: the bottom is much easier and probably most of what you see. The top is closer to easy rock climbing, but with the water component.

So if you don't want to climb to the top is that an option? Can you just relax and enjoy looking at the falls and staying near the bottom or do they make you climb to the top? I would be content to just stay in the water near the bottom like posted in some of the pics.

So if you don't want to climb to the top is that an option? Can you just relax and enjoy looking at the falls and staying near the bottom or do they make you climb to the top? I would be content to just stay in the water near the bottom like posted in some of the pics.

I think you exit at the top. I know you don't climb back down the falls so if you go with a group who does climb then you might have to climb the stairs next to the falls to catch up to them. I haven't been in about 8 years so my memory isn't very clear.

I think you exit at the top. I know you don't climb back down the falls so if you go with a group who does climb then you might have to climb the stairs next to the falls to catch up to them. I haven't been in about 8 years so my memory isn't very clear.

Thanks for the response, just not sure we want to travel over 2 hours on a bus to get to the falls. We were originally porting in Falmouth, and now has changed to Montego Bay. Just sounds like a long ride for a short excursion activity time. Think we might end up doing one of the AI resorts for the day.

There is an exit just before the start of the steep portion. There is shallow pool near there, and steps up to a platform which connects to the path up/down.

I don't recall if there was some sort of access control to the falls climb (& beach.) I suspect that if you paid for the falls climb, they wouldn't care if you went down to the bottom, hung out for a bit, then walked pack up the dry path. I'm sure they have people get to the bottom and decide not to walk up every day. ;) But... I'd email them to be sure if that is your plan.

13cheermom From Montego bay I would skip it, too much time in a bus. All inclusive adults only do Secrets, with kids the Sea Breeze beach club right next to secrets is good too and a little cheaper. Video attached of Dunns River Climb and Secrets. If you dont climb the falls you can do the stairs and hop in where it looks safe for you but your also going to be getting more of a hard sell from vendors that way.

13cheermom From Montego bay I would skip it, too much time in a bus. All inclusive adults only do Secrets, with kids the Sea Breeze beach club right next to secrets is good too and a little cheaper. Video attached of Dunns River Climb and Secrets. If you dont climb the falls you can do the stairs and hop in where it looks safe for you but your also going to be getting more of a hard sell from vendors that way.

Thanks for all of the information, I think we will wait to try Dunns River Falls on another cruise when porting at Ocho Rios. We have been looking at all the AI choices, the price just seems rather high and we already have AI booked in Cozumel. Wanted to try something different that's unique to Jamaica but this port change has really limited our possibilities. :(

Gotta make lemonade I guess. But honestly the beaches on the North coast by Falmouth and Ochos Rios really aren't that nice IMHO. They are more likely to be turned up with current or have seaweed after storms. The water is much clearer and cleaner starting around Mobay and going towards Negril. That side of the island faces west and doesn't get any seaweed. I hear Doctors Cave beach is nice but don't bother shopping downtown it's sketchy. A catamaran sail out of montego bay would be nice too if you want to see more of the island. They usually stop at Jimmy Buffets fir water toys, slides and drinks.

I climbed the falls when I was 40 yrs old & 260 lbs. Ive had a repaired ACL & was apprehensive. (I am a complete chicken when walking on snow, ice, etc. as its not what it used to be.) Everyone holds hands & helps each other. I did the climb with crocs on & just made sure I had good footing with each step. There is lots of moss that grows on the rocks & the guys go out every morning to scrub it out so you have good "steps." There were some parts where I was nervous, but more out of a fear of endurance, but not because of my knee. Luckily there are some parts where there are landings & it gives you a chance to take a breather & enjoy the waters.

I think inside, everyone is a little nervous going into it. When you realize that everyone is there to help the next its a like a nice comraderie & you'll feel really good about yourself afterwards!

The team there is quite comical & helpful. Our guide Milton took EVERYONES cameras for the entire way up & they never got wet. He climbed barefoot! He was hysterical & I'll never forget he said.... "Ladies there will be someone taking footage for a souvenir video. So if while you're climbing one of your bubbles comes out, it's going to be in the video!" HAHAHAH! They were great & helped anytime I got stuck. There were folks there much older than I was and heavier than I was, we all made it out fine!

I am sure there is a you tube video out there so you can see more about the climb & people who are getting through it.

Ocho Rios is a much easier trek, but it's up to you. If and when you decide to go, just take your time & one foot in front of the other.

Happy Sailing!

Edited by Pack My Bags