Showers on Sun Princess or sister ships

C&S

We would appreciate any information or observations about the showers (especially in an inside cabin) on the Sun Princess. My brother is a big guy - he's 6'7" and rather large. He was fine in a handicap bathrooms on another ship, but there is not one available for the week we want to go. We understand the bathroom is only 6'6" but wonder about the size of the shower and whether is has a curtain or door. Thanks!!

Fascination 4/03
Nordic Empress 11/02
Sensation 6/00
Disney Magic 12/99
Dolphin Seabreeze 9/89
(it sank 12/00)

I was on the Dawn last week and I thought the shower was small but sufficient. I am 5'10" and about a size 14 (ladies) and was ok. I think the shower would be tall enough for a pretty tall guy like your brother, and it has a curtain not a door. I think he will be fine unless he is 400 lbs (is he? then it could be a problem). There were plenty of larger people on the ship and I didn't hear any complaints. Just trying to be helpful and honest.

I sailed on the Sun Princess this past January and specifically picked cabin B-316. If you look at a diagram of the layout you will see that this cabin has a hallway next to it. I would guess that all similarly positioned inside cabins would have the same configuration. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the shower. It was somewhere between 30% and 40% bigger than those found in other inside cabins (I know because I have also sailed on the Dawn Princess and the Sea Princess).

I am a big guy, 6' 1", and an easy 275 lbs. Your brother is going to find it quite tight in a standard, inside cabin shower (you know - soap the walls and turn around). He would do much better in one of the larger showers.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/img]

Hello there, this is C&S's brother. Thank you both for the information. gopher's girl, yes, I am pushing close to that 400 lbs mark. Looking at the room layouts, it seems like the shower is longer and narrow? Is this right or just the way they have it drawn? Blackrobe, were you referring to the main hallway cabins as opposed to the narrow ones that run between two of the type you mentioned? Sorry, I'm being a pain, but the RCI was wonderful and the accessible shower spoiled me.

BigAl_7

Nordic Empress 11/2002

BigAl_7 - you are definitely not being a pain! If you are going on vacation you deserve to be as comfortable as you can! Have you called the cruise line to see if they can accomodate you? I have heard that some people book handicapped accessible rooms simply because they are larger - perhaps they can bump someone like that?

We were on the sun princess and the shower is most efficent. I comparing it to the Coral which is very small. By the way there is a curtain. You will be happy wityh the shower.

Marilyn

This is just an idea....I haven't cruised Princess yet....but on Carnival the showers at the work out facilities were waaaay bigger than the shower in the cabin. Anybody know if those showers might be an option for Big Al??

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

Thanks dosi, we called Princess and they said that the showers by the gym and the pool were the same size as the standard rooms. Seems kinda funny, I would think they would at least have one or two handicap accessible in the public areas. gopher's girl, thanks again, actually, I'm one of those people *shrug* but it seems like I'm hearing from mii and others that the showers are a little larger than other lines and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and we're going to book it. Thanks again to everyone that's replied so far.

BigAl_7

Nordic Empress 11/2002

Big Al 7, you are definitely [B]NOT[/B] being a pain. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Looking at the room layouts, it seems like the shower is longer and narrow? Is this right or just the way they have it drawn? Blackrobe, were you referring to the main hallway cabins as opposed to the narrow ones that run between two of the type you mentioned? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to the main hallway cabins but not necessary all of the main hallway cabins. B316 has its hallway door opening at the intersection of one of the main forward to aft hallways and a cross hallway. For whatever reason this cabin has a shower that is larger because it has an area enclosed that would otherwise be dead space. It is difficult to put into words. If you consider the shower unit to be rectangular, the shower unit in this cabin has a small triangular area added to the rectangle just to fill up an otherwise dead area. The result is significant added space while in the shower. I cannot tell you how many or which rooms have this peculiar shaped shower unit but I would expect all rooms similarly situated to B-316 would have the same shower.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/img]

Thank you again for the info Blackrobe. I think we've got a configuration like the one you had. We're going to be in D736 with the rest of the family in D742 and D744. Thank you again for the info!

BigAl_7

Nordic Empress 11/2002

Yes Big Al it looks like the same type of cabin. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Archived