How Much Are Dress Codes/Suggested Attire Adhered To On QM2 Crossings?

rienreiter

Hi:

I'm curious as to much suggested attire is adhered to during the QM2 transatlantic sailings. How do men mostly dress during the informal evenings? Do they actually wear jackets and ties as suggested? Or do they tend to be more casual than informal?

Thanks to all.

I certainly hope that Cunard, Celebrity, Seabourn, and a few other cruiselines hold the line on the dress codes.

We own a logisitics company (read glorified trucking company). Our normal attire is Levi's and t-shirts. We have few opportunites to live the fantasy of "high society". We live outside of a major metro area, so not a lot of opportunites for the opera, ballet, Christmas dress-up events, etc.

My DH has absolutely REFUSED to cruise unless it is on a line which will adhere to the stated dress codes. He figures if he has to drag the tux and sportcoats to a cruise, so can everyone else. I balk at spending more than $300.00 per day per person to cruise the luxury lines. I can stay at the best 5* hotels in the world for that amount of money.

Please don't dumb down the experience.

On our crossings the dress code was enforced. But - it only applied in the dining rooms (not Kings Court) so outside them it was anything goes. This was a surprise to us, but then she is a modern ship and grunge is modern dress.

David.

Hi:

I'm curious as to much suggested attire is adhered to during the QM2 transatlantic sailings. How do men mostly dress during the informal evenings? Do they actually wear jackets and ties as suggested? Or do they tend to be more casual than informal?

Thanks to all.

As David wrote, in Dining rooms 95%+ adhere, about the ship its still 85%-90%, minimum. Its all part of the 'show'.

Peter

Cunard crossings tend to be even more formal than a regular

cruise. Most passengers fully adhere to the evenings dress code

and many dress to the nines, even on informal nite. If you choose

to 'dress down' you will be by far in the minority.

I'm sure your fellow Cunarders would appreciate your adherence -

after all, I do not think you would want to eat every meal in

the Kings Court "cafeteria".

Dress up and enjoy!

I think that depends on which cruise. Med or Carabean maybe so but the World Cruise on QE2 04 was much classier. Our crossings, particularly the east bound had many less than 85% in formal. Of course that may have been because of vacations in July attracting younger passengers with famillies, and winter crossings could be very different. And I suspect that once dinner was finished many changed for the rest of the evening.

We spoke to one American passenger who took breakfast and lunch in the Britannia resteraunt and ate in the Kings Court in the evening because he "didn't do that tux thing"

Times are changing.

David.

You allready have.

David.

Not I. I do not if I can help it travel without my blazer, fine shirts and ties be any mode of transportation, train or automobile (I do not fly so have no problem with the sweatclothes set there).

Embarkation attire consists of linen slacks, tassled loafers, shirt, club tie or open collar and blazer. In the winter, definetly a tie with the blazer and a dress long overcoat, scarf and felt hat. I even like to bring a nice walking cane along. Keeps everyone alert and is still even in NYC a legal devise against undesireables.

I made Crossings on QM2, August and September of this year, I'd say about 60-75% passengers wore tuxes but good quality dark suits never looked out of place. About 5% of the passengers in the Britannia looked disheveled or inappropriate.

On my Aug 27 Westbound, I truly never noticed people not in proper attire as it was scheduled to be in the dining rooms. Though there were numerous times when I exited the dining room toward the elevators to find very casually dressed couples (they may have chosen to eat later, or had a later seating or not eat in the dining rooms at all). And on occasion, I noticed as well, while passing other passengers in the Grand Lobby or hallways before or after dinner.

In addition, there was a night or two in Queens Rooms when a young crowd of Hispanics entered late and they were most notably casually dressed (jeans and halter tops). I thought and I like the rule of 'you dress for dinner as it is called for until you retire for the evening.' But I think on QM2 the dress code as scheduled is only enforced in the dining rooms. I take this to mean exclusively so as not to include the Royal Court Theatre or King’s Court or Todd English etc…. Though I would expect G32 to be less casual and almost expect people to change to more comfortable clothes for late night dancing there.

I wonder if others could comment on Westbound versus Eastbound crossings. I would think that westbound passenger would adhere more to codes, since it would be a mostly UK based passenger list (as I found on my westbound), and rather the eastbound would be more American based and might naturally not feel the need to adhere to code.

I hope this adds to the discussion.

P.S. I will say my tuxedo with long windsor knot tie (not bow tie) never got a double glance.

Re dress codes -I notice that coloured bow ties are often worn nowadays- what's the etiquette ruling on that please - also with cummerbunds- is it ok not to wear one?

Thanks

Heywood

A coloured bow tie is simply a fashion statement, there is no need to

wear a common black bow tie; a little colour variation is up to you.

I am seeing more and more vests in place of the 'ye olde' cumberbund.

I prefer vests myself as they tend not to slide around the ever growing

waist ( sigh ) and they have no need for constant adjusting when

cumerbunds decide to slide up, down, and turn 'round.

Just back from the 9/20 crossing......1st time on QM2, 1st time transatlantic, 1st time Cunard! Beautiful ship, great crossing, great line.......Tuxedos and gowns were very much the norm on formal nights, casual nights went from nice slacks, sport jackets & ties to khakis & golf shirts for the men. On our last casual night I wore silk slacks & blouse and felt fine, however what I wore that night would have been someone elses idea of formal on those nights. I was shocked by the broad spectrum of everyones concept of "formal" to "casual", it made no sense to me! I swear some people put their hands in the closet blindfolded and put on whatever they pull out, who cares if they are different patterns or colors!!! And for day attire, I called Cunard 3 times to try to get a daytime dress code. I was told no denim, well there was plenty of denim worn by all ages, not just the young ones ( not that there were that many of them). And day wear was much more casual than I expected or maybe should I say "upscale casual". Some people were dressed to the "nines" at all times and for others it was "anything goes". I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable and used to wearing. I was also told, no jogging suits, only at the gym or walking on deck, well ladies, nicer ones (velour, etc) would be fine and very comfy for daywear, with cute flats you could even get by with going to tea!

[I wonder if others could comment on Westbound versus Eastbound crossings. I would think that westbound passenger would adhere more to codes, since it would be a mostly UK based passenger list (as I found on my westbound), and rather the eastbound would be more American based and might naturally not feel the need to adhere to code.

We did find that dress worn Eastbound was much more casual (sloppy) than Westbound. I don't know what the policy is now on QE2, but when we last sailed aboard her the dress code applied to the whole ship. Same with Caronia. Cunard has obviously made a decision to loosen the code on QM2.

David.

On our June 9 eastbound mostly everybody was very dressed in the evenings with tuxes for men, and gowns or dressy two-piece items for the women. There will probably always be exceptions to the norm, but the norm on our crossing was very dressy. Daywear was much different, with dress all over the place. I would guess about 10 to 20% wore jeans, but everyone else were in casual khakis and button down shirts and such. I noticed the teen group tended to be the most casual.

Paul

:)

My partner and I will be sailing westbound next (july) and had no idea just how formal the dress code would be, after a little thoght and readig the posts on here we are now looking forward to the crossing and indeed to buying a "tux" and dressing for dinner.

We hope to wear a black tux with black bow tie (ready tied) please dont make me tie one, and dress shirt.

Now do we need to a cumberbund or vest or is a dress shirt enough, and plain black leather shoes, also after dinner is the tux still worn or do people change, it seems to me a nice thing to wear all evening.

Day time I think trousers "pants" and a top or shirt is that ok, it seems that white or khaki shorts are out, correct me if not please as I do like nice cut shorts white trainers and a top during the day if possible.

i do think now after read these posts that if you want to do a QM2 crossing then you do to wear the right attire for the ship, but more advice please on this.

also has anyone booked for the july 18th crossing we are so far on deck 4 inside stateroom (1st time) so we hope this is alright although an upgrade would nice.

rob

:)

We hope to wear a black tux with black bow tie (ready tied) please dont make me tie one, and dress shirt.

Now do we need to a cumberbund or vest or is a dress shirt enough, and plain black leather shoes, also after dinner is the tux still worn or do people change, it seems to me a nice thing to wear all evening.

Day time I think trousers "pants" and a top or shirt is that ok, it seems that white or khaki shorts are out, correct me if not please as I do like nice cut shorts white trainers and a top during the day if possible.

Rob - One of the American terms that has not found favour this side of the pond is "vest" but think this would be "waistcoat" here. You certainly do not need it. For me a nice dress shirt with a fancy tie (doesn't everyone use the clipons) looks the part.

Plain black shoes are fine.

I am sure some do change after dinner, but why bother when you look so good.

Shorts are fine in the day. Wear what is most comfortable for you, you will see all sorts and will never look out of place.

David.

Thanks David for the answer, which was what I hoped for, yes "vest" is waistcode and I am from the uk, It justseem a lot more posts from the usa so it felt better to say vest.

I am going to buy rather than hire the "tux" wear the shoes as you, and not change after dinner, I am now looking forward to "dressing" but pleased I can wear nice shorts and tops for the day time.

As someone who is now casual it will be a change to dress for dinner and I hope I find other occassions to wear it here in the uk.

One thing do people wear casual only for the "casual nights" or can you still dress up, I dont to feel out of place, but i want either casual or dress and not have to take a dark suit or blazer.

rob

QM2 july 06

Rob - You will get a daily programme in the evening for the next day. It will show the dress code for the evening, with recomendations as to what is ok.

Casual is collard shirt with slacks. Some more formal minded passengers do wear ties and jackets but most will be as the recomended. I wear a short sleeved shirt, casual trousers (not jeans!!) and casual type shoes. Perfect.

We did a double crossing July this year. Hot days, calm seas and the quietest ship we have sailed on.

Have a great crossing.

David.

I certainly hope that Cunard, Celebrity, Seabourn, and a few other cruiselines hold the line on the dress codes.

We own a logisitics company (read glorified trucking company). Our normal attire is Levi's and t-shirts. We have few opportunites to live the fantasy of "high society". We live outside of a major metro area, so not a lot of opportunites for the opera, ballet, Christmas dress-up events, etc.

Please don't dumb down the experience.

I guess there are different reasons, all legitimate for how one chooses to dress. My spouse wore suits and ties for 44 years in business, and has difficulty wearing ties and stiff collars now due to a surgery.

We have just booked the QM2 for the World cruise, Jan. 2007, but reading all the responses, I wonder if it is a mistake. I KNOW that DH is not going to be able to enjoy himself if he has to sit painfully through dinner every night with a tie.

Also, our cruise line of choice had been HAL. I cannot ever recall people so concerned with what others were wearing. After dinner, most men changed into more comfortable clothes. I would venture a guess that 85% of men had no ties on for the after dinner show.

I guess there are different reasons, all legitimate for how one chooses to dress. My spouse wore suits and ties for 44 years in business, and has difficulty wearing ties and stiff collars now due to a surgery.

We have just booked the QM2 for the World cruise, Jan. 2007, but reading all the responses, I wonder if it is a mistake. I KNOW that DH is not going to be able to enjoy himself if he has to sit painfully through dinner every night with a tie.

Also, our cruise line of choice had been HAL. I cannot ever recall people so concerned with what others were wearing. After dinner, most men changed into more comfortable clothes. I would venture a guess that 85% of men had no ties on for the after dinner show.

One solution to the tight collar problem: purchase shirts for him that are

up to 2 inches around the neck larger than what you would normally

have bought. This is what I have proven to be a huge sucess with

myself as I hate having to gasp for air while trying to relax and enjoy

Cunard evenings at sea. It's been 4 years since I have been on HAL

( Baltic cruise ) but I seem to recall some fairly dressy passengers

onboard - perhaps that has changed.

One reason I stick with Cunard is that it is more formal than others and

this is one of the rare times I can put on a tux and enjoy the good life

of a true liner.

Enjoy your world cruise - you both are very fortunate.

Archived