How Much Are Dress Codes/Suggested Attire Adhered To On QM2 Crossings?

rienreiter

I guess there are different reasons, all legitimate for how one chooses to dress. My spouse wore suits and ties for 44 years in business, and has difficulty wearing ties and stiff collars now due to a surgery.

We have just booked the QM2 for the World cruise, Jan. 2007, but reading all the responses, I wonder if it is a mistake. I KNOW that DH is not going to be able to enjoy himself if he has to sit painfully through dinner every night with a tie.

Also, our cruise line of choice had been HAL. I cannot ever recall people so concerned with what others were wearing. After dinner, most men changed into more comfortable clothes. I would venture a guess that 85% of men had no ties on for the after dinner show.

Not only is Cunard the most formal of the lines but the world cruise is the creme de la creme where so many folks dress formally almost every evening through out all 108 days. Good luck. Sounds like a lot of meals on the Lido.

Another solution for a person who is unable to wear a tie and stiff collar when chosing to place themselves in a formal situation is an ascot or cravat. A dark ascot, which is very simple to tie, is traditionally more formal than a bow tie and extremely comfortable. This was the solution adopted by my father after surgery for throat cancer.

Another solution for a person who is unable to wear a tie and stiff collar when chosing to place themselves in a formal situation is an ascot or cravat. A dark ascot, which is very simple to tie, is traditionally more formal than a bow tie and extremely comfortable. This was the solution adopted by my father after surgery for throat cancer.

Bravo, Mike !!!

Thank you for offering up a suggestion that is both an elegant option and respectful of this gentleman's needs. Should Blurivet's spouse choose to follow your suggestion, I am hopeful that he will both be comfortable and present a wonderful image, along with everyone else who endeavours to make nights at sea aboard QM2 (and QE2) elegant - something increasingly rare in our casual everywhere world.

Tom

Archived