Cost of dining on Escape - adults and children

slmorange

Hello,

Without using SDP or UDP, which specialty restaurants are a la carte vs. cover charge? How much is cover charge? Do fees (a la carte vs. cover) vary for children?

Thank you!

Children can order from the children's menu at any Specialty Restaurant. If they aren't ordering from the Children's menu, then the cover or a' la carte pricing will apply.

Cover Charge:

Teppanyaki

Moderno

A'La Carte:

Cagney's

Le Bistro

La Cucina

Food Republic

Bayamo

Pincho Tapas

You can find all of the menus here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2237689

Edited by kismet618

It's my understanding that ALL Specialty dining on the Escape will be A La Carte- not 100 percent sure if in effect yet - this includes Cagneys, Teppanyaki, etc.

Some of the escape threads go into detail on this one.

Thank you for the info.. Just a couple follow-up questions.

Is there a cost for kids to order off the children's menu (when ordering from a specialty restaurant)?

What are the cover charges for Teppanyaki and Moderno?

Teppanyaki is $29.95 and Moderno is $24.95...both cover charge restaurants and remaining cover charge restaurants on Escape

There is NO cost for the children's menu in any of the specialty restaurants.

Edited by kismet618

Thank you Kismet!!!!

My pleasure. Just sharing what I've been reading here on the boards from the awesome CCer's on board now. I hope to add more personal insights when we cruise the Escape in two and a half weeks. Can't wait [emoji4].

I'd be curious how that children's menu works at teppanyaki. Do they have a japanese childrens menu equivalent or are they really going to bring my kid chicken fingers from the back kitchen while the rest of us get our food cooked in front of us? I'm leaning towards the 3 meal package SDP so I can do Cagneys and Teppayanki but my kids may have a hard time experiencing teppayanki if that's their experience.

I'd be curious how that children's menu works at teppanyaki. Do they have a japanese childrens menu equivalent or are they really going to bring my kid chicken fingers from the back kitchen while the rest of us get our food cooked in front of us? I'm leaning towards the 3 meal package SDP so I can do Cagneys and Teppayanki but my kids may have a hard time experiencing teppayanki if that's their experience.

The children's menu is what is offered at the MDR. If thy want to eat from the Japanese menu they will be charged the same as you. There is no children's Japanese menu. So yes they can have the chicken fingers.

The children's menu is what is offered at the MDR. If thy want to eat from the Japanese menu they will be charged the same as you. There is no children's Japanese menu. So yes they can have the chicken fingers.

Shoot that sucks. I dont' want them to have watch us eat something entirely different than they get, but I also can't justify $30 a person for them. Guess SDP is out.

The NCL press release I found has Moderno at $19.95 actually, but you are correct, those two will not be going a-la-carte... which makes sense given the menu...

http://www.escape.ncl.com/the_Latest/norwegian-cruise-line-introduces-a-la-carte-specialty-dining

Teppanyaki is $29.95 and Moderno is $24.95...both cover charge restaurants and remaining cover charge restaurants on Escape

There is NO cost for the children's menu in any of the specialty restaurants.

If your looking at Teppanyaki and your kids are young and Don't eat much. You could always order off the free kids menu and ask the waiter if your child can have some of your serving after its on your plate. I wouldn't say anything when they are taking orders.

If your kids no matter the age need their own serving you will have to pay either with the SDP or the cover charge.

The A La Carte menu works great for kids who don't/can't eat a 4 course meal

Shoot that sucks. I dont' want them to have watch us eat something entirely different than they get, but I also can't justify $30 a person for them. Guess SDP is out.

You could always take the kids to buffet or some other place to eat and then put them in the kids play area while you and whomever you are with go and enjoy a nice dinner to yourself

If your looking at Teppanyaki and your kids are young and Don't eat much. You could always order off the free kids menu and ask the waiter if your child can have some of your serving after its on your plate. I wouldn't say anything when they are taking orders.

If your kids no matter the age need their own serving you will have to pay either with the SDP or the cover charge.

That's kinda cheating would be like sharing your drink you got with your beverage package with someone else

For Teppanyaki, our picky 10yr old son will join us for dinner and we will pay the $29.95 plus gratuity for him and use the SDP for us. I know that's a lot for a 10yr old but it's one of the few dinners he will have with us. And the fancy cooking is fun. Most nights, he will eat something from the buffet and we will have our more quiet/romantic couples dinner later. At Teppanyaki, the will use less seasoning if your child wants his chicken or whatever that way and they had plain white rice too. One of the desserts was fruit cut up to look like sushi/sashimi. Although, I hesitate to give in to his being picky. Next time, I'll make sure he arrives there hungry! Always less picky when hungry.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

The NCL press release I found has Moderno at $19.95 actually, but you are correct, those two will not be going a-la-carte... which makes sense given the menu...
That press release was from July. They evidently went back on their word in the meantime, because Moderno is $24.95 on Escape. Maybe the menu is better than before, there are some extra meat choices that I haven't seen on other ships (flank steak, leg of lamb, etc.).

My 11 year old loved teppenyaki.. Think he was 9 at the time. The chefs involve the kids and it is highly entertaining. You should take your child, they will like the food and have an awesome memory

Joe mcmanus

S.s norway

Epic

Getaway

Pride of America

Escape (soon)

That's kinda cheating would be like sharing your drink you got with your beverage package with someone else

In fairness NCL almost encourages this based on some of the trip reports coming out. I've seen multiple people with SDP dining with people who were al a carte and the waiters put all desserts and appetizers on the accounts of the people with the SDP so that the a la carte people only pay for their main dish. Not saying they have to continue that but if they are doing that I dont think sharing rice is a stretch.

Teppanyaki is a set amount of food. Kids eating off your plate is not "cheating" because they are not going to give you more food then the person next to you. So if you have a three year old, order the free kids meal for them and give them a couple bites off your plate. We did teppanyaki with our 10 year old. Paid the regular price for her and she loved the food, it was worth it to us. Plus the kids menu gets old.

How is this cheating? If I am going to get a set amount of food and I choose to share some with my child, that is my prerogative. It's not like I can go back to the bar and order another plate of food.

To the OP, order something you know they will like of the Children's menu, then let them have a taste of all of the different things you are getting. It will be a good experience for them and they will get to try what Mommy and Daddy are eating.

Teppanyaki is a set amount of food. Kids eating off your plate is not "cheating" because they are not going to give you more food then the person next to you.
In my experience, they usually cook too much at Teppanyaki and the people around the table are encouraged to take extra meat and finish it all. Not to mention the mountain of fried rice that is always left over (which I guess goes to the crew dining room? I don't know).

So if a child is eating off your plate, you will probably end up being served more food than if you weren't sharing. And as you said, there is a difference between a 3 year old and a 10 year old, and I don't know how old everyone's children are in this thread.

In my experience, they usually cook too much at Teppanyaki and the people around the table are encouraged to take extra meat and finish it all. Not to mention the mountain of fried rice that is always left over (which I guess goes to the crew dining room? I don't know).

So if a child is eating off your plate, you will probably end up being served more food than if you weren't sharing. And as you said, there is a difference between a 3 year old and a 10 year old, and I don't know how old everyone's children are in this thread.

Even if they are served more food, it is obviously already prepared and would have gone to waste anyway, so I fail to see the problem.

FWIW, none of the food from the specialty restaurants ends up at the crew mess. My DGS worked about an NCL ship and they had all of their own food prepared especially for them. They did not get left overs from the MDR, specialty restaurants or any other venue.

I do wonder about this. I would like to eat here and have a 2 year old. She eats next to nothing (:rolleyes:) and there is no way I would pay $20 for her, but I hate to think she couldn't have some rice and meat from our plates.