dining on NCL Getaway?

I haven't been on the boards regularly the last month or so as I've been planning the WDW portion of our trip. Now I'm back and see more changes. Lovely.

I already had a handful of questions about how to handle dining. This makes it a little more confusing.

Our party is myself, DH and our six kids in adjoining verandah rooms with UDP as our promo. My mom and my sister each have studios with $50 for specialty dining.

I'm not sure how to approach dining.

I had been thinking:

Sunday Illusionarium (although "free on first night" is now gone)

Monday Teppanyaki

Tuesday Moderno

Wednesday Cagney's

Thursday Le Bistro

Friday La Cucina

Saturday Cagney's again.

Is there an efficient link to show what it will cost my mother and sister to dine in each of these restaurants?

If there an efficient link to show which items have an upcharge in each restaurant?

If I (with my UDP) order prime rib in Cagney's and my sister (without UDP) orders prime rib, will we pay different amounts?

Would either/both of us then pay an additional gratuity on our purchase price?

This is getting so complicated...

I had been thinking we'd go to an MDR a night or two as my mom and sis don't have UDP, but my teens are all about steak. This is one of the main reasons we went for a cruise. Even a chain steakhouse puts me back $150 per dinner on land. It is a thrill to not have to worry about food costs on a cruise.

I'm not as excited as I had been originally about this cruise. Not only have so many of the things we were looking forward to changed (room service, fireworks) but dining seems like it is going to be far more complicated than it had been on Princess and DCL.

Thank you for your help!!!

If you are looking for all of your to dine together, I would suggest buying the Specialty Dining Package for the other 2 guests onboard and that way they can apply the credit towards it. If you are making your Specialty Restaurant Reservations with the UDP just make sure to make it for the appropriate amount of guests. You may have to make 3 reservations under MyNcl (one under you and one under your spouse for 8 people - since your kids eat free in the Specialty restaurants with UDP-you can try to book two more people under one of the kids or adjust the table size once on board)

http://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

3 Meal Package: $69.62

4 Meal Package: $87.32

5 Meal Package: $105.02

6 Meal Package: $122.72

7 Meal Package: $140.42

That is inclusive of taxes and fees.

The specialty dining package will save your mother and sister at least $20 each, if not more. Rather than go to Cagney's again, i would suggest you consider eating at O'Sheehan's one night - I think your kids would LOVE it! Or alternatively eating at the Noodle Bar (also free) which your kids would probably also love. Don't forget the other options of the Sushi bar and Ocean Blue - the new menu for Ocean Blue sounds great!

Thank you both.

@escentialssoycandles Our travel agent called NCL and was told that they could not use their $50 pp credit toward purchasing the SDP. So - I was thinking they could visit two restaurants with that (a $20 & a $30 one). Then they could buy either the 4-day or a 5-day SDP for the other nights. Eating together is a priority, although a night or two apart won't kill any of us. ;)

I was thinking we'd do O'Sheehans for lunch a few times. Is the menu different at lunch and dinner? (I agree @suitetraveler they'd love that kind of food.)

Thank you both.

@escentialssoycandles Our travel agent called NCL and was told that they could not use their $50 pp credit toward purchasing the SDP. So - I was thinking they could visit two restaurants with that (a $20 & a $30 one). Then they could buy either the 4-day or a 5-day SDP for the other nights. Eating together is a priority' date=' although a night or two apart won't kill any of us. ;)

I was thinking we'd do O'Sheehans for lunch a few times. Is the menu different at lunch and dinner? (I agree @suitetraveler they'd love that kind of food.)[/quote']

The specialties will all be A la Carte starting this month, so there will no longer be a cover fee per restaurant. Those with SDP and UDP are not affected. I will be posting pics of the new menus when I return from my 11/22 sailing which is the first Western 7 night sailing for Getaway.

O'Sheehans rotates Ribs, Chicken and Waffles and Prime Rib for dinner. Lunch Menu stays the same but those offerings are available anytime.

956195048_OSheehansLunch.jpg.d9472a506f5188adea96914bd904b2ae.jpg

Edited by escentialssoycandles

The specialties will all be A la Carte starting this month, so there will no longer be a cover fee per restaurant. Those with SDP and UDP are not affected. I will be posting pics of the new menus when I return from my 11/22 sailing which is the first Western 7 night sailing for Getaway.

O'Sheehans rotates Ribs, Chicken and Waffles and Prime Rib for dinner. Lunch Menu stays the same but those offerings are available anytime.

First of all - I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

I as so glad she is finally headed west for some trip reports on those ports.

Now they just need to get a move on for Harvest Caye!!!

When you say the specialties are going a la carte, do we have any idea yet what the charges will be? As in, will it now cost much more than what the cover charges HAD been to eat there? The $50 my mom has - do we know if that would get eaten up at just one restaurant?

Thank you for the menu shot. O'S is open 24 hours a day, right?

First of all - I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

I as so glad she is finally headed west for some trip reports on those ports.

Now they just need to get a move on for Harvest Caye!!!

When you say the specialties are going a la carte' date=' do we have any idea yet what the charges will be? As in, will it now cost much more than what the cover charges HAD been to eat there? The $50 my mom has - do we know if that would get eaten up at just one restaurant?

Thank you for the menu shot. O'S is open 24 hours a day, right?[/quote']

Yes O'Sheehans is 24 hours a day

Here are links to the menus on the specialties:

Cagneys: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48115418&postcount=16

LeBistro: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48115443&postcount=17

La Cucina: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48115522&postcount=21

Moderno (Remains Cover $20): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48115456&postcount=18

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/news/news.cfm?ID=6443

Thank you so much. LOL. I was just looking at Keith_Jenner's instagrams that I found during my search (after many false starts...)

Any ideas about Teppanyaki?

It looks like some restaurants it could easily go above the cover...

I think we will end up encouraging them to get the SDP for at least a 3/4 nights. I believe they want to try Tropicana anyway. Now to see if I have enough time for a really smart analysis on which places we would get them more bang for their buck using the $50 credit and which places they would be better off using the SDP they purchase.

So glad it isn't complicated or anything. ;)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

(just found that Teppanyaki will retain cover) THANK YOU!

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

Thank you so much. LOL. I was just looking at Keith_Jenner's instagrams that I found during my search (after many false starts...)

Any ideas about Teppanyaki?

It looks like some restaurants it could easily go above the cover...

I think we will end up encouraging them to get the SDP for at least a 3/4 nights. I believe they want to try Tropicana anyway. Now to see if I have enough time for a really smart analysis on which places we would get them more bang for their buck using the $50 credit and which places they would be better off using the SDP they purchase.

So glad it isn't complicated or anything. ;)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

(just found that Teppanyaki will retain cover) THANK YOU!

10 day rotation of the Menus in MDR

New NCL MDR Menus.pdf

I see you're planning Teppanyake and Moderno. Since these are fixed price I would use the dining credits here. That will use up the $50 dining credit. (will still have to pay the 18% service charge). If you then buy the 3/4 day SDP you won't be charged the a la carte pricing at the other specialty places. Can order whatever you want and not worry about cost. 18% service charge is paid when you buy the package. Leaves a night or two for complimentary dining if desired.

I thought the a-la-carte menus weren't coming until Jan 2016?

The line plans to roll out a la carte dining fleetwide on January 1, 2016, with the exception of entertainment dining like Cirque Dreams & Dinner or The Illusionarium. Ocean Blue on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway will switch to a la carte pricing in October, as well.

I can report back once I sail on 11/22 if they have changed over on the Getaway since I keep seeing conflicting reports.

Edited by escentialssoycandles