Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

Has anyone done the South Shore Zipline Adventure excursion in Honduras? If so do you recommend it? I have a 6 year old that will be doing the excursion too. It states the minimum age is 4 years old.

Went last November and had a great time. They are highly rated on Tripadvisor. The guides were very patient with first-timers and always put safety first. Have fun.

Hello everybody, have a question on transfers. What did most do? Use NCL or private? We are flying in the day before, staying near the Houston air port. My TA suggest that we use the hotel transfer back to the airport and use NCL transfer. I like the idea of going private so I can tell them to pick us up. My cruise is not until March, But I like to have this in place, and one more item done.

I have liked reading this post. a lot if good information.

Thank you in advance for your help.

We stayed at the IAH Marriott and assuming you are staying in a hotel near IAH (not Hobby) private transfers that we looked were the same as or more expensive than taxis. It was $120 for a taxi from IAH to the port for four of us (two adults / two kids) and would have been $150 one way for the NCL transfer ($50 pp but the youngest would have been free). So for two (if there's only two of you) it may be a bit cheaper to use the NCL transfer but then you are on their schedule and need to load and unload at the hotel and the airport just to catch the NCL transfer.

Some say UberX is the cheapest if you use Uber. I don't.

Another option is to do a one day rental with Budget at IAH with drop off in Webster (about a $40 cab ride to the port). Budget doesn't charge a drop fee like Enterprise does. We did the same in reverse on debark day and spent the day in and around Houston before going back to the IAH Marriott.

If you fly in to Hobby I'd just cab (or UberX it).

Hope this helps.

Happy cruising

cSm

I am not leaving until April 9th but I was wondering if anyone in the 2 bedroom family suite had a picture of the lounge chairs, when we were on the jewel last year that they the most amazing lounge chairs. They were a chair and the back reclined and it had a foot stool, I could practically sleep on the chair it was so comfortable. I love to read while the kids take a nap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On this ship you get faux rattan/wicker furniture with pads that does not recline. Here's the video of this suite so you can see for yourself, btw:

I know it's confusing that they call it a penthouse when it is actually the 2 bedroom family suite. That is what it used to be called.

Has anyone done the South Shore Zipline Adventure excursion in Honduras? If so do you recommend it? I have a 6 year old that will be doing the excursion too. It states the minimum age is 4 years old.

There are results for this question on Cruise Critic here and scroll down to see the results:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/shore-excursions/excursion/4366/

We stayed at the IAH Marriott and assuming you are staying in a hotel near IAH (not Hobby) private transfers that we looked were the same as or more expensive than taxis. It was $120 for a taxi from IAH to the port for four of us (two adults / two kids) and would have been $150 one way for the NCL transfer ($50 pp but the youngest would have been free). So for two (if there's only two of you) it may be a bit cheaper to use the NCL transfer but then you are on their schedule and need to load and unload at the hotel and the airport just to catch the NCL transfer.

Some say UberX is the cheapest if you use Uber. I don't.

I'm not sure why you won't try Uber, but everyone has their reasons for things. It definitely is the cheapest option, though. You can put in IAH as the pickup point and Port of Houston cruise terminal as the drop off and see that it gives an estimate of $61-80.

So one person traveling alone could save a little money by using a shuttle or transfer, but otherwise Uber really is cheaper, even for 2 people

If you've never tried uber, you can use the code 5OPUS to get $15 off your first ride.

If you've never tried uber, you can use the code 5OPUS to get $15 off your first ride.

Uber treats drivers as independent contractors ("Third Party Providers") so how do you know your driver is even truly covered for fare-paying passengers ?

From their site: "UBER DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY, SAFETY OR ABILITY OF THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS. YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND ANY SERVICE OR GOOD REQUESTED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, REMAINS SOLELY WITH YOU, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. "

They then go on to say their liability is $500.00 max.:

UBER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DELAY OR FAILURE IN PERFORMANCE RESULTING FROM CAUSES BEYOND UBER'S REASONABLE CONTROL. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIRD PARTY TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION SERVICES REQUESTED THROUGH SOME REQUEST BRANDS MAY OFFER RIDESHARING OR PEER-TO-PEER TRANSPORTATION SERVICES AND MAY NOT BE PROFESSIONALLY LICENSED OR PERMITTED. IN NO EVENT SHALL UBER'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED FIVE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS (US $500). UBER'S SERVICES MAY BE USED BY YOU TO REQUEST AND SCHEDULE TRANSPORTATION, GOODS, OR LOGISTICS SERVICES WITH THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS, BUT YOU AGREE THAT UBER HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY TO YOU RELATED TO ANY TRANSPORTATION, GOODS OR LOGISTICS SERVICES PROVIDED TO YOU BY THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THESE TERMS.

https://www.uber.com/legal/usa/terms

I don't know what insurance they require of their "Third Party Providers" as you have to create an account to see it but I bet it's not enforced.

They're ride brokers, risks are upon the customer.

I wouldn't touch them:eek:

Edited by pspercy

They then go on to say their liability is $500.00 max.:

UBER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DELAY OR FAILURE IN PERFORMANCE RESULTING FROM CAUSES BEYOND UBER'S REASONABLE CONTROL. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIRD PARTY TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION SERVICES REQUESTED THROUGH SOME REQUEST BRANDS MAY OFFER RIDESHARING OR PEER-TO-PEER TRANSPORTATION SERVICES AND MAY NOT BE PROFESSIONALLY LICENSED OR PERMITTED. IN NO EVENT SHALL UBER'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED FIVE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS (US $500).

They're ride brokers, risks are upon the customer.

I wouldn't touch them:eek:

I guess I get that for some people, the right to sue a company in case something awful happens is important. For me, I've never actually sued anyone, so I prefer having good service at decent rates, with drivers that get kicked out of the system if they don't keep up their ratings. If I ever got truly bad service from an Uber driver, I would give that driver a low rating, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think, for must cruise passengers that want to get from either of Houston's airports (or downtown hotels or whatever) to Bayport cruise terminal in a convenient and economical manner, Uber is a good bet. It is cheap, fast and easy.

I'm not sure why you won't try Uber, but everyone has their reasons for things. It definitely is the cheapest option, though. You can put in IAH as the pickup point and Port of Houston cruise terminal as the drop off and see that it gives an estimate of $61-80.

So one person traveling alone could save a little money by using a shuttle or transfer, but otherwise Uber really is cheaper, even for 2 people

Not sure this is really the place for it but since you asked. The taxi business is regulated with companies and drivers having to meet certain standards and pay for proper licensing and go through various checks. There's no way to be more specific because the rules and regulations for livery vary from city to city. When Uber starts playing by the same rules as everyone else then I'll consider using them. This could equally be as a result of taxi commissions changing rules as it could be Uber conforming to the rules.

I don't care if you use Uber, just not sure why you think I should? In fact, if you read my post I actually state that I know that Uber is cheaper and is an option, it's just one I choose not to use and cost is not always the final arbiter in the decisions I make.

Ok, couple of questions, flying in the night before for 2/6 departure on the Jade. Never have been on Norwegian but have been on other cruise lines, the days at sea are the best, lots going on and fun. Is this the same on this line? This is a smaller ship than I have been on before.

Do people bring water on for the excursion days or just to keep in their room?

Has anyone rented a car in Cozumel? We will have a party of 6 so heard this is the best way to beach hop since the island is small.

Ok, couple of questions, flying in the night before for 2/6 departure on the Jade. Never have been on Norwegian but have been on other cruise lines, the days at sea are the best, lots going on and fun. Is this the same on this line? This is a smaller ship than I have been on before.

Has anyone rented a car in Cozumel? We will have a party of 6 so heard this is the best way to beach hop since the island is small.

We have been on the Jade and its sister ship, the Jewel, but not on any of the larger ships so don't have much to compare it to. I think you would find lots going on during the sea days, but it depends on what you like to do. Some returning passengers have posted the daily schedules, so if you look at those you might get an idea of the activities. The Jade doesn't have a climbing wall or big slides, if that matters to you. My wife and I like more quiet activities on sea days, by the pool or reading in the Library or enjoying a drink in the Great Outdoors. We don't do Bingo or game shows or things like that. We like the sea days for the relaxation and not having to keep a schedule. But everyone is different.

We don't bring bottled water on board but we do plan to bring water bottles to fill on the ship and take on excursions.

I don't know about renting a car in Cozumel. Never done it.

Edited by hawk1972

Thank You! Yes, we do like to be by the pool also on sea days, but sometimes fun to do Bingo or different activities going on. Going to be on this cruise for Super Bowl so hoping they have some kind of Super bowl party!

I am going to try to do more research on renting a car. Thanks again!

Just so you know you may bring bottled water on board but have to carry it on. I usually bring Diet Coke but since we have the UBP which includes soft drinks I won't have to this time.

Yes, but after reading some of the boards they say you have to lug it around since you can't put a luggage tag on it anymore :( Guess we will just bring a reusable water bottle. We also have the UBP but didn't realize it also included soda!

We have rented a mini van in Cozumel before and will probably never do it again. Luckily, we didn't have any terrible issues except for being told to put more gas in before we returned the vehicle. If you should get involved in an accident, damages have to be resolved before you will be allowed to leave the island. Hopefully you'll have enough cash to bail you out.

We take a couple of large bottles of water and put them in our luggage. We also bring refillable bottles. NCL only carries Pepsi products so I also bring a 2 liter Coke Zero and put it in our luggage, as well. We had the UBP. My husband is diabetic. We finally found some Diet Sierra Mist at the Martini Bar but they didn't have any at the other bars or drink locations.

There's lots of fun things to do on the ship while at sea.

Port time is so limited that I don't think I would waste time trying to rent a car, find my way around in a foreign country and then worry about accidents, etc. I would look for a specific activity and go book it as an excursion. You don't need to book a ship excursion as there are plenty of local vendors.

8dbd83103573e8dde0be041357009cba.jpg281471c31c446fce1706433b278c6827.jpg5b62016c90d38b2cf58ac3ce5bc1b289.jpg7287a7d92d4917520f434b0ee6bb43df.jpg59a06f19a050bd4cf58a72af4a01fb2a.jpgb44f05eba9bdef12a3fb4456a3b1c8cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Port time is so limited that I don't think I would waste time trying to rent a car, find my way around in a foreign country and then worry about accidents, etc. I would look for a specific activity and go book it as an excursion. You don't need to book a ship excursion as there are plenty of local vendors.

AND, if you are going to beach "hop", there's a fee at each beach.

Of the 3 ports the Jade visits, Cozumel will be the easiest one to "do your own thing" in my opinion, since we dock and don't have to tender. Taxis can take you lots of different places and they are easy to catch.

We brought water and put it in our luggage. Didn't lug it around as a carry-on. As long as it fits inside luggage, it should be OK. At least it was was on the Dec 12 sailing. And it's Pepsi on board so if you want diet coke, you need to bring it. I wish we had brought a few bottles of soda even with ubp so we didn't have to go to the bar to get a soda every time.

I have been doing some reading about Playa Palancar, and apparently there's not an entrance fee, but the cab ride is about $25 one way.

There's a fee schedule at the taxi station. We went to Iberostar $20 each way..

Secrets Aura Cozumel Resort & Spa $116 Inclusive

Iberostar Cozumel Resort $65 Inclusive

"IBEROSTAR Cozumel Hotel

Ctra. Costera Sur, Km 17.782

77600 Cozumel

Tel: +52 987 8 72 99 00

Fax: +52 987 8 72 99 09 - See more at: http://www.iberostar.com/en/hotels/cozumel/iberostar-cozumel/location#sthash.7kah7o7k.dpuf"

Melia Resort Beach $49.99 Inclusive

Cozumel El Cid La Ceiba Beach $65 Inclusive

Cozumel El Cozumeleno $69 Inclusive

Cozumel Palace $97 Inclusive

Mr. Sancho's $55 Inclusive

Paradise Beach $3 Not Inclusive

Nachi Cocum $55 Inclusive

"Carretera a Chankanaab k.m. 16.5, Costera Sur

Cozumel, Q.Roo, México CP 77600"