What is needed for the beach

Amusing and serious answers welcome :)

I don't do beach holidays but i will be visiting some beaches next spring on my worldie cruise segment. so what minimum stuff do I need to take to the beach. Sandals for wading? Sand/water proof bag for camera etc? tote bag for blokes?

I probably won't be doing any swimming.

Sun cream, sunhat and Deet(?) depending on where you are going. I'd also say a lounger and umbrella is a must - we were only staying at a beach for a short time in Aruba and thought we'd make do with towels on the sand. Big mistake! DH was like a pin cushion presumably bitten by sand flies. I think if I wasn't going to swim I'd research your PoC and select beaches with a nice beach bar/restaurant as an option too.

DH generally uses a lightweight rucksack for towel, swimwear, camera, Kindle etc. We don't go to any special lengths re sand/waterproofing but put items in plastic bags inside the rucksack but unless you're whipping up a storm(!) we don't usually find there is a problem with sand. Just make sure if you're in the front rank of sunbeds though that you keep an eye on the tide. We've seen quite a few folk swamped by an especially big wave! We don't bother with sand shoes but then again a bit of research regarding the nature of the sand and if it's gritty/broken shell could indicate sand/wading shoes would be a good idea.

We usually just look for fellow passengers on the beach (the towels are a give-away) and ask them if they would just keep an eye on our things if we want a dip.

Is it the Australia/Far East segment(s) you're doing? Very envious if so! :).

Sun cream, sunhat and Deet(?) depending on where you are going. I'd also say a lounger and umbrella is a must - we were only staying at a beach for a short time in Aruba and thought we'd make do with towels on the sand. Big mistake! DH was like a pin cushion presumably bitten by sand flies. I think if I wasn't going to swim I'd research your PoC and select beaches with a nice beach bar/restaurant as an option too.

DH generally uses a lightweight rucksack for towel, swimwear, camera, Kindle etc. We don't go to any special lengths re sand/waterproofing but put items in plastic bags inside the rucksack but unless you're whipping up a storm(!) we don't usually find there is a problem with sand. Just make sure if you're in the front rank of sunbeds though that you keep an eye on the tide. We've seen quite a few folk swamped by an especially big wave! We don't bother with sand shoes but then again a bit of research regarding the nature of the sand and if it's gritty/broken shell could indicate sand/wading shoes would be a good idea.

We usually just look for fellow passengers on the beach (the towels are a give-away) and ask them if they would just keep an eye on our things if we want a dip.

Is it the Australia/Far East segment(s) you're doing? Very envious if so! :).

Thanks Kruzseeka. it is the Sydney to Singapore segment so wearing footware while paddling etc is recommended. Apparently there are some nasty beasties out there you would not want to stand on :eek:

I only have a check-in case allowance of 20KG for 28 nights including 8 formals :mad: Maybe i can buy the cheap rucksack and sandals? when i get to Sydney as we have 2 full days there, but only if i can remember which planet i am on. ;)

yep... cheap rucksack & cheap sandals.... which you could probably pick up out there very cheaply;)

i usually buy a couple of those cheap combination padlocks so that i can lock up my rucksack (through the zipper pulls) and padlock it to a tree (or someting?)

once a day sun lotion (p20) put it on before you go no need to take it to the beach

I find those little waterproof phone cases useful (they sell them on the plane) I clip it to the inside of of my shorts pocket and keep a few dollars & ship card in there.... i have a waterproof camera which i keep with me in the water (with a floaty strap)

Thanks Kruzseeka. it is the Sydney to Singapore segment so wearing footware while paddling etc is recommended. Apparently there are some nasty beasties out there you would not want to stand on :eek:

I only have a check-in case allowance of 20KG for 28 nights including 8 formals :mad: Maybe i can buy the cheap rucksack and sandals? when i get to Sydney as we have 2 full days there, but only if i can remember which planet i am on. ;)

Are these the nasty beasties you are referring to Dave? They are worse when just a few of them because they are sometimes hard to see. They give a very nasty sting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256080/Swarms-bluebottles-wash-Australian-coast-thousands-people-prepare-flock-beaches-enjoy-hot-sunny-weather.html

Ugh! :eek:

apparently on one beach excursion you have to wade ashore and if there are any stingers about a 'stinger suit' is an essential. You can buy the suits aboard the catamaran but i imagine a lot of passengers will stay aboard and stare wistfully at the beach, fortified by the thought of the free lunch.

That sounds good Dave.

I have rock climbing shoes which I use for rocky beaches. They weren't expensive and don't come off if you were to go swimming............though I don't know if I'd bother. Just go in the pool I think.;):D

A family we saw most days on the beach a few years ago always had the following kit-

1. 3 sets of swimwear per person

2. towel robes for changing

3. line and pegs for drying

4. elastic bands to hold the towel on the sunbed top and bottom

5. a large paintbrush to brush sand off the sunbeds

6. a crate of beer

guess the nationality?!!!

kate

Somerset? :)

Nah! the crate would be cider :D

ps - I have solved the rubbing sun screen on my back problem. The solo section of the forum has dozens of suggestions but the one i liked the best is probably a bit sexist - invite a nice waitress on the excursion :eek::o However i take a back brush for the shower so attaching a flannel to it with elastic bands and applying all day sun screen will have to do :(

Edited by davecttr