Advice on flight times out of Houston

Mare10

I know this has been discussed before but I'm really needing some help. We will be returning from a cruise into Houston on Feb. 21st. I booked a flight leaving Houston Hobby at 12:25 pm. I'm hearing from some that there are often delays in cruises returning due to fog.

My question is...... Should we change our flight to a later departure out of Houston? I would hate to miss the flight.

Thank you!

It is a dice roll regarding fog that time of year. I will say this much though, we had a weather delay on our cruise out of the Houston Bayport terminal last November both departing and returning. On returning we had standard debarking and cleared custom's at 12:55 pm, Express people started leaving the ship around 11 am, scheduled was 7:30 am. The odd thing about all this is we were less than 2 hours late arriving at the port due to fog, but nearly 4 hours late debarking the ship.

We arrived back into Galveston Nov 1 - getting off the ship wasn't delayed - we grabbed a porter to expedite the customs lines. No delays. THEN came the mess called transportation to IAH - what a sloppy port (compared to others we've been to). Traffic officers giving shuttle drivers a hard time (we used Galveston Express), trying to fit all passengers booked (and their luggage) into the van(s) - pretty chaotic. AND it was raining! Our flight was leaving IAH at 2:10, and while our shuttle was due to pick us up at 9:45 - 10:00 we didn't even leave the port until a bit after 11. With our extra time we didn't have to stress or worry. We arrived at IAH in time to grab a bite to eat and calmly make our way to the gate.

In my opinion your timeline sounds tight.

Edited by tea4ular

I appreciate your input. Having never been much of a gambler I decided to change to a later flight. It's not worth worrying about! As you said we can leisurely get to the airport without the worries!

Marilyn 😊

I appreciate your input. Having never been much of a gambler I decided to change to a later flight. It's not worth worrying about! As you said we can leisurely get to the airport without the worries!

Marilyn

You made good decision. Houston has large population and still growing fast. Traffic around Houston can be bad in the weekend.

There is always traffic on I-45 going through downtown. Which airport are you leaving from? Hobby or IAH? For IAH it is further north of Houston going through downtown area and takes longer time than Hobby which is south of Houston and not going through downtown area.

Edited by StrikeEagle

You made good decision. Houston has large population and still growing fast. Traffic around Houston can be bad in the weekend.

There is always traffic on I-45 going through downtown. Which airport are you leaving from? Hobby or IAH? For IAH it is further north of Houston going through downtown area and takes longer time than Hobby which is south of Houston and not going through downtown area.

We're flying out of Hobby but I still think we made the right decision. I would hate to waste a minute of our cruise worrying about getting to the airport on time!