Early Saver Price Drop/Cabin Change question

lolavix

I am toying with the idea of booking a Carnival cruise. We've only done one other cruise and it was on NCL, so the different price structures of Carnival are something I am trying to learn. I understand about the $50 pp penalty to cancel and the holding of the remainder of the deposit ($200 pp) for up to two years.

I thought I understood the benefit of the Early Saver option--if you note a price change you fill out a form and you get the cheaper price if it's before final payment, or OBC if it's after final payment. I'm good with those. :D

In my searches, I just now read that some promotions which would result in a lower fare might require you to cancel your first booking and rebook to get the price difference, and in those cases, you could lose the cabin you first had. I'm guessing that it's a possibility, albeit remote, that it could happen in the few minutes this takes to cancel and rebook.

The reason this would concern me (and probably lessen the benefit of Early Saver for my family) is that I would be booking two rooms--a balcony and an inside, and I wouldn't want my group to be separated if one cabin is relocated and the other isn't.

So--three questions.

1. Do I have the basics of Early Saver correct?

2. In your experience with Early Saver, how often have you had to 'cancel and rebook' versus just 'filling out the form and getting the price decrease'?

3. If you've had to "cancel and rebook", did you lose the original cabin? (I assume that sometimes, people might want to change their cabin to upgrade or obtain a better location, so I am thinking that the number of people who cancelled and rebooked, "lost" their original cabin and were upset about it is very small, but I figure, I'll ask.)

Thank you.

I am toying with the idea of booking a Carnival cruise. We've only done one other cruise and it was on NCL, so the different price structures of Carnival are something I am trying to learn. I understand about the $50 pp penalty to cancel and the holding of the remainder of the deposit ($200 pp) for up to two years.

I thought I understood the benefit of the Early Saver option--if you note a price change you fill out a form and you get the cheaper price if it's before final payment, or OBC if it's after final payment. I'm good with those. :D

In my searches, I just now read that some promotions which would result in a lower fare might require you to cancel your first booking and rebook to get the price difference, and in those cases, you could lose the cabin you first had. I'm guessing that it's a possibility, albeit remote, that it could happen in the few minutes this takes to cancel and rebook.

The reason this would concern me (and probably lessen the benefit of Early Saver for my family) is that I would be booking two rooms--a balcony and an inside, and I wouldn't want my group to be separated if one cabin is relocated and the other isn't.

So--three questions.

1. Do I have the basics of Early Saver correct?

2. In your experience with Early Saver, how often have you had to 'cancel and rebook' versus just 'filling out the form and getting the price decrease'?

3. If you've had to "cancel and rebook", did you lose the original cabin? (I assume that sometimes, people might want to change their cabin to upgrade or obtain a better location, so I am thinking that the number of people who cancelled and rebooked, "lost" their original cabin and were upset about it is very small, but I figure, I'll ask.)

Thank you.

1. Yes.

2. Never. Just filled out the form. The 'cancel and rebook' only applies if you are trying to match to the guarantee price category. This price cat does not apply to a specific cabin type, just a cabin class (inside, OV, or balcony)

3. I've never matched to a guarantee because you must give up your room, and I am usually pretty picky about my room type and location.

I dont know if this is the norm or not, but our last cruise we had a balcony and two insides booked Early Saver we matched to a gty rate, the two inside cabins were beside each other and we ended up down one cabin across from them.

I had read on hear that if you book gty's on the same booking they try and keep them close together.

We have booked ES since they came out with it, and this was the onyl time our cabins changed and it was because we matched a gty cabin.

I dont know if this is the norm or not, but our last cruise we had a balcony and two insides booked Early Saver we matched to a gty rate, the two inside cabins were beside each other and we ended up down one cabin across from them.

I had read on hear that if you book gty's on the same booking they try and keep them close together.

We have booked ES since they came out with it, and this was the onyl time our cabins changed and it was because we matched a gty cabin.

When you match to a guarantee, is it true that you then are no longer considered ES, and no future price drops are allowed? I think I read this on CC at some point.

When you match to a guarantee, is it true that you then are no longer considered ES, and no future price drops are allowed? I think I read this on CC at some point.

I'm not sure so I cant help you out here, we were only about 2 weeks out when I changed to gty so I didnt really bother looking any more.

This is our first cruise with Carnival and we booked ES back in Feb for next Jan for two of our cabins. I have moved cabins, added people and more cabins no problem. I also did a price match for the first two cabins when an OBC offer came up and again for one when one was eligible for larger OBC.

It is now after final payment and I am watching for price drops. I have even moved the cabins so we are right together (one outside, three inside right across hall). I have never filled out the forms, found it was quicker to call and everyone has been wonderful.

If you find an OBC offer, but your cabin price is more expensive than when you purchased (ES), do you still get OBC? I assumed that if they offered say a $50 OBC, but the rooms are now $100 more, you couldn't ask for anything.:confused:

If you find an OBC offer, but your cabin price is more expensive than when you purchased (ES), do you still get OBC? I assumed that if they offered say a $50 OBC, but the rooms are now $100 more, you couldn't ask for anything.:confused:

you would have to pay the new rate. I got lucky and the price was the same so I got OBC and no extra charge. we have 1 cabin with $30 obc and one with $200. It was worth watching for it.

If you are considering a new fare, first verify with your TA, PVP, etc whether the particular change would require you to cancel and rebook. We had this situation on our last cruise and were told our cabin number would change (it did). Since we were traveling alone, this was fine with us (particularly in light of the sizeable OBC we received)

Edited by simplelife

We booked an inside guarantee on early saver and paid in full. The price went down so we simply called and they applied the price difference in form of OBC.

Us as well. We always get the inside guarantee with early saver. If it goes down in price, I just call my PVP and he takes care of it.

By getting inside guarantee cabin we have always been placed on the top levels.