Cruising on your own - advice

bytes

I'll soon be cruising with my elderly mother and her friend, and apart from having dinner with them both I'll be spending the afternoon & evening on my own.

I did a similar trip 3 years ago with them both, and I felt pretty lonely for much of the time. After afternoon or evening 'activities' finished, people would just go off to do their own thing, and it would be a long time until the next 'activity' that I could do.

eg. i sat with others at Trivia, and there was no chance to interact with them because it was played really quickly. Then as soon as it was finished the groups just headed off to do their own thing. The 'next' activity may have been 60 or 90 minutes later and I had to try to do something to fill the gap. The musicians in the foyer (and everywhere) were really loud so you couldn't see someone sitting alone and talk to them ....

If you're on your own, how do you find people to chat / interact with inside the ship? Hope you know what I mean ....

Edited by bytes

I'll soon be cruising with my elderly mother and her friend, and apart from having dinner with them both I'll be spending the afternoon & evening on my own.

I did a similar trip 3 years ago with them both, and I felt pretty lonely for much of the time. After afternoon or evening 'activities' finished, people would just go off to do their own thing, and it would be a long time until the next 'activity' that I could do.

eg. i sat with others at Trivia, and there was no chance to interact with them because it was played really quickly. Then as soon as it was finished the groups just headed off to do their own thing. The 'next' activity may have been 60 or 90 minutes later and I had to try to do something to fill the gap. The musicians in the foyer (and everywhere) were really loud so you couldn't see someone sitting alone and talk to them ....

If you're on your own, how do you find people to chat / interact with inside the ship? Hope you know what I mean ....

not sure what ship your cruising on but i would say that most ships have a solo meet & greet which would be publised in the daily news sheet or join the roll call and try and meet with other passengers

have you joined your roll call or if you go on FB they might have one

Thanks for your help :)

Yes, I've signed up for the Meet and Greet - someone said that they last for 30 minutes which isn't that much.

I thought there might be a certain place on board ships that it's easier to chat to people.

Actually, I just thought about something ..... maybe the adult spa (pool for only adults etc) might be a social place. Never been to one but maybe it won't be too noisy that you can have a conversation ;)

Thanks for your help :)

Yes, I've signed up for the Meet and Greet - someone said that they last for 30 minutes which isn't that much.

I thought there might be a certain place on board ships that it's easier to chat to people.

Actually, I just thought about something ..... maybe the adult spa (pool for only adults etc) might be a social place. Never been to one but maybe it won't be too noisy that you can have a conversation ;)

I always travel by myself and have never had any problem with meeting people to chat with. A good place is the coffee lounge. I always meet interesting people there. Also I always request my table for dinner is a large one and that way you always get to meet many different people.

Chez