First cruise--recommended # of days??

Jane0218

My fiance & I will be 1st time cruisers. We are looking to do a last minute booking for the Caribbean around mid-October.

Any suggestions on how many days to make that 1st cruise? We aren't sure if we should do 7 or 10 days.

Also, any thoughts on going through the Panama Canal? Is it interesting to do?

Jane,

Welcome to the world of cruising. Our travel advisor (TA) recommended a 7 day cruise for our first one, which turned out to be really good. It gave us a taste of cruising, and we were hooked on both cruising and the cruise line she recommended. Our 2nd cruise, recommended by a former friend who was a TA, was a 10 day on a line that did not suit our personalities, and those extra three days seemed really long. Had it been a compatible line, we would have had an extraordinary time.

So we recommend the seven day cruise, unless you have had some good recommendations from friends who know you well (and have no financial interest in how you travel). The secret to a good cruise is that you enjoy the time with each other doing things you want to do and sharing onboard and onshore experiences. I'm sure that will be the case for you no matter what ship you are on.

Panama is great, and as you can see from my signature, is a place we have found worth repeating. It takes a 10 day cruise to get there. The cruise that traversed from coast to coast was our best experience of the three times we've been there, as we were able to get the full canal experience in a leisurely manner. With going through multiple locks you have a chance to view from several places on the ship, from the upper decks to down close and personal on the Promenade deck. If you go to Panama, make sure the ship is not too big to actually traverse the locks. The term for a good ship is Panamax compatible. The Grand class of Princess will go to a nearby port and then bus you to the canal locks. I'm an engineer and found the canal fascinating.

Happy cruising

Jane,

Go for the 7-day to make sure that you will like cruising. Some people do, some dont. You didnt say which port you wanted to go out of. Right now there are great bargains on the Norwegian Sun out of Houston. Look at the Oct 16 or Oct 23 sailing. An inside cabin is $399pp while an OV is $499. The Oct 30 sailing is going to be 40% gay, some people are okay with it and others shocked.

Keep in mind that there will be a $10 per day per person grat. charge. $140 total for 7-day and also parking for 7-days ($84). Alcoholic and soft drinks are extra. Just telling you all this so that you can plan your finances to cover these charges.

The other thing is to bring along a positive attitude. So many people will let life's little misfortunes drag them down and ruin their vacation by dwelling on the negatives instead of the positives. The other thing is to participate in all the events that you can. Even if you cant participate, it is comical watching others. Like my last cruise where I came out onto the stage in nothing but a pair of boxers and a boa during one of the games.

Dave

Suppose a first-time cruiser doesn't take to cruising very well? Wouldn't 7 days become a pretty long stretch?

My first cruise was 5 days 4 nights, Monday to Friday. Boarding day and disembarking days are really not cruising days, but that still leaves 3 days to get a feel for cruising, sailing, choppiness, sea-legs, shore excursions, meals, lounges, massages, topless sunbathing, entertainment. Even the experience of checking-in and disembarking are quite an adventure (and quite a learning experience) for first-timers.

I would think if you really don't take well to cruising, anything longer than 5 days would seem reeeallly long

when people ask my advice about going on a cruise, I advise them to try a short (3 or 4 day) cruise to see if they like it. No sense in risking being miserable for a week if they don't. Last year, my mother went on her first cruise at age 80, expecting not to like it, as she gets motion sickness easily. But, she enjoyed it. It was a four day Baja cruise so I think that helped.

My first cruise (not counting trips around Marina Del Rey, Catalina, etc) was on an one-day gambling special (San Diego to Ensenada) just to make sure I can take it. And we took our little one on her first cruise at 23 months on a three-day cruise. In December, we're going on our longest one ever - 15 days! And we can't wait.

You see, you get very different opinions. Here is mine:

Ten days are much better than just seven or less. You need some time to settle down and to really enjoy pace and atmoshere of a cruise. On your first cruise you will want to get to know the ship and all the ports, try the restaurants, the shows, maybe the spa and so on. But maybe you want to relax and actually realize what you are doing, too. Thus, don't rush yourseslf, don't squeeze everything in a few days. Enjoy a longer cruise.

Regarding the Panama Canal: It is very different from normal cruise experience and very interesting. The world passes by left and right of the ship.

I would have to agree. Any thing less than 7 days are to confusing its all over and you will not even know it. I would check to see what acctivities that they have see what you would like to do. You don't have to do everything but at least you will get some of the cruise experience that way you would know if you like it. JMHO AL.D

Ok, I have questions first. These will help you decide. Do you enjoy alone time, dancing, shows, dinner in a nice setting. How about sunbathing, pools, hot tubs. Games either of chance or fun type. Do you enjoy exploring stange places. Do you enjoy people watching and crowds.

If you answer yes to most questions then cruising could be for you. If you answer no then I would look at another type of vaction.

There is plenty to do depending on shipand line you go on. If you and SO are into sports in a big way then Royal Caribbean may be for you with the Voyager class. If you want more refined then Princess or Celebrity. If you want very casual then NCL.

Now the 7or 10 day debate. I always recommend a 7 day cruise as this is generally considered the most relaxing yet inclusive one for a starter. You will have a sea day right away in most cases so you can explore your ship and discover wheather you like the pool or a bar or your own areas. Then you get to your first port and learn about getting on and off the ship. Meeting places for shore excursion. You may learn about an island or discover how to snorkle for the first time. You may even learn about sunburns.

You will meet others like you who want to have fun and relax. You will see other cultures and animals in the wild.

On embarkation/debarkation you will learn many things. One thing that you must bring is a smile and a good attitude. There will be hipcops ie the first elevator after dinner will be full so you must wait for another or take the stairs. When first getting to the terminal leave your bags and a tip with the porters. Then find out where you have to go in the terminal. Get your first pic before you step on board.

Yes for the first one 7 days is a good lenght. Then if you do like it you can go on a longer one next time. Or if you are not sure because you ran into some problems I suggests you try again but with a different line and a shorter trip. If it still does not go while then cruising is not for you. If the second shorter one was good then try the 10 day on that line.

First cruise we did 5. Second we did 7. Now booked for third and we're doing 10. See a pattern? -lol

Anyhow, I think in mid October, you'd want to go for less days. It's still hurricane season which means you might miss port days. Unless you know for certain that you're not going to get bored on the ship, I'd "get a taste" of cruising first.

I've never been fortunate enough to cruise more than 7 days, but some day, I will.

I'll have to disagree with the poster who recommend 5 days or less. Generally, the ships that do the short cruise market are not the nicer ships. They are typically older (nothing wrong with that) and generally do not go to the best choices of ports. I've done short cruises several times and while they are nice, they don't represent the best part of cruising for us, which is to totally relax and unwind. Just when you start to get into it, it's over.

Unless you have a very short distance to travel, or the short cruise is part of an extended vacation, I'd not recommend them to a first timer.

We have done all 7 day cruises and we love them. I would also love to do a 10 day cruise, but don't have the time due to work.

One thing that I have heard about the 10 day cruises is that they are usually taken by older folks with the extra time for the lengthier cruise. That may be something you want to think about. If you are looking for a cruise with a wide variety of ages, you will be more apt to find that on a 7 day cruise.

that was our first cruise (and thus far, only, but not for long!) and we loved it. IMO, you really just get settled in on the 2nd or 3rd day, plus, IMO, the ports are much better than the 3,4 or 5 day cruises (in addition I've heard the hard-core partiers are on the shorter cruises and can put a downer on your trip). I've also heard on here, again and again, that the service and experience is better on atleast a 7 day cruise. I'm also taking into consideration(depending on where you live and are sailing from) 2 whole days for travelling to the port, so to me, 2 days of travelling for 3 days at sea seems a little much. Much to my own surprise, I enjoy the "at sea days" as much as the port days to just relax, so it's almost as important to me how many of those are on an intinerary as well as how many/which ports are visited. 7 days was absolutely perfect for us, our next we're planning a 7 day as well, I don't know that I'd like a 10 day, though...there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and we have 2 small children that don't cruise with us and I can't imagine being away from them THAT long.

I guess I can't see anyone being "miserable and trapped" on a ship...unless you were deathly ill or seasick the entire time. :eek:

Most people on these boards love cruising. That's why we're here.

Before my 1st cruise I had nightmares about being trapped & board on a ship, not to mention being seasick & hating my tablemates (the strangers / friends you haven't met yet :) you will be seated with at dinner on a traditional dining cruise). So I booked a 4 day cruise. It was plenty long enough to get me hooked. :D Now of course, it would seem too short.

For your 1st cruise I would not do anything longer than a 7 day voyage, just in case.

I would recommend a 7-day cruise for your 1st time at sea. This will provide you with an opportunity to experience many of the excursions and ship activities that are offered. Seven days will also provide you with a chance to experience more of the dining options that are offered. My husband and I did 7 days on our first cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our next cruise was 10 days, which included 3 sea days, which were absolutely fantastic. We have taken a total of 3 cruises and are scheduled for our next one in June. I am personally hooked on cruising and wouldn't this vacation experience for any other in the world.

We just got back this week from our first cruise which was 12 days. It felt just right for us and we can't wait to do another even though we did experience a storm one evening. I am looking for something of an equal or longer length, anything shorter would feel too short for me.

We all have our own preferences for sure.;) We'd "never" do a seven day cruise. It's too much work getting ready and a seven day one isn't seven days at all; you leave at six or so and are at the dock at six in the morning on the last day.

Our first cruise was 24 days!! Really. My Mother was really worried about my husband...that he wouldn't like it.............but the last night as we were packing, he asked me, "If they said they'd reposition again, would you stay on?"

I said I'd have to think about it; he said, "It wouldn't take me two seconds to go for it."

Then, last Dec. I wanted to take my grown "kids" on the Hawaii (15 day) one and my SIL was worried he'd be "bored."

Well, he had a BLAST and couldn't believe all there was to do onboard.:)

Ten days is the minimum we will go on................so far!! Actually, it takes a couple of days to figure out the ship, dining areas, schedules, etc.

YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Archived