Shopping? For what??

GloriaF

Some friends on our roll call were discussing shopping in Grand Cayman after our Rays, Reef & Run Point Nativeway tour - and we were wondering what are the SPECIAL THINGS we should be looking for in GC??

Rum Cake? Where?

Vanilla - is that GC or another island?

Thanks for any & all help :)

We stayed on Grand Cayman for two weeks and the best thing to buy was the Rum Cake. If I am remembering correctly, it is cheaper on the island than either on the ship or in other ports - you can buy it almost anywhere in the Caribbean. Any gift shop in Georgetown will have it.

I also bought a necklace made with a gold coin salvaged from a ship wreck. You can find a lot of that type of jewelry in Grand Cayman. It wasn't cheap, but a nice souvenir. You can only have so many beach towels or t-shirts.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply - I don't buy tees or towels, as once I'm home I never use them. I like to have some little trinket, though, like a bracelet or such. I'll make a point of looking at the jewelry from salvaged wrecks and see if I can afford it.

There are a few jewelry stores that specialize in shipwreck coin jewelry. I saw a thread on shopping in Grand Cayman that listed a few links to shopping information where the names were listed. I get a lot of nice comments on my necklace. The choices are many and all very beautiful.

A couple shopping items I especially enjoy:

(A) black coral--I could only afford a small,black heart-shaped charm with a gold streak through it. It was signed by Richard. Not sure if he is still living, but he had a very nice museum-type store on the front street.

(B) The time I swam with the stingrays, I purchased a small,blue, Wedgewood plate with a stingray on it.

I found the stores to be every expensive. My last couple times there, I didn't even get off the ship. 6-8 other ships there at the same time is ridiculous. An enjoyable port last decade has turned into a hassle for me. Too bad....:mad:

My next visit, Nov. 10, has 7 ships scheduled.

Enjoy yourself. Now get out there and SHOP!! SHOP!! SHOP!! Deb C.

I bought a very cute silver stingray necklace, my husband and nephews found good prices on watches. They also have very cheap prices on namebrand alcohal, the cheapest of all the places on our cruise. The rum cakes are great especially trying all the free samples!!

• 1 month later...

Here's a quote from http://www.traffic.org/help/tourist_guide.html on black coral and other items.

The Caribbean:

The Caribbean is home to some of the richest terrestrial and marine environments on earth. Enjoy the sun but watch out for vendors selling tortoise shell jewellery, turtle oil and other items made from endangered sea turtles and other marine species. The semi*precious black corals, heavily exploited for jewellery, are protected by many nations. By collecting or purchasing these souvenirs, you are depleting marine ecosystems, risk having the products seized and you may have to pay hefty fines as well.

Archived