Faulty cabin electrics on Britannia?

groovechick

I recently read a review which said that a pax's electrical devices had either failed to charge or stopped working, in particular hair straighteners. The pax bought new straighteners on board and these also failed on first use in the cabin. A member of P&O staff said there was a problem with the electrics and this appeared to be borne out by the onboard shop having virtually sold out of hair dryers, hair straighteners etc.

Have any CCers who have sailed on Britannia experienced problems using or charging electrical devices? I don't use hair straighteners but DD does, and we would want to charge phones and suchlike. I don't relish the thought of having to replace such expensive items.

I recently read a review which said that a pax's electrical devices had either failed to charge or stopped working, in particular hair straighteners. The pax bought new straighteners on board and these also failed on first use in the cabin. A member of P&O staff said there was a problem with the electrics and this appeared to be borne out by the onboard shop having virtually sold out of hair dryers, hair straighteners etc.

Strange that the on-board shop sold out of hairdryers when each room has one included in their inventory. Surely you would request a replacement from the reception?

In my case, sadly its not worth having a hairdryer :(

Strange that the on-board shop sold out of hairdryers when each room has one included in their inventory. Surely you would request a replacement from the reception?

In my case, sadly its not worth having a hairdryer :(

I concur. 2 mins under the air con does it for me.

Have any CCers who have sailed on Britannia experienced problems using or charging electrical devices? I don't use hair straighteners but DD does, and we would want to charge phones and suchlike. I don't relish the thought of having to replace such expensive items.

I also would like to know, we both have iphones and ipads, i will be more than annoyed if they go bang. Surely this has been checked out

We experienced no problems with the electrical system. My wife used straighteners everyday and we charged all our devices with no difficulty. We never leave anything charging whilst unattended.

The shop doesn't stock a lot of hair dryers or straighteners and, as already said, I cannot see people needing to replace them onboard as they have them in every cabin.

This could be inconvenient for me, if it is true I am due to cruise on the Britannia in April with a CPAP device. I will have to look to bringing along a surge protector to help prevent any damage.

It would also help protect any other devices that need to be charged or plugged in.

We experienced no problems with the electrical system. My wife used straighteners everyday and we charged all our devices with no difficulty. We never leave anything charging whilst unattended.

The shop doesn't stock a lot of hair dryers or straighteners and, as already said, I cannot see people needing to replace them onboard as they have them in every cabin.

I might have been wrong about the hairdryers (people do bring their own because they do not like the onboard ones, or prefer to use one they are familiar with to get the best styling result), but even if the shop does not stock many hair straighteners, allegedly when the pax bought her replacement set there were quite a few available; when she took the new pair back to the shop those stocks had all but gone. As the pax herself said, she cannot see why people would buy an expensive item such as hair straighteners on board (probably at over-the-odds prices) unless it was an absolute necessity, which begs the question why even a handful of pax would suddenly need to replace hair straighteners which they had brought with them in working order?

Anyway, pleased to hear you had no problems.

I wouldn't leave items charging unattended either, neither did the pax who mentioned the problem in her review - she set about using her own straighteners, they blew. She bought a replacement pair, they started to work and then packed up, despite her referring to the instruction booklet.

Edited by groovechick
Addition

I might have been wrong about the hairdryers (people do bring their own because they do not like the onboard ones, or prefer to use one they are familiar with to get the best styling result), but even if the shop does not stock many hair straighteners, allegedly when the pax bought her replacement set there were quite a few available; when she took the new pair back to the shop those stocks had all but gone. As the pax herself said, she cannot see why people would buy an expensive item such as hair straighteners on board (probably at over-the-odds prices) unless it was an absolute necessity, which begs the question why even a handful of pax would suddenly need to replace hair straighteners which they had brought with them in working order?

Anyway, pleased to hear you had no problems.

I wouldn't leave items charging unattended either, neither did the pax who mentioned the problem in her review - she set about using her own straighteners, they blew. She bought a replacement pair, they started to work and then packed up, despite her referring to the instruction booklet.

Nothing to add to that but my wife bought a pair of GHD Straighteners as they were £20 cheaper onboard but there again I'm pretty gullible. :)

This could be inconvenient for me, if it is true I am due to cruise on the Britannia in April with a CPAP device. I will have to look to bringing along a surge protector to help prevent any damage.

It would also help protect any other devices that need to be charged or plugged in.

We have just returned from Britanian and had no problems with electrics including a cpap.