St. Thomas or St. John

mom22tinks

I have been to St. Thomas 5 times. The first time we did a tour and went to Coki Beach. The 4 other times we headed to Sapphire Beach, which we love. I've recently read in reviews that it is rocky and you need water shoes. I'm wondering if we should forego our usual trip to Sapphire and head over to St. John? I'm hesitant to go to St. John due to the cost of what it'll be to get my family there...which we could use in other islands instead.

Has Sapphire really gone down the tubes?

Sapphire is the same as it has always been. Conditions change from day to day, but overall the beach is mostly the same. There hasn't been a major storm to cause much, if any, erosion. Depending on where you enter the beach, you will encounter rocks, especially if you're all the way down to the right as you face the water.

The portion of the beach in front of the condos buildings has had some erosion but if you go to the left of the dive shop you can easily enter and exit.

I also caution you to not walk, stand on, or touch the coral reefs. The rule is STAND ON SAND. I spend half my time there explaining to visitors that it looks like rock but it is coral so walking on it kills what is left of it after all these years of people walking on it.