Just returned from cruise on Breakaway - any questions?

purplestarlisa

Besides the touchscreens all over the ship, you can also reserve tickets from your room on the TV. I would recommend it, as we got seated right away for a Second City show while there were at least 30 people lined up in the Atrium waiting for stand-by tickets. And we only booked the seats the night before. This also works for other shows, tenders, and dinner reservations.

Just be aware that Second City puts on several different shows. We went for "Game Night" which was billed as a send-up of game shows, but ended up being actual game shows (Pyramid, Match Game ... and a lot of charades). It felt more like a workshop exercise than something to entertain an audience.

Are there any other comedy acts beside Second City? Thanks Don

Go to Cagneys at lunch time. There is a complimentary lunch buffet (smaller but great quality) which really isn't advertised so it's usually not at all crowded. This was the case in April, so ymmv now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On sailaway day is Cagneys open to anyone? Thanks Don

Are there any other comedy acts beside Second City?

Only Second City, though they offer different types of shows: Family Improv, Adult Improv, "Totally at Sea", "Late Night Sketch" and the aforementioned "Game Night". I believe all are 45 minutes shows.

Otherwise the Headliners Comedy Club has Howl at the Moon dueling pianos some evenings and art auctions during the day (and I think bingo as well).

Only Second City, though they offer different types of shows: Family Improv, Adult Improv, "Totally at Sea", "Late Night Sketch" and the aforementioned "Game Night". I believe all are 45 minutes shows.

Otherwise the Headliners Comedy Club has Howl at the Moon dueling pianos some evenings and art auctions during the day (and I think bingo as well).

Thanks Don

I didn't see any lobster tails on any menu. And not on the buffet line.

I sailed Breakaway last December and they had lobster one night in the Haven Restaurant, but sailed again in October and they didn't.

The did have lobster options at Cagney's and Teppanyaki, and probably the other specialty restaurants. Took advantage of both, and was delicious!

How smooth was the tender process at GSC ?

Don't want to scare you, but the tender process was pretty bad this time. A lot of chaos & no one taking charge. If you're not in a rush, my suggestion would be wait for everyone rushing to get off & who have excursions, to go & then get on one that's not as crowded or crazy.

Have a great cruise! It was a beautiful ship & we loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I am sailing on the Breakaway over Christmas. This is my first cruise and we are a young (20s) married couple.

I have no idea what to expect about how crowded ship will be, but I heard it gets crowded. If we wanted to get in the hot tub, is it possible at all? How early (or late) do we need to get there? When are best times?

Can we pay for 1 day at the spa facilities? 1 week is too costly for us.

Thanks!

We just left the Breakaway on Sunday and there was Prime Rib offered three times that I know of ..Tuesday and Friday nights in O'Sheehans and at Savor/Taste on Saturday night. Did not see lobster at all. The Moz Sticks and Chicken Tenders were soooo good at O'sheehans as well as the hot and mild wings! Don't order the Reuben ..horrible!

I'm a newbie on NCL.....have been with Carnival last 10 yrs. My girlfriends want to do a Bermuda cruise and we wanted home port cruising so we decided on Breakaway next May. I'm actually very excited. My husband and I have lots of free perks on Carnival but I'm ready to try a new cruise line. This all actually seems more confusing with the tons of restaurants and shows. Sounds like we will need to make reservations for the comedy and other shows. My question is: It sounds like its very easy to reserve shows and that's great but do you pay extra for any of the shows or are they included in the cruise price. I know the speciality restaurants are an addtl. cost. Thanks!

My question is: It sounds like its very easy to reserve shows and that's great but do you pay extra for any of the shows or are they included in the cruise price. I know the speciality restaurants are an addtl. cost. Thanks!

The only show with an added price is the dinner show Cirque Dreams / Jungle Fantasy. Rock of Ages, Second City, and Burn the Floor are all free but reservations are recommended because of the limited seating.

• 4 weeks later...
We left right on time, but didn't get to Disney until after 2:00. They dropped us off at Ticket and Transportation. We had to get back on the last bus by 7:15. 5 hours is not a lot of time at Disney. We went to Disney Springs - ate a quick lunch, ran through some stores, stopped at the Polynesian Village to look around (it was recently renovated) and then got on the last bus out of there. Some people we spoke to said they went to Magic Kingdom and rode 3 rides. In my opinion, not worth it...

Thank you so much for this. How did you get from Ticket & Transportation to Disney Springs?

I'm thinking a day shopping at Disney will be great for my upcoming solo cruise as I'm flying to Disneyland in January and won't be able to do much shopping/packing stuff for plane. For my February cruise I get dropped off & picked up at NYC pier so can bring home whatever I want & have some birthdays coming up after that to shop for.

We left right on time, but didn't get to Disney until after 2:00. They dropped us off at Ticket and Transportation. We had to get back on the last bus by 7:15. 5 hours is not a lot of time at Disney. We went to Disney Springs - ate a quick lunch, ran through some stores, stopped at the Polynesian Village to look around (it was recently renovated) and then got on the last bus out of there. Some people we spoke to said they went to Magic Kingdom and rode 3 rides. In my opinion, not worth it...

That's funny because we sailed on the Breakaway the week of Dec. 20-27 and the day we arrived in Port Canaveral, the ship did not dock until 2pm. No one was off the boat before 1:30pm. How did anyone get to Orlando "just" after 2pm?

That's funny because we sailed on the Breakaway the week of Dec. 20-27 and the day we arrived in Port Canaveral, the ship did not dock until 2pm. No one was off the boat before 1:30pm. How did anyone get to Orlando "just" after 2pm?

They docked earlier? I've done the Bahamas Florida run from NY and arrived before 1pm.

Are we able to drop our carry ons in our room before lunch or do we have to haul them around with us till the rooms are ready?

We did not have any carry ons but were advised that we could drop off any in our staterooms upon boarding.

Hi. I have a question about the dress code. Are there any formal nights? I have never been on NCL. I have always done Royal Caribbean and there is 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for all the info

No formal nights. It's Freestyle.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Hi. I have a question about the dress code. Are there any formal nights? I have never been on NCL. I have always done Royal Caribbean and there is 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for all the info

There is a "Norwegian's Night Out" where dressing formally is encouraged, but not mandated. On both the seven-day cruises I was on last year it was held on the second night.