Thanksgiving at Sea

jbtyler927

Has anyone been on a Thanksgiving sailing in the past that can report if they have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? I know not everyone will be from the USA on board (and I love that), but the vast majority that sail from the US ports are from the US. I would love to hear first hand experiences if possible, not what you think might happen (but if you can't help but give your opinion I understand too). We are sailing the Escape this Thanksgiving and just curious what to expect. Also, do they decorate for Christmas this early? Might try to get our Christmas card picture taken if they do! TIA :D:D:D

We did a Thanksgiving cruise last year on Epic out of Miami. Yes, there was some sort of traditional dinner that most said was crappy. We ate Moderno that night and skipped the turkey. There is very little fanfare. Basically none of the crew are American, and couldn't care less about this holiday.

Do a search on this forum for Thanksgiving, and you will find loads of answers to this same question.

And no, there weren't any Christmas decorations yet on our cruise (which was Sunday to Sunday.)

About 20 years ago I was on a RC cruise for Thanksgiving. There was a traditional turkey dinner but I can't remember if it was any good. I do remember being amused by all the Christmas decorations in the Bahamas. I'm a northern girl and Christmas in tropical weather blew my mind.

Has anyone been on a Thanksgiving sailing in the past that can report if they have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? I know not everyone will be from the USA on board (and I love that), but the vast majority that sail from the US ports are from the US. I would love to hear first hand experiences if possible, not what you think might happen (but if you can't help but give your opinion I understand too). We are sailing the Escape this Thanksgiving and just curious what to expect. Also, do they decorate for Christmas this early? Might try to get our Christmas card picture taken if they do! TIA :D:D:D

Don't know about NCL and Thanksgiving. However, I was on the Gem in October and ordered the turkey dinner.....YUCK! It was absolutely horrible! The turkey was an oversalted turkey roll and the stuffing was even worse.

I was on The Getaway for Thanksgiving last year, total different experience. There were Thanksgiving decorations everywhere. I had a turkey dinner in one of the main dining rooms complete with green bean casserole. I had more than enough food to eat. Best Thanksgiving I have had in a number of years.

We were on the POA several years ago for Thanksgiving and ordered the traditional turkey dinner in the main dining room. I remember it being delicious and was served with all the trimmings. But, I am not one to complain....I always enjoy my dinner on a cruise ship.

We did a Thanksgiving cruise on the Epic a few years ago. Dinner was in the MDR with a live band, so there was dancing after dinner. Thin slices of processed turkey, chestnut stuffing (my hubby was like WTH!) and some baby carrots.; it was abysmal. Service was great and it was festive, but we vowed to eat elsewhere for this Thanksgiving sailing on the Escape based on out last experience.

I would say, if you have to have some type of Thanksgiving meal, plan to have a small dinner on Sunday after you get home, if you aren't staying in Miami once you get off the ship.

Last year we were on RCI Liberty and had the traditional turkey dinner on thanksgiving. It was actually really really good and we're hoping they do the same on the Escape!!! Also, yes the Christmas decorations were up (big tree in the promenade and decorations all around) and made for some great pics with the kids. All lines/ships are different though so I guess we'll see in a few days!!