To switch or not to switch? Need help deciding

Cruzn Fool

A few month ago I booked DW and I a balcony on Liberty for next December. We got it for a good price and we have been on it before so we know what to expect.

We are not excited about the changes that will be happening to Liberty in dry dock, and are least excited about losing the mini-golf and golf simulator. They are both something that we would use multiple times during the cruise and won't use the waterslides at all.

I know this is a minor thing and we are the type of people that enjoy the whole experience so we'll have a great cruise no matter what.

But, since we have plenty of time I thought I would explore other ship options. In doing so, I have come to an impasse on what to choose.

So I thought I would see what other thought and see if any of that pushes me towards one of the options. Feel free to weigh in if you would like, just thought it would be a fun Friday topic.

Options are:

Oasis

Cons- It is about $500 more in total-and that is most, if not all, of what our flights would cost- so this is significant.

Longer flight (East Coast vs Texas) (not sure of flight cost difference but likely not much)

Pros- Love, love the ship

Itinerary is much better for us

Freedom

Cons- Only 6 nights instead of 7 for about same price as Liberty cruise

Would give up Falmouth for Costa Maya

Pros- Have been on Freedom and love this ship as well (was what we thought Liberty would be when we originally booked this cruise)

Extra night we are losing can be spent in Ft. Lauderdale, which we enjoy

Keep current Liberty Cruise

Pros- Cost per night price is the best of the three

Better ports for us than Freedom itinerary

Half the distance to fly in/out of from Northern CA.

Cons- Dry dock upgrades not exciting- might affect overall enjoyment slightly

Anyway, thanks for weighing in!

This is just my personal 2 cents ...... I would hate to give up the extra night on the ship but I certainly would like Costa Maya much better than Falmouth! I also like Ft. Lauderdale , So with that I'd pick the Freedom!

All that said we live in Texas and don't have to fly to sail the Liberty .... So We are doing the Liberty to save airfare.

It would be a tough decision for me.

While I think Liberty is the better deal, I very much dislike flying to cruises out of Galveston. The transfer/hotel situation makes it more expensive and less convenient than flying to either FLL or MCO. Flying to Galveston would be a very large "Con" on my balance sheet.

I think you should look into the transfer/hotel costs compared to Oasis. You may find that the difference is less than $500 when you consider those costs. Plus, you are likely to be much warmer in South Florida than Galveston in December, so there is less potential to waste a day on the front and back end being cool.

Edited by clarea

Bear in mind that in a year's time, Freedom could also lose the mini golf and get the waterpark.

I wouldn't give up the cruise day either. Only you know if mini golf and simulator is really that important to your overall cruise experience.

Good point about the possibility of Freedom also getting the water park. A lot could happen in a year.

If it were much closer to cruise time and we already had flights, hotels, etc then the golf thing wouldn't really matter much at all, definitely not enough to switch. Just because we had time I thought it would be worth exploring other options. What the heck else am I going to do for another year!

It would be a tough decision for me.

While I think Liberty is the better deal, I very much dislike flying to cruises out of Galveston. The transfer/hotel situation makes it more expensive and less convenient than flying to either FLL or MCO. Flying to Galveston would be a very large "Con" on my balance sheet.

I think you should look into the transfer/hotel costs compared to Oasis. You may find that the difference is less than $500 when you consider those costs. Plus, you are likely to be much warmer in South Florida than Galveston in December, so there is less potential to waste a day on the front and back end being cool.

Good points. I did have one cruise out of Galveston and it wasn't all that bad. We rented a car both ways from Houston and got a great hotel there as well. I have also had good luck going out of Ft. Lauderdale and Canaveral.

The weather in/out is a much bigger thing that I hadn't considered. We are pool and warm weather people so that may be a bigger thing to consider than even the changes to the ship.

And the more I read the Oasis reviews, the more I remember how much I really want to get back on it.

Thanks.

Good points. I did have one cruise out of Galveston and it wasn't all that bad. We rented a car both ways from Houston....

Perhaps your situation was different than when we sailed, or you didn't sail and return on a Sunday, but I could not find a rental car place open on the island on Sunday that would take one-way rentals. I do know that some people rent a car for a week and park it at the terminal, but that's got to be pricey.

Edited by clarea

Perhaps your situation was different than when we sailed, or you didn't sail and return on a Sunday, but I could not find a rental car place open on the island on Sunday that would take one-way rentals. I do know that some people rent a car for a week and park it at the terminal, but that's got to be pricey.

Still NO car rentals open on Sunday in Galveston! I think there is an Express Shuttle Service from the Airports to Galveston but I've heard good & bad!

If the changes being made on Liberty aren't deal breakers for you, I would stick with Liberty. Freedom is a shorter cruise by a day for the same price. If I was willing to pay more per day, I'd switch to Oasis since you say:

Pros- Love, love the ship

Itinerary is much better for us

Let us know what you ultimately choose.

I'd say do not switch.

Perhaps there will be something good in the dry dock changes that balances out the losses.

Regardless, it's not your last cruise and I can't imagine you won't enjoy just because you can't play mini-golf.