Paris to Rome Overnight Train

I'm planning on sailing on the Golden Princess European Explorer itinerary next summer. We are considering flying into Paris prior to the cruise and then traveling via overnight train to Rome next summer. Does anyone have any past experiences on such a trip? Thanks in advance.

KG in Tennessee

We took that overnighter...it's probably been 10 years ago, though. Here's a fairly good overview of the essentials: http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

It's convenient, an adventure if you've never overnighted on a train, not the most comfortable accommodations (you will want a private sleeping compartment...think "Honey I Shrunk the Dorm Room," bunk beds, toilet down the hall, sink bathing, some people like/don't like the train rocking movement and noise), nice scenery going through Italy in the morning (you'll sleep through the French countryside). We like training and have fond memories of that trip!

There is a slight risk that a train strike could foil your plans. (In fact, on that trip, our departure from Paris was delayed two days by rail strike.) For that reason, I would not plan this overnight to put you in Rome the day your ship leaves...I would schedule arrival at least one day in advance. Also, I would research and carry the info for a Plan B, if necessary. There will be plenty of major air carriers linking the two cities...but at a fairly dear price. I did a very quick and dirty cross-check of Euro discount airlines doing that route, as they are often less costly and quicker than trains...it appears the only one is Ryanair from outlying Beauvais airport (Paris) to Rome's Ciampino. You can utilize bus shuttles to link both to the city centres. We've flown Ryanair before without incident, but it's also known for occasional flight delays/cancellations. Also, it has strict luggage limits--sometimes difficult for cruisers.

Good luck figuring out your connections!

Archived