Car seat in an airplane

jnjrad

Hello!

Does anyone have experience using a car seat on an airplane? How do you prove that it is FAA approved. We cannot find the sticker on the carseat. We think it came off when we cleaned it a few months ago. It is a Britax Marathon. I know it is approved for FAA travel, but I have nothing that says that it is. The Britax website tells you to refer to the sticker. Any ideas?? We are flying out of Ohare on December 31st for our cruise on the Conquest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there

Just from our experience....

If you have not purchased a seat for the child (which only happens when they are under 2 yrs old) tell the agent where you check in that you want to "gate check" the car seat. Otherwise they will check your car seat, and you won't see it again untill you see your suit case.

When you get to the gate, approach the attendants there, and ask if it is possible to have your child in their own seat. If the flight is not full, there is a possibility that you can have your child in their car seat in their own seat, at no additional cost. Do not ask this where you check your suitcase in, that attendants job is to sell you a seat.

If there are not additional seats available, the car seat will be checked at the airplane door, and it will be waiting for you as soon as you get out of the airplane door at your destination.

We have never had anyone ask us about FAA approval for the seat itself. We had tried getting our booster seats on once, but they were not allowed as they were the "high back" style that require a shoulder belt.

Hope that helps!

CK

When we've flown, we just walk the car seat up with us to the gate and when they ask if it FAA approved- we just say yes. And Well that's it. Never had any problems. Never had to prove it is. :rolleyes:

I think the steward(ess) like seeing kids in the car seats because little ones are kept put and tend to fall asleep. After all, if your child is used to riding in a car seat- it's just easier for them. We also buy a ticket for our kids (under 2) to insure a seat for the car seat.

I've been flying with children for a long time and never had a problem with the car seat issue.

If you would use a car seat in a car, then I would use one on a plane. You don't back out of the driveway w/out one, why would you on a plane?

I think that flying in an airplane and driving in a car is a bit like apples and oranges. I think if your child is more comfortable sitting higher in his/her car seat and you don't mind lugging it...then take it. As far as safety- as long as the child is buckled in, thats about all you can do....especially in a plane crash. Its not like your plane is going to be rear ended, KWIM?

Thanks for all the great feedback! We did find the manual and it states clearly that the carseat is FAA approved. I know of people who had to run their carseat all the way back to the car b/c they couldn't prove that it was FAA approved. As far as...to put my DD in a carseat on airplane or not...We started out thinking "no" but, then realized that she will be far more comfortable (as will the rest of the passengers) if she is in a familiar seat that she normally falls asleep in. We bought the ticket and decided it was for the best interest of all involved. I think it is a personal decision to use a car seat in the plane or not.

Again...thanks for all the great ideas! Happy Cruising!

I think that flying in an airplane and driving in a car is a bit like apples and oranges. I think if your child is more comfortable sitting higher in his/her car seat and you don't mind lugging it...then take it. As far as safety- as long as the child is buckled in, thats about all you can do....especially in a plane crash. Its not like your plane is going to be rear ended, KWIM?

2boysmommy,

I have been rear ended in a car, experienced heavy turbulence and bad landings in an airplane. You wouldn't be comparing them like apples and oranges if you had been through all. A seat belt can hurt internal organs on a plane just like in a car.

It not a matter of not minding lugging the car seat, its a matter of my daughters safety.

There are many more runway accidents than plane crashes - yes your plane can get rear ended, side-swiped, landing gear not come down...KWIM?

Archived