Snorkeling from beach

Jey01

We are cruising in January (just DH and myself) and I keep going back and forth with my "research" trying to decide what beach to go to. Im looking at Blue Bay bc its the closest, but it looks as if snorkeling is better at Cas Abou or Porto Marie….Lagun looks like the best snorkel wise but its so far away (we are going to take a taxi). Anyone have any suggestions/preferences? We've never been to curaçao before and there isn't a ton of info on here. My priority is snorkeling from the beach, somewhat calm water, and drinks/restrooms are always a plus :) I just "can't decide!" Plus I've read some taxi drivers don't want to drive "all the way" to the western beaches. Hoping to find someone at the taxi stand to share a cab with (once we figure out where we are going!)

I wanted to go to Porto Marie, but as mentioned, the taxi driver didn't want to go there. He kept pushing Blue Bay. We even waited awhile hoping someone else would want to share a ride and go to Porto Marie, but noone did. So we ended up going to Blue Bay. I'm an avid snorkeler and thought I'd be really disappointed, but we actually had a great time! There's a shallow "bay" around the point to the left (looking at the beach) and there are a ton of fish in there. There were also a lot of fish around the point to the right, but it was deeper there. If you'd like to see some of the pictures from there, check out my blog and Curacao was our last port so skim down to it if that's all you're interested in.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2015/05/2015-april-17-may-1-southern-caribbean.html

The snorkeling is good at Cas Abou - better than at Blue Bay and the Marriott IMO. We have spent 2 vacations in Curacao and also had 1 cruise port there. The best snorkeling that we experienced this past September was at Klein Knip which is further west.

We are fortunate to be in port in September 2016 from 9 am to 11 pm and will be renting a car and heading to the Klein Knip and possibly Cas Abou.

I wanted to go to Porto Marie, but as mentioned, the taxi driver didn't want to go there. He kept pushing Blue Bay. We even waited awhile hoping someone else would want to share a ride and go to Porto Marie, but noone did. So we ended up going to Blue Bay. I'm an avid snorkeler and thought I'd be really disappointed, but we actually had a great time! There's a shallow "bay" around the point to the left (looking at the beach) and there are a ton of fish in there. There were also a lot of fish around the point to the right, but it was deeper there. If you'd like to see some of the pictures from there, check out my blog and Curacao was our last port so skim down to it if that's all you're interested in.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2015/05/2015-april-17-may-1-southern-caribbean.html

Great photos, love l snorkeling.

I love Porto Mari. It was our favorite stop on the west side Irie toor we took in 2014. As soon as I booked the Liberty Repo, I decided I wanted to go back for the whole day. Have read issues getting a cab, I arranged for a driver in advance. About two weeks before our cruise someone (empressofpurple) contacted me on the rollcall they wanted to go to Porto Mari and we shared a cab.

Let me know if you have any questions.

She did a live thread that has a detailed review - our day

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48231946#post48231946

After the cruise she posed some of hers and my BFFs picture on this post plus 1 above and 1 below

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48387324#post48387324

I booked the cab through Natasja Gibbs of Dushi Taxi. Our driver was great - her name was Sulainy. Service was excellent (Sulainy was waiting when we got off the ship and was very prompt for our return trip)

Edited by vavasmom

I'm sorry but we found someone and have booked a ride already! We did use Natasha Gibbs. Looked her up on TA and sent them an email. It's going to be great

Jey01,

Did you decide on Porto Mari? If so, how much is the quoted fare from Natasha?

Thanks, Paul

We did decide on Porto Marie, and it's $100 round trip for 4 passengers. It's extra for more after that but I'm not sure how much. I'm ready to go today!

Thanks, Jey01. Compared to what I have been reading, that appears to be a good price.

Have fun! I will search for her contact information.

Safe Journeys. Paul

We are only there from 8-4pm, but still plenty of time. I just kept going between cas abou and Porto Marie. And now maybe blue bay

Cas Abou is very nice beach, but not worth an hour drive each way. Because of your short stay only 8-4 I would just take a cab to pirate bay. You can rent a chair and they have full bar there. It's right next door to Marriott.

Edited by ODECCIT

Another option for a different experience which can be done on a budget is snorkeling the Tugboat. Not sure what the cost of a cab would be since we took the 6A bus. The site is located in Caracasbai--from the Caracasbai roundabout (closest bus stop), you go southeast and find your way to the end of the road--less than a mile--stay as close to the water as you can, pass Pop's place, a crazy huge apparatus (apparently it is for laying cable), around Ft. Beekenberg, and past a church that looks like it was once a restaurant or dive shop. There is a pretty basic dive shop where you can get drinks and rent chairs or snorkel gear and get directions to the tugboat. The proprietor looks a bit like Richard Branson fallen on hard times. The snorkeling is pretty decent, the swim easy, and the tugboat is in pretty shallow water--the top is only a few feet below the surface. Before you reach the end of the line, there are other places you could snorkel which we didn't try and the Fort was interesting for a brief stop and great view from the tower.

If you are not adventurous, a cab might be wise. We did have to wait a little while for the bus going and coming back we ended up catching a ride with one of the unofficial vans. That was an adventure in itself. Traffic was bad on the way back so we were glad we did not stay too long.

1847842939_DSCN72061.jpg.6c7220815378c2db77897c7dbc25a9ac.jpg