Christmas Cruising on the Breakaway

jojo412

Hi all,

Excited for our Christmas cruise in a few weeks on the Breakaway! Would appreciate any input on the following questions:

1) I've read that the Dress up or Not nights have been replaced by Norwegian Night Out. What percentage of people dress up this night? For those that do, is it just dressy or more formal (suits, gowns, etc)? Would the chances of more people dressing up be higher for this particular cruise being that it is a Christmas cruise?

2) will there be any special Christmas activities, and if so what are they?

3) If there ARE special Christmas activites, will that most likely change a lot of the performances? I've pre-booked shows and dinners but heard that schedule may change due to the holiday

4) Does Santa give out free gifts to kids, and what is the age restriction? (They do this on RCCL Christmas cruises).

5) Are children allowed to attend the Glow Parties? I've seen some youtube vids where I see some really young children dancing along. I'm travelling with 12, 14 and 17 year olds...will they allowed in for the Glow Party?

6) Will there be any kind of religious service on Christmas? Last year on RCCL, they had a Catholic mass in the main theater.

Thanks so much in advance!!

My husband and I have been on four NCL Christmas cruises, this year we will be on the the New Years Cruise. I will try to answer your questions, but I do not have kids, so I am sure other people can weigh in on your specific questions. There were always quite a few people who got dressed up on the Christmas cruise, however there are just as many who don't , so you will fit in no matter what you choose. The staff really seem to enjoy this holiday season, as they wear santa hats and get dressed up as well. Santa is dressed and roaming the ship. Some cruises, he has been in the entrance when we get onto the ship so you can take a photo, other cruises I have been on, he is on Great Stirrup Cay. Santa does give out gifts to the children but I do not know what the ages are. There are activities, such as a sing a long on Christmas eve, but I don't think that it will interfere much with other planned events. I think you will have a great time, the ship is decorated beautifully, and Christmas music is played throughout the ship.

Hi all,

Excited for our Christmas cruise in a few weeks on the Breakaway! Would appreciate any input on the following questions:

1) I've read that the Dress up or Not nights have been replaced by Norwegian Night Out. What percentage of people dress up this night? For those that do, is it just dressy or more formal (suits, gowns, etc)? Would the chances of more people dressing up be higher for this particular cruise being that it is a Christmas cruise?

3) If there ARE special Christmas activites, will that most likely change a lot of the performances? I've pre-booked shows and dinners but heard that schedule may change due to the holiday

4) Does Santa give out free gifts to kids, and what is the age restriction? (They do this on RCCL Christmas cruises).

5) Are children allowed to attend the Glow Parties? I've seen some youtube vids where I see some really young children dancing along. I'm travelling with 12, 14 and 17 year olds...will they allowed in for the Glow Party?

6) Will there be any kind of religious service on Christmas? Last year on RCCL, they had a Catholic mass in the main theater.

We will be on the Pearl (Panama Canal) over Xmas. Our first cruise over the holidays. Looking forward to hearing some of those answers! We were going to dress up for Xmas. Did hear that young kids (not sure the age) were given a gift but not 100% sure.

The ship will be decorated for Christmas. The decorations will probably be down after New Year's. We sailed one year on Christmas Day and it was a New Year's cruise - the vibe was completely different than a Christmas cruise.

I don't think Christmas changes how people dress - I will say that a lot of people dress up on Norwegian's Night Out because the photographers are out in force, and there are usually photos with the Captain.bSince a lot of families cruise at Christmas, there are a lot of family portraits being taken.

There has always been caroling on Christmas Eve - but it can be very popular, so get there early, because the atrium is not that large. It's usually about 6pm, as I recall, so it doesn't really interfere with the night's activities.

I've never had youngsters with me, so not sure about Santa.

I'm not sure about age limits on the Glow Party, since we usually skip it.

There have been services on some of the cruises but it usually depends on having a priest or minister onboard who offers to do it. It's not scheduled otherwise.

Merry Christmas at sea! My favorite White Christmas is a sandy beach.

Edited by xriva

We will be on the Breakaway 1/3. Do you think it will still be decorated for Christmas or will they have taken down the decorations by then? Hoping it will still be festive!

I was on the BA last jan 4 and unfortunately not a sign of Christmas was left

However since the Christmas season doesn't end until January 6 some of the islands were still decorated even beyond that date

San Juan was still in the midst of 3 kings day activities and st Martin still had a huge tree decorated in the port. Barbados I think too had stuff up

Of course it's not the same as a snowy winter Christmas up north. Lol Carib Xmas decorating is loud and colorful in Carib colors and tones. Not the New England Xmas card that's for sure!!

I was on the BA last jan 4 and unfortunately not a sign of Christmas was left

However since the Christmas season doesn't end until January 6 some of the islands were still decorated even beyond that date

San Juan was still in the midst of 3 kings day activities and st Martin still had a huge tree decorated in the port. Barbados I think too had stuff up

Of course it's not the same as a snowy winter Christmas up north. Lol Carib Xmas decorating is loud and colorful in Carib colors and tones. Not the New England Xmas card that's for sure!!

Thanks so much! Looking forward to enjoying seeing the island xmas decorations.

• 4 weeks later...

Following! We just booked for Christmas 2016 on the breakaway,very interested in these answers. We will have our 5 year old with us, in a forward facing suite. Santa Christmas morning is going to be interesting and a challenge but so much fun.

Hi all,

I just realized you already went! How was it? We are taking out 5 year old and will be on board at sea on Christmas day.