Alternative to Breakaway?

redbaron70

We sailed on the Breakaway in November and are now looking for our next cruise. We liked the food and the amenities for our teenagers on the Breakaway, but the ship felt too crowded. Any suggestions for a slightly smaller or less crowded ship, NCL or other? Our travel agent suggested the Freedom class on Royal Caribbean, but we've been on Royal Caribbean twice and have some reservations about booking with them again. Thank you for any input!

think it depends on where you want to go and what departure port

The Getaway is nice, very similar to the Breakaway I think, but you will have about the same amount of passengers

I've sailed the Jewel and thought it was great as well - they have O Sheehans, Teppanyaki, Cagneys, Moderno, LeBistro, most of what the Breakaway has, less passengers, the shows were decent

Food is the same fleetwide on all NCL (the only exception when they are testing or rolling out the new menus). A very good and smaller alternative would be Gem (also sailing from NYC), last of NCL's traditional ships built before the new megaships.

Personally I like Jewel class ships (like Gem) very much.

Edited by Demonyte

Food is the same fleetwide on all NCL (the only exception when they are testing or rolling out the new menus). A very good and smaller alternative would be Gem (also sailing from NYC), last of NCL's traditional ships built before the new megaships.

^This. I've been on the BA twice and also on the Dawn and the Gem. I truly like the smaller ships better mostly because the crowding issue and the huge difference in what I perceived as personalized service.

No more mega ships for me! Whatever you decide, cruise happy!:)

^This. I've been on the BA twice and also on the Dawn and the Gem. I truly like the smaller ships better mostly because the crowding issue and the huge difference in what I perceived as personalized service.

No more mega ships for me! Whatever you decide, cruise happy!:)

We sailed on the Breakaway in November and are now looking for our next cruise. We liked the food and the amenities for our teenagers on the Breakaway, but the ship felt too crowded. Any suggestions for a slightly smaller or less crowded ship, NCL or other? Our travel agent suggested the Freedom class on Royal Caribbean, but we've been on Royal Caribbean twice and have some reservations about booking with them again. Thank you for any input!

I have sailed the Breakaway 4 times now and the only time I found it crowded was Nov 22, Thanksgiving cruise. Normally we cruise when school is in session, the ships are a lot less crowded. If your sailing with kids or teenagers when school is out I think you will find most ships crowded.

How about the allure or oasis. Tons to do and we found it too big to be crowded.

How about the allure or oasis. Tons to do and we found it too big to be crowded.

I concur with Oasis or Allure - I feel like the design of the ship makes it never feel crowded - only time we witnessed crowds were going in and out of the buffet, due to only ONE side of the door being open and right after shows, which is hard to eliminate, but otherwise, a GREAT ship and experience