RCCL vs Princess

GucciGal

I have been on two RCCL cruises with my fiance the last two years. I have also been on Celebrity,Cunard,and Radisson with my family. I have two cruises booked with RCCL for September 2006. I have had no complaints with them,but due to fiance's work schedule,we are limited to when we could cruise and I am not really happy about the cruises RCCL offers at the times we are able to travel. I have looked into NCL,but don't think they are for me.

There were a couple Princess cruises I am interested in. If someone could give me any info on RCCL vs Princess I would be very appreciative.

The main things we are interested in are the dempographics,(we are late twenties,early 30's) We are not stuffy,but not party aninamls either.

Any info anyone would be able to give me wuld be great!!

GucciGal,

If you enjoy RCCL, for sure you will enjoy Princess.

You did not mention the cruises you were looking into.

Every cruise can vary in the age range. The longer the cruise, often the older the passenger.

Princess offers a wide variety of activities & entertainment venues.

The food & service are excellent.

Good Luck with your decision :) Happy Cruising :)

I second that you would be very happy with Princess. I thought I would never

leave Princess, but due to demographics and time restraints I cruised RCCL on the Voyager to Bermuda and found the lines to be very very similiar and now will look at both cruise lines for itininary and price and what is available for my time when planning a cruise like you are. I think Princess is more classier than RCCL. I agree I don't think NCL is for me either. I would love to try Radisson.:D

Thanks for your help.....I loved RCCL,but the only cruise that is sailing the weeks we can go is not really that exciting to me.

We want at least a 9 night cruise,and I believe there are a few out of NY that will fit our schedule.

Are there a lot of activities on Princess? Are there pretty much the same type shows and number of bars as RCCL?

Thanks again for your help...I asked questions on the NCL forum when I was thinking of trying that line and I got a lot of rude responses.

Been on 2 RCCL and 2 Princess. I'm not clamining to have the cruising experience that many on this board have, but I found the 2 lines to be very similair. For a caribbean route, we found demographics to be similair. I think the passenger ages varies more when and how long the cruise is.

I'd go with the cruise that fits into your schedule best. If you enjoyed RCCL I think you'll be very pleased with Princess.

GucciGal,

I agree with the other posters. We have cruised both and found them very similar in demographics. We loved them both. We are much older than you, however, discribe ourselves as you did - not stuffy and not party animals.

You will enjoy Princess as well as you did RCCL. Have a great cruise.

GucciGal,

I think you have made a good choice. I often tell my clients that RCCL and Princess are similar, but Princess is a slight step up in regards to food and atmosphere. It's just a little classier.

I have been on both the Voyager class ship (like you) and a Grand class ship (like the Crown) and think they are comparable. Although you will give up some of the grandeur that is a Voyager class ship (ie, Promenade, Rock Wall, massive atrium) you will gain a little more class and less of a feeling of huge crowds. To me, that is the biggest plus of Princess. I can always find a quiet place and rarely ever see large crowds (like at a parade on the Promenade).

The food is similar, the age of the guests is similar although you will probably find more families with younger children on RCCL, but that will also depend on when you are cruising. But do keep in mind that on a 9-night, like you said you are considering, there will be an older crowd in general unless it is during a summer holiday.

The shows/entertainment will be similar as well.

Ask your TA to compare the two for you and see what she says. But it will probably be pretty similar.

HTH,

Jenn

We have been on 2 RC cruises and 1 Princess and I think they are similar. Interesting that people on this thread think Princess is slightly

classier and yet RC offers towels at the pool and their balcony furniture is nicer. On the other hand, we loved the fact that the buffet/cafe on Princess

is open after 9:30 p.m. for a late cup of coffee and dessert, which is frustratingly not an option on RC. For some reason, our teens think RC is cooler -- I think this

is from TV advertising -- but they have found just as many friends on Princess.

Our family is signed up for the Golden Princess/July 31 2006 Western Europe/British Isles 10-day cruise -- the itinerary sounded wonderful and we have already been to the Mediterranean twice... time to do something different without forsaking Europe. Hope there may be some 14 and 19 year olds on this cruise. Anyone out there?

Thanks...do you know if there will be a champagne bar and or martini bar on the Crown Princess?

We are either doing a 9 night out of new York on the Crown,juse deciding in Eastern or Western Route.

The one thing I didn't like on RCCL was after dinner later in the eves,the only food options were pastries and desserts ansd little sammys from the promenade,unless it was a midnight buffet night. Not that I am a pig,but after a few drinks,I like to have a snack of some sort.

I want a balconey cabin,or suite,as that is what we always get,any recommendations on which deck?

We take our first Princess cruise next month on Sapphire, after 5 RCCL cruises, 4 Carnival, 1 Disney and 1 NCL (Yuck!). I will give you my impressions after we return. We are big RCCL fans (booked for Freedom next year) but we are really excited about Sapphire Princess, especially since I got a very positive review from an acquaintance of mine who just got off the ship this past weekend.

I had thoughts of booking on NCL,but the rudeness of the people on the boards and other things I have heard turned me off....

I love RCCL,just want to get a taste of what else is out there. I am booked for the FReedom in 2007,and can't wait.

GucciGal...I sailed on the Voyager this past June, had an amazing time, I had all the questions you had about comparing Princess, glad to hear all the possitive feedback, I'm booked on the 6-23 Crown! BTW...I did NCL Dawn & it doesn't hold a candle to Celebrity or RCI...IMO there is no such thing as a bad cruise, just some better than others, but I can say the crew on the VOS were so friendly, NCL's were not friendly period!! I love an upbeat staff!

Susan

I've been on both lines too, although not a Voyager class ship on RCL; we were on Grandeur and Enchantment. One thing that we like on Princess is that the refrigerator is empty (except for your ice bucket) and we sometimes skip dessert at dinner or just have one of the sorbets. Then we go to the buffet (always open!) to pick up desserts to stash away in our fridge for a late night treat! Also the pools and hot tubs are usually open most of the night and are fresh water. Hot tub under the stars...

Princess fits us best but it doesn't have some of the structural wonders of RCL. After 2 cruises on RCL we were a bit disappointed the first time we boarded a Princess ship. The atrium is nice, but even on the original Grandeur the atrium was quite striking. On Princess we've found the decor subtle but still stunning in its own way.

I think we're going to have to try RCL again at some point but for now we really love our Princess cruises!

I saw that a couple of people had issues with NCL. I've cruised Princess and Costa and I am considering an NCL cruise with my extended family (mainly because of price). How does NCL compare to Princess? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

GucciGal,

I do think you will be happy trying Princess.

Have not been on RCCL since 1990. And cruising only with Princess since 1996.

But, I do think you will find similarities.

Princess does have a Martini Bar. Usually located midship deck 7.

The name of the bar varies ship to ship.

Hi all

My two cents - My wife and I have cruised both RIC and Princess. While RCI was really great it is our feelings that Princess it just a little bit of a step up in class. But I would not think a second to do another RCI, we had a wonderful time. We took the kids on the RCI. We are leaving on the Star Princess in 8 days. I wish Princess had the grand class ships on 10 and 14 day cruises. We took a 10 day last year on the Dawn princess and had a fantastic time with my in laws.(Their 1st cruise) They are hooked and are going this time too. We have a group of 8 this time. I have nothing bad to say about RCI. It just seems that Princess is the place to be for us!

Randy

It's always been interesting to me that you can get a thousand different opinions on the same cruise, but the truth is that every person is looking at the same thing through different eyes. ;) And so, it's my turn to give you the view from my eyes! I truly love cruising and am so glad that I finally convinced my DH to try it...He is hooked now! :D We have tried several cruise lines and have found a lot of similarity in entertainment and other areas, but small differences from ship to ship. Some have complained about Carnival, but we loved Carnival! (the food on the Conquest was as wonderful, if not better than on the Celebrity Galaxy!) As for NCL, we loved it, too. The NCL ship we sailed on was not gorgeous. In fact, when we first got onboard, my DH and I looked at each other and wondered what we were thinking when we booked this cruise! :eek: My DH often refers to it as "the old rust bucket"...However, he and I had a fantastic time due to a super friendly crew and good food and wonderful ports of call. Our Celebrity experience was filled with the best service yet and an incredibly helpful and friendly crew. Late night food choices (other than room service) were limited though. And now, for our Royal Caribbean experience, it was also good. The ship was pretty, the entertainment was the best we have experienced in our six cruises, and the food was good. However, the crew on that particular cruise was very stand-offish. :cool: I can't say if that is normal, but it was true on that cruise. Our room was always well kept and we had no complaints about the service in general--other than not as talkative and friendly of a crew. I suppose I have rambled, but my award for best food goes to Carnival Conquest and Celebrity Galaxy. Best service hands down goes to Celebrity Galaxy. And best entertainment goes to Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas. As for best ports of call, we loved the Norwegian Sea ports and our Celebrity Galaxy ports. And now, we, too, are eagerly anticipating trying Princess as we set sail on the Grand Princess on December 10th!!!! Have fun on whatever cruise and ship you choose!!!!!!!

Is there any GLARING differences between Carnival and Princess? We have done 4 Carnival cruises mainly b/c of the ports and timing, but are now going on our first Princess cruise in January.

Now, I could care less about the "class" of people on board or how the food tastes, etc...but what about entertainment? Do they also have activities going on during the day and shows at night? Im guessing that's a yes. Just wondering what I should expect...or should I just expect the same basic thing in regards to policies? Such as, you have to pay for sodas, room service is still free, they have a midnight buffet, they'll have some comedians, las vegas style shows, and other fun stuff at night. They will have Calypso music by the pool during the day!!? (I hope so, that's my favorite part :) )

Any help would be great! I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind some additional info like this too.

Is there any GLARING differences between Carnival and Princess? We have done 4 Carnival cruises mainly b/c of the ports and timing, but are now going on our first Princess cruise in January.

Now, I could care less about the "class" of people on board or how the food tastes, etc...but what about entertainment? Do they also have activities going on during the day and shows at night? Im guessing that's a yes. Just wondering what I should expect...or should I just expect the same basic thing in regards to policies? Such as, you have to pay for sodas, room service is still free, they have a midnight buffet, they'll have some comedians, las vegas style shows, and other fun stuff at night. They will have Calypso music by the pool during the day!!? (I hope so, that's my favorite part :) )

Any help would be great! I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind some additional info like this too.

We haven't done Carnival, but everyone we talk to said "don't do Carnival".

Princess does have terrific entertainment in the Princess Theatre, comedian's in the lounges, dancing, terrific bands....the list goes on. Music by the pools all day, Princess even has an Adult only pool with bar for those times when you just want to relax and hear the ocean.....great!

You do pay for sodas or get a soda card for about $25, room services is free, no midnight buffet - but Horizon Court is open 24/7 - this is a great buffet with every kind of food imaginable.

We absolutely love Princess cruise lines.

Have a great time.

cruise fairy: "We haven't done Carnival, but everyone we talk to said "don't do Carnival". "

Most times such comments about other cruise lines are not based on direct experience (or recent experience). Usually these come from 2nd or 3rd hand stories that get embellished as they get passed along and grow from a single bad experience.

I have cruised on all the mainstream cruise lines and they are much more similar than they are different. Princess is a very good line, but I can assure you that Carnival is fine too.

cruise fairy: "We haven't done Carnival, but everyone we talk to said "don't do Carnival". "

Most times such comments about other cruise lines are not based on direct experience (or recent experience). Usually these come from 2nd or 3rd hand stories that get embellished as they get passed along and grow from a single bad experience.

I have cruised on all the mainstream cruise lines and they are much more similar than they are different. Princess is a very good line, but I can assure you that Carnival is fine too.

Yes, I agree...I love Carnival. Don't knock it until you try it... I also have heard bad things about Princess NUMEROUS times...but it's not stopping me from trying it.

Although I'm hearing great things in comparison on RCI & Princess, it seems a few people have said when they walk on Princess (after sailing RCI) by the look of the ship they look at each other. I will be on the Crown, I'm hoping it will be beautiful since it's new. Although I'm not about bling-bling...I do like my ships glamourous!!

I'm taking a group in March on the Caribbean Princess and have a couple of questions in comparison to RCCL.

Rcl lets us board @ 11:00. What is the Princess boarding time?

Are there food venues open at boarding?

How is the coffee?

Do they provide towels for excursions?

Thanks

Archived