Alaska on the Westerdam

Ali

We have a July 16 cruise planned for 2006 on the Westerdam. This will be our first Alaska cruise and the first time on the Westerdam. Also, we haven't cruised HAL in several years and I know things have changed (Signature of Excellence, ship upgrades, etc.). Any comments about HAL's changes in general and the Westerdam in particular would be appreciated. Our last cruise was on the Maasdam and I know the Westerdam is bigger. What are the pros and cons of a bigger ship?

We have booked suites so we can sit on the balcony and view the scenery. Family members feel the suites should be on the Port side so we can see everything. I say it doesn't make a difference because if you don't catch it on the way up, you'll see it on the way back (Alaskan Explorer via Hubbard Glacier). But, as I said, this is my first Alaska cruise and I could be wrong. Is one side of the ship better than the other for viewing purposes?

Our suites are across from the Neptune Lounge. Will there be a noise problem? Is there a lot of activity in the Lounge? Is it available 24/7?

Any assistance with any of these questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!!!

Ali

We have booked suites so we can sit on the balcony and view the scenery. Family members feel the suites should be on the Port side so we can see everything. I say it doesn't make a difference because if you don't catch it on the way up, you'll see it on the way back (Alaskan Explorer via Hubbard Glacier). But, as I said, this is my first Alaska cruise and I could be wrong. Is one side of the ship better than the other for viewing purposes?

Thanks, everyone!!!

Ali

The side of the ship you are on does not matter in Alaska. You will be sailing the inside passage and will have land and scenery on both sides of the ship. The only time it might make a difference would be in port. At that time it would make a difference as to you looking over the town or facing the water and looking at scenery on the otherside. Kechikan, Juenau, Skagway, and Sitka to name a few have scenery on both sides of the ship when docked. :)

Another question, please. Can the divider between balconies be opened or removed to allow movement between cabins from the outside instead of having to trot down the hall to the next cabin? I'm not a pretty sight in the mornings and I would prefer not to shock my cruise-mates when I have to dash next door.

We have a July 16 cruise planned for 2006 on the Westerdam. This will be our first Alaska cruise and the first time on the Westerdam. Also, we haven't cruised HAL in several years and I know things have changed (Signature of Excellence, ship upgrades, etc.). Any comments about HAL's changes in general and the Westerdam in particular would be appreciated. Our last cruise was on the Maasdam and I know the Westerdam is bigger. What are the pros and cons of a bigger ship?

Our suites are across from the Neptune Lounge. Will there be a noise problem? Is there a lot of activity in the Lounge? Is it available 24/7?

Any assistance with any of these questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!!!

Ali

Hi Ali, We are going on the Westerdam on August 6, 2006 Alaska Explorer. We have a SA cabin across from the Neptune Lounge but not directly in front of the door. I chose this cabin on purpose so we are close enough but don't have to hear any noise of people coming in and out. I love having good coffee in the morning in my balcony. Have you planned any excursions yet? This will be our first time in Alaska and I've been trying to educate myself a little bit with the area. Also our first time with HAL.

Titissa - this will be our second Holland America cruise but our first on a Vista-class ship. Our first HAL cruise was on the Maasdam and we were instantly hooked. The Westerdam is a slightly bigger ship and, although I think I would prefer the cosiness of a smaller ship, I'm willing to keep an open mind about the Westerdam.

I am not an experienced cruiser, like many on this board, as this will only be my third cruise, but we liked our last Holland America cruise ship so much we barely checked out the competition before booking this cruise. If you like peace and quiet, interesting conversation, excellent service and great food (I know this is a controversial subject but, if I don't have to prepare it, serve it and clean up after it - it's GREAT!), you'll enjoy a Holland America cruise. And the experienced cruisers on this board are SOOOOO helpful - just ask them anything!

We have looked at some of the excursions, but have not booked anything yet. We are going with another couple and will brainstorm with them when deciding. I know my husband would like to fly to one of the glaciers, but flying is not my thing so he can go with the other male in the party. We also heard about a rafting trip which sounds interesting. I just enjoy being on the ship, relaxing. checking out all the food and being pampered. The ports are a nice change but not as important to me - I'm really more interested in the scenery and maybe being able to catch a view of some whales.

Do you have any excursions planned yet?

Ali

Archived