Disappointing Solo Experience on the Getaway

zephyrgirl

First, I want to say that I had a fun cruise and met some nice folks and had a couple of very nice meals. But I can't really give any of the credit for that to the Solo Coordinator, Lio.

Things got off to a rocky start when Lio changed the first dinner reservation at the last minute and didn't inform either the restaurant or the people who had signed up. I only later found out through the grapevine of talking to other people who had happened to hear the announcement that was made in the Solo lounge immediately before the scheduled dinner.

I spoke with guest services about it and met with one of the Assistant Cruise Directors who ensured me he'd reinforce that Lio needed to contact people when he had to move a reservation. I never did find out why the reservation was moved - especially as the restaurant had it for the original time.

Fast forward to the last night, where 4 of us had signed up for a dinner at Cagney's - we'd all signed up for the dinner by midweek. The dinner was then changed (again last minute) because there wasn't room at Cagney's. We all felt pretty sure that this was because Lio had waited until that day to try and make the reservation. We rolled with it and ended up at Le Bistro for a nice final dinner, but the change seemed completely avoidable.

I think based on this experience, I'll probably go back to RCI for my next cruise. Assigned dining really takes the pressure off of trying to figure out who to eat with and NCL's attempt to remedy that through having a Solo Coordinator just didn't cut it for me. YMMV.

Sorry you had a bad experience! I loved the solo studio and lounge but I was admittedly not seeking out table mates. I believe we had a different solo host, I want to say Rowena or Rochele or something like that, and I heard from others that things like group excursions went well.

I am intrigued by Anthem's studios, but still working up the nerve to take on the NJ departure as a solo who has never been north of DC. :) (Several fellow solos are helping me along with this.)

...was no problem. Driving in New Jersey,however, could be a problem for the meek. I have visited all 50 states, all the provinces of Canada and 26 Countries. Thus, I have driven in a lot of places. When driving in New Jersey I found that you either drive aggressively, like everybody else, or you spend a lot of time being honked at or cut off.:eek: But, I do it again if it meant another great cruise out of NJ like my last one.

• 4 weeks later...

having the "wrong" host for the Solotraveller makes the difference.

I have been on Epic 3 times in a Studio so far and it was great. 2 times the host was really good in getting us together (was the same host) but was a bit pussy to get a "well done Card"

The 3rd time with a new host getting together for dinner was not so successfull. However that host was doing other things like a wine tasting, Food tasting during the Get2gether with no extra Charge. Which was great too!

I would always go back to a Studio when travelling alone

having the "wrong" host for the Solotraveller makes the difference.

I have been on Epic 3 times in a Studio so far and it was great. 2 times the host was really good in getting us together (was the same host) but was a bit pussy to get a "well done Card"

The 3rd time with a new host getting together for dinner was not so successfull. However that host was doing other things like a wine tasting, Food tasting during the Get2gether with no extra Charge. Which was great too!

I would always go back to a Studio when travelling alone

What was the host name and which ship?

I am quite sure that it has not changed and the "solo host" is just a member of the cruise director staff who instead of hosting a basketball game or a trivia session takes care of the studio lounge. It is not like the concierge for the suite guests a dedicated person taking care of everything.